Black screen upon level start

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Black screen upon level start

Post by Rex Claussen »

Rex Claussen wrote:It *never* happens on my 64-bit version GZDooM v1.89 with no dedicated graphics card (laptop & desktop machines).
I just installed v2.3.0 on my 64-bit laptop (integrated graphics chip) and tried to run Paranoiac. It's all black. Same with v2.2.0. v2.1.1 doesn't run, and gives me the following error:
'GL_ARB_sampler_objects' extensio not found. Please update your graphics driver.

Then, I tried other mods [ToTA, a Quake 2 mod, Fear Station: Charlie] and they all displayed correctly. Could there be something in Paranoiac that is messing up GZDooM? It's clearly a conflict with something in the recent versions of GZDooM, as the game plays fine in earlier versions.

For now I have reverted to 1.8.9, which (for me) is the most stable version.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Looks like Kappes Buur has raised an issue for it on the bug tracker and I've commented to link back to this thread. Here's hoping something here can trigger an idea of what might be causing this.

https://mantis.zdoom.org/view.php?id=141

Does Graf have access to the Paranoiac files (I think he does)? Given that it happens so reliably with the mod, it would make sense for him to have access to help him debug this if he doesn't already.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I haven't seen it yet. What do I need to do?
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

After the screen turns black, except for sky and weapon, when I use Alt+Enter to toggle between fullscreen and windowed, the textures are visible again for a brief moment. For some reason IDBEHOLD is an unknown command for me in either ZDoom or GZDoom.

It seems odd that maps in the 20's are affected.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Graf Zahl wrote:I haven't seen it yet. What do I need to do?
What works for me is loading up Paranoiac (Paranoid + the Paranoiac add on file), warp to map21 and move around for a bit. It's usually just a few seconds before things go black for me (you can see how long it takes in the video that I posted earlier and the difference that the different fog settings make).
If you haven't got the file, I've just checked and you were on the circulation list for a PM that Eruanna sent out with the updated file on Jan 18th.

Kappes Buur wrote:For some reason IDBEHOLD is an unknown command for me in either ZDoom or GZDoom.
It's not a console command but one of the old Doom cheats - so you type it during the game screen.
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

Enjay wrote: It's not a console command but one of the old Doom cheats - so you type it during the game screen.
Hmmm ...

And in autoexec.cfg:
  • sv_cheats 1
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

As I said, it's not a console command, so don't type it at the console. :P

It's one of the old Doom cheats. Just type it during the normal gameplay screen. You won't see anything coming up until you complete the code; just like IDKFA etc etc
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

Enjay wrote:As I said, it's not a console command, so don't type it at the console. :P
Teaching an old dog old tricks.
No wonder it never worked for me. :shock:
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You can also do "give infrared" if you prefer the console.
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

resolved, see MANTIS
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Good news. Thanks for your attention to this Graf.

I see that it was the negative fog density value in the MAPINFO that was causing the problem. That explains why Paranoiac was causing the problem so reliably.

The fix says that GZDoom now clamps things to valid values (0 to 255 if I'm reading it correctly) but the Paranoiac MAPINFO should, of course, be fixed too.

[edit] I see it's been discussed in the Paranoiac thread too. [/edit]
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Enjay wrote:I see that it was the negative fog density value in the MAPINFO that was causing the problem....

The fix says that GZDoom now clamps things to valid values (0 to 255 if I'm reading it correctly) but the Paranoiac MAPINFO should, of course, be fixed too.
So, any suggestions for a suitable fog density "positive" value?

Return to “Closed Bugs”