What's the most important thing in doom maps!?

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.

What's the most important thing?

You may select 1 option

View results

Post by Alter »

Phobus wrote:Hmm, this is true, though it's worth noting that (from my own experience, both as a player and a mapper) a short, sharp and to the point map that plays well is better than a massive sprawling map that has average gameplay at best.

I've had e-mails thanking me for the shorter wads I've made, in particular Scourge, but also Scars of the Wounded Prey. On the other hand, looking at the /idgames archive, Warpzones biggest failing is just how long it takes to play.

If an area is a real drag to make, and you've got no ideas whatsoever then there's only one thing between you and your choice of whether you make it or not. That thing is how vital it is to the map. If it's the only route forwards, then you've got to either do it, or make something different in it's place. If it's a push at non-linearity then you can do without it, more often than not.

Of course, if you can make a gigantic sprawling map with ace gameplay (ZDCMP1), then you have an instant winner :P
Well i'm able to make very large maps but not with ace gameplay ;) though here's the confirmation about one thing!

Balanced insane battles in a trapped arena is very good idea! I checked it out myself and sent paul xenus 2 demo to check out if unfinished maps are in good condition :P and... idea with insane battles was a winner ;)
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

Phobus wrote:I've had e-mails thanking me for the shorter wads I've made, in particular Scourge, but also Scars of the Wounded Prey. On the other hand, looking at the /idgames archive, Warpzones biggest failing is just how long it takes to play.
Large maps may not necessarily be bad. It's true that in Doom a lot of large maps (Hi Hellcore) are disliked because people will get lost. If there was some guidance like objectives display, or wall signs where to go and such getting lost would be a matter of thinking. Take System Shock 2 for instance, you pretty much know where to go. And in Future Shock? The areas are humongous and without them objectives window you'd not know what to do.
alterworldruler wrote:dea with insane battles was a winner Wink
Well, intensive battles are always better.

Post by Alter »

Paul wrote:
Phobus wrote:I've had e-mails thanking me for the shorter wads I've made, in particular Scourge, but also Scars of the Wounded Prey. On the other hand, looking at the /idgames archive, Warpzones biggest failing is just how long it takes to play.
Large maps may not necessarily be bad. It's true that in Doom a lot of large maps (Hi Hellcore) are disliked because people will get lost. If there was some guidance like objectives display, or wall signs where to go and such getting lost would be a matter of thinking. Take System Shock 2 for instance, you pretty much know where to go. And in Future Shock? The areas are humongous and without them objectives window you'd not know what to do.
alterworldruler wrote:dea with insane battles was a winner Wink
Well, intensive battles are always better.
Well i'm making second insane battle now ;) though it needs good balancing it's 640x640 arena vs 48 imps is impossible with SSG haha so it needs to be increased into 1024x1024 sure this is fun :D
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

48 imps in a single room? They best be put in strategic places rather than just left to wander around all together aimlessly.

Post by Alter »

Phobus wrote:48 imps in a single room? They best be put in strategic places rather than just left to wander around all together aimlessly.
I changed that to 1024x1024 arena and added 16 imps and there's enough place to run&shoot at the same time tested it out and it works fine though there's one con I MUST ADD HEALTH BEFORE BATTLE
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

If you're just dancing around in a big square room with 64 imps, I fear your 'highly intense' battle, is just going to be tedious.

Post by Alter »

Phobus wrote:If you're just dancing around in a big square room with 64 imps, I fear your 'highly intense' battle, is just going to be tedious.
Well previous arena was not cramped but with this one it's problem to make it less crampy!
Paul

Post by Paul »

That depends on the weapons. Only with the shotgun it will most certainly be tedious. With the chaingun or chainsaw it'll be better IMO.

Post by Alter »

Paul wrote:That depends on the weapons. Only with the shotgun it will most certainly be tedious. With the chaingun or chainsaw it'll be better IMO.
Super shotgun is in arena to make it more balanced IMO, with only single shotgun it would be not funny anymore like it was in first arena battle (Xenus 2 map03), i feel that i'm doing a good job with making insane battles because they're not tedious and balanced :D though i'm resting today from mapping reason: Lost any ideas
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Well, as long as you're sure, I'll reserve my judgements until I see it.

Post by Alter »

I forgot to explain that arena precisely: Imps are coming from outside 1024x1024 arena to make it fair and not stupid after you beat them switch arises to unlock path to pre-boss path (Xenus 2 map03) sorry i didn't explain it precisely earlier

Post by Alter »

C'mon there's something left to tell newbies? :P

Concept of balancing is rare today, it means that every map is balanced on it's own set difficulty example: Xenus 2 map01 is very easy but map03 seems
normal in difficulty that includes health and ammo placing!
Paul

Post by Paul »

How about this rule - don't listen to rules and continue to map and gather skill with experience.

But, DON'T release your bad maps. Upon release, make sure they are good!]

EDIT: Here's a good rule. Don't follow idiots like Gamarra wads author who do stupid stuff to just piss people off. Stay cool, man.
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Playtesting do alot of playtesting even if you are sure that no bugs remain sooner or later there will be an few things that needs fixing.Playtest on all skill levels in various ports on your system openGL and Software types would be good to test your map on.

When playtesting concentrate on various things like gameplay misaligned stuff bugs that could cause players to get stuck, try to imagine your an player who plays the map for the first time think of what things could possibly be annoying to an player.

Just things I do when playtesting my maps.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

If ever you make something that you've genuinely impressed yourself with, it might be time to make a series based on that concept. However, you have to keep it fresh, or it'll go wrong. Adding fresh ideas to part of a series of maps where things have a good theme can result in some of the best ideas and most memorable scenes/parts ever.

Return to “Off-Topic”