[Help] ATI drivers screwing up

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

[Help] ATI drivers screwing up

Post by Paul »

Argh. First I need to cool down.

Awright, when using some applications that require 3d acceleratoin and are windowed (such as Gmax or Serious Editor) often, all of a sudden, the 3d accelerator screws up, VPU recover switches on, I have to restart my comp. I've got a Radeon 9200 SE, Direct x 9 and DNA 2.2.34a modified catalyst drivers.

What to download? Where to look? What to do? Please help.

I'm really green in this area, so I appreciate any advice in how to solve this fucking problem. God damn it.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Ati.com, follow the 'Drivers & Software' link, select your OS, then your Card, then the driver.

The latest supported version of the Catalyist is 6.5. If that's not what you are using, try installing it. If that doesn't help, check the website for the software that causes the problem, and see if thier technical support is any good.

If you're using Windows, you might head over to microsoft.com and see if you've got the latest DirectX as well.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Seems to have remedied the situation. Thanks man =)
Spectere

Post by Spectere »

For the record, every time I've tried to use hacked Catalyst drivers with my ATI-powered systems (both are laptops, my old one has an IGP 320M and my current one has an X300) I've had really odd problems, like overlays refusing to work (for video playback and the like), occasional BSODs when initializing a screen resolution, and certain resolutions just not working properly. Certainly not worth the ~3fps increase in either case, and the newer driver version didn't even fix the issue that causes my system to BSOD if I exit ZZT when it's in full screen mode (yes, that game from 1991; and yes, I'm dead serious).

So no, you're definitely not the only one who's been bitten by "enhanced" drivers, if that makes you feel any better. :)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nope it doesn't make me feel any better, because I've managed to remedy the situation sometime ago ;) . The new Catalysts work better than evar and nothing hangs up fatally on my comp. Even old stuff runs faster than usual. But you have a point there with custom modified stuff being able to cause fire.

Anyway, case solved. I would close this, but I'll leave it for opinions/posts.
Spectere

Post by Spectere »

I haven't had a problem with the Catalyst drivers on the desktop ATI system that I use (my system at work has a RADEON 9600 Pro). The only real reason I looked into hacked drivers for my laptop is because OEMs are bad at keeping updated drivers available, and you can't just install ATI's, unfortunately.

Return to “Off-Topic”