Looking forward to a sequel to DOOM from 2016 and random thoughts on the matter.

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Davitch
Phobos Directive

Looking forward to a sequel to DOOM from 2016 and random thoughts on the matter.

Post by Davitch »

As everyone who is reading gaming news and was a fan of Doom (2016) probably already knows, Pete Hines from Bethesda did at one point perhaps drop a subtle hint for a sequel, and said that E3 is the "...hell on earth time for us":

https://www.dualshockers.com/bethesdas- ... 18-lineup/ (in the first paragraph of the quote from Pete Hines)

I realize they have already revealed Rage 2, which looks promising to me, but I'm just really keeping my hopes up that Id software has been extra busy and will reveal a Doom: Hell on Earth at E3 this year, or otherwise hopefully soon after.

I realize that some people are, and justifiably so, annoyed that Doom (2016) was called just plain DOOM. I personally feel like DOOM is an okay title because of the fact that the original Doom has, in effect (though not entirely), been renamed to The Ultimate Doom. If, in the sequel, they are going for the hell-making-it-to-earth idea again, which seems likely, I think it would be fitting if the title was just "Doom: Hell on Earth". It's not as distinguished from "Doom II: Hell on Earth" (1994) as "DOOM" is from "The Ultimate Doom", but I suppose they could also call it "Doom on Earth". If they called it simply "Doom 2" or "Doom II" though, that would in my opinion be very bad on account of zero distinguishing between the title names. Anyway those are just my thoughts on the matter of the title.

Reflecting on Doom (2016), I seriously love that game, but ever since the first Quakecon trailer (with the Cyberdemon walking around and opening a door), I had always wondered about the Cyberdemon's broken horn. I always thought it would have been bad ass if they had had a 'story' element of how he lost part of his horn previously. I thought it would have been really cool if the Doom Slayer encountered the Cyberdemon in-game before having the actual boss battle, and managed to get separated from him after breaking off a piece of his horn. To be sure, I really like Doom (2016) and play it all the time, but the only thing that disappointed me about it (aside from my nitpick that the campaign could have been a little longer) was that there weren't, to me, enough little in-game plot elements like "How the Cyberdemon lost his horn" (Haha, that sound's like a crazy Doom-themed version of a Dr. Seuss book, or am I thinking of Aesop's Fables?). And I know they were basically going for the "throw the story out the window and kill demons" kind of approach, but I hope they have just a little more cinematic/story element to the sequel. One things for sure, there should definitely be the Icon of Sin, or some other huge, bad ass final boss.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I can't wait for Bethesda E3!
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: Looking forward to a sequel to DOOM from 2016 and random thoughts on the matter.

Post by Rex Claussen »

I might come across as a curmudgeon, but I seem to have lost interest in actually playing games any more. The only link I seem to have with computer games is in development. In fact, I tire of play-testing my own levels very quickly, so I look upon it as a necessary chore.

[I didn't mean to rain on your parade, and I hope you enjoy the DooM 2016 sequel.]
Davitch
Phobos Directive

Re: Looking forward to a sequel to DOOM from 2016 and random thoughts on the matter.

Post by Davitch »

Hey Rex! No worries, I know the feeling of lacking interest in playing video games. I get that way for months and months on end sometimes. I also definitely know how it is with play-testing one's own maps. I personally get the most enjoyment out of mapping with building the map architecture itself.

I'm not sure if you have checked out/had interest in the new Doom game from 2016, but if not, If you are able to get into it, I would highly recommend it. If you pick one new game to play, I would very much so encourage that game to be the new Doom. It's totally fantastic, and while Doom 3 is decent in my opinion, this Doom blows Doom 3 completely out of the water. Everything about it is very satisfying and hard-hitting, right down to Mick Gordon's magnificent soundtrack. (Mick uses an 8 string heavy metal guitar, and very punchy drums and some synths for an ultra-powerful, heavy metal and industrial sound. His music has inspired me to want to get an 8 string guitar someday.) The guns are beyond bad ass, and the demons will literally rip the player character apart if you slip up. It's also of course extremely gruesome and violent. Sorry if I'm pushing this on you too much, but I seriously can't recommend it enough. While it will never be quite as good as classic Doom, I can pretty much say I have not enjoyed a video game this much since playing Doom in 1994-1995, with the (maybe) possible exception of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, the first real open-world game I played. So anyway, if you choose to play one new game let it be Doom 2016 :)

P.S.- Off-topic, but speaking of soundtracks, all though I have not been active with this in a long time, I still would love to contribute music to the Persecution Complex projects, but due to lack of musical inspiration and other things I might not be able to do full soundtracks for future projects. I still have a lot of snippets of ideas and things in the works for Temple of The Ancients though.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Davitch wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:42....if you choose to play one new game let it be Doom 2016 :)
If/when I take a break from development, I'll consider buying DooM 2016 & playing it.
... I still would love to contribute music to the Persecution Complex projects, but due to lack of musical inspiration and other things I might not be able to do full soundtracks for future projects. I still have a lot of snippets of ideas and things in the works for Temple of The Ancients though.
Let's continue this discussion in The Persecution Complex forums. Specifically, look in the sub-forum named Paranoix.
JasinSwift

Post by JasinSwift »

Eh, I think a sequel will come out, but when ... But Serious Sam is promised.

Return to “Off-Topic”