IF I were to make a (G)ZDoom mod...

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Interesting. Obviously I'm aware of the Red Cross and the roots of the symbol. However, like the concern expressed in that article, I did pretty much assume that the symbol had essentially become a public domain and easily recognisable symbol for first-aid/ medical services and supplies etc. I suspect, the reality is that's actually what has happened already and perhaps there isn't too much the Red Cross can do about it. The first aid kits at my work all have green crosses on them though.

Mind you, the Red Cross were recently reported as considering a symbol less easily identifiable with a Christian (or any other religion) symbol - thereby making it possible for them to use the same symbol all over the globe instead of region specific symbols as they do ATM. (I think they use a red crescent in some Islamic countries.) Perhaps this copyright issue is part of the thrust behind the proposed change too. I think they were considering a red gem.
Bashe

Post by Bashe »

WTF? Oh my god, this is getting fucking stupid...suicide doesn't seem so wrong anymore... :(
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Laughing my ass off. No, seriously. The gaming industry is the fastest developing branch of interactive media, therefor, thousands are invested there, therefor.. it's the richiest. And from time to time a wise guy comes up with a brilliant idea to suck some cash out of the industry. The gaming companies are too busy with developing the games, but I do suggest they hire lawyers. Good ones infact, so they can rail that guy's butt.

This reminds of the case 2 polish wise guys were claiming to be the authors of the the Matrix, which we know who wrote the screenplay for (Wachowski brothers, tsk tsk).
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

I suddenly have a flashback to a few years ago, when that guy who claimed to have invented and patented the algorithms to display 3D on a computer monitor had tried to sue all the game companies in existence.
The HavoX

Post by The HavoX »

wildweasel wrote:I suddenly have a flashback to a few years ago, when that guy who claimed to have invented and patented the algorithms to display 3D on a computer monitor had tried to sue all the game companies in existence.
I REMEMBERED THAT.

There hasn't been any news on that since.
Paul

Post by Paul »

wildweasel wrote:I suddenly have a flashback to a few years ago, when that guy who claimed to have invented and patented the algorithms to display 3D on a computer monitor had tried to sue all the game companies in existence.
Not shitting me? Human stupidity peak therefor has just been set to a higher level.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

But, at the same time, they do have a point. Victims of their own success, I guess. The Red Cross is an organisation with a registered, copyrighted logo. It's theirs, it represents them. It actually isn't (or isn't intended to be) a public domain universal symbol for first aid/ healthcare when the Red Cross are not involved. I believe they do stamp on other companies slapping a red cross on their products (which is presumably why all the stuff at my work has a green cross on it).

However, as I said before, they may be too late. They may not want it to be a universal symbol for first aid, but effectively that's what it has become - and certainly not just because of video games.
Paul

Post by Paul »

green cross
And in Operation Overlord ;) but that's quite an idea abot medpacks in games.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

As for the Topic:
If I was to make a (G)ZDoom mod, I would finish DRD (the project, not the site); seriously, where's Grubber when you need him.

I'd like him to establish a hosted site for the project. I have just started working on it again. WoooHooo!
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hobbs

Post by Hobbs »

ellmo wrote:As for the Topic:
If I was to make a (G)ZDoom mod, I would finish DRD (the project, not the site); seriously, where's Grubber when you need him.

I'd like him to establish a hosted site for the project. I have just started working on it again. WoooHooo!
Did you, by chance, post before you read the thread? Or are you trying to do this?
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

As mentioned above... I was reffering to the topic's name, which is admittably very misleading. However I did read the whole thread before posting.
chopkinsca

Post by chopkinsca »

Bashe wrote:WTF? Oh my god, this is getting fucking stupid...suicide doesn't seem so wrong anymore... :(
Yes, please do. If something so insignificant gives you suicidal thoughts, then I'd hate to see how you'd freak out if something that actually mattered happened.
Jehar

Post by Jehar »

Be nice to Bashe...

As for the 'topic', I do see Enjays point on this, and I wouldn't mind seeing some other symbols used from time to time, but the tone of the letter really doesn't lend itself well to being taken seriously. The Red Cross is one of those symbols that, even though it is under protection, it is so widely used that it is pretty damn close to being universal and generic, such as in the case of Kleenex and Coke.

Return to “Off-Topic”