Forgotten Doom Engine Based Games.

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Personally I like the whole Hexen environment far more than Doom. My current project started out as a Hexen map, but somewhere along the line it changed to doom (I forget why, but the end atmosphere will still be the same, not that it's like either Hexen or Doom).

I've said it before, but I'm tired of seeing doom mods with the same general thems about demon invasions, space themes, etc. I'd love to see a full out Hexen mod with the scale of some of the larger doom projects out there. But as far as Hexen goes, just the three different classes along throw in another development angle that makes it more difficult to produce something.

I wonder how UltimateDoomer's Hexen project is coming along. Not much as far as updates on that project.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I thought it would be fun to do a bunch of "Crossover" mods for Hexen. Each class would use the four coolest weapons form one or another mod.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

I prefer the original Doom environment, as seen as IWADs. For some odd reason, many maps, single-maps including, tend to lose that feeling :? Especially those mods that try to mix Doom with something cartoonish.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

chopkinsca wrote:I've said it before, but I'm tired of seeing doom mods with the same general thems about demon invasions, space themes, etc.
Yeah, I know what you mean. It's a natural thing, I guess, and perfectly understandable but if you dip into the Wolfenstein community, you'll find endless variations on the "The Nazis are doing something in an old castle under the order of some Baron or General" (usually with a ridiculous Deutsche-English name) theme, Half-life has "teh scientists have gone too far" mods, quake always has something to do with slipgates etc etc
Paul

Post by Paul »

The variations of the original theme, many times crappier than original ones, simply kill the feeling of the game. Maybe it's a good idea to make something unique rather than beatin the old horse, be it Doom or Strife.
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

That's my philosophy right there.
But I have a fascination of the weird and uncommon anyway.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

jallamann wrote:But I have a fascination of the weird and uncommon anyway.
Like Warcraft Doom? ;)
farlowj

Post by farlowj »

You know, it could just be that people don't want to make new sprites for their mods, so they use the original monsters, and the only story that really fits with the old monsters involves teleporting and that crap. For the UAC North mod I'm slowly working on, I've come up with a story that doesn't directly involve teleporting, it involves some experiments from using some stuff from real life, I don't want to get into to it too much, but I'm trying to use real world research and mix it in with the old doom monsters, plus a few new ones. It's pretty tough.

However, if anyone wants to do a hexen mod, I would definately be interested.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I agree with FarlowJ to a certain degree about sprites, but looking at it again, some mods possess enough atmosphere factor that allows doomy monsters to certainly fit to the world, whereas the world not necessarily being a poor original Doom rip-off, like Cold as Hell, which in my eyes, deserves Action Doom's scepter and RTC's crown as it totally owns them.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

I think a nice little 3 map conversion involving Heretic stuff might be cool in a Doom map(with some Doom monsters as well but Heretic themed).
jallamann

Post by jallamann »

Silver Sonic wrote:
jallamann wrote:But I have a fascination of the weird and uncommon anyway.
Like Warcraft Doom? ;)
If it should ever be finished, I don't think I'd release it... Blizzard are kinda tough on their copyright policies. But if I can write a tool that'll extract the needed data from WoW or make a tool that will check for an installation of it... Then maybe. It's not on my priority list anyways.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

farlowj wrote:You know, it could just be that people don't want to make new sprites for their mods, so they use the original monsters, and the only story that really fits with the old monsters involves teleporting and that crap.
Oh, absolutely. If you want to make a level, then the obvious thing to do is to stick with the basic theme of the game. Departing from the original theme can very quickly make the original game resources inappropriate - and therefor a whole bunch of extra work looms over the horizon.

What's more, the original stories are usually pretty entertaining and part of what attracted the player to the game in the first place. Changing them means potentially a less appealing story/game with less well made or balanced monsters, less good looking textures but all taking more work.

However, it does get a be same-old same-old. I wonder how many WADs in the archive basically repeat the Doom story in their text file.
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

I'd like to see some Heretic and Hexen wads more than Doom wads as well.....I hardly have any Heretic wads :(
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There isn't much good for Heretic.

By far the best thing is Udderdude's Hordes of Chaos (despite the idiotic level names) - which adds a lot of Doom and Hexen monsters, so it isn't even particularly faithful!
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

My problem with Heretic is that the weapons felt like dull and uninspired medievalised versions of the Doom weapons with the fun factor removed. The idea of "toming" the weapons was cool though. The firemace "steel bubble blower" was just shit as an ultimate weapon.

Hexen had better weapons IMO but only 4 per class was far too few for to play through a full game of 30 or so levels. Especially as the game has quite a variety of monsters. It meant you went too long with a very limited choice of which weapon to use against the bad guys. Again, some nice ideas: like finding the ultimate weapon in sections and assembling it, but it would have been better if the sections were usable somehow, like the Strife Sigil.

Weapon-wise, Strife was really only missing a shotgun IMO. None of the weapons in Strife filled the niche occupied by the "blam-chikchik" multi-pelleted action of the Doom shotty. :D

Return to “Off-Topic”