ellmo's 3d gallery

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

ellmo's 3d gallery

Post by ellmo »

I'm just starting my adventure with 3D modelling (yes, I have never ever done it before, k?).

I would like to start with a model of weapon, which I have imagined. It's rather easy to do, when it comes to geometry, so don't worry about it when I get the hang of it. But I need to learn basics - and I mean basics of basics here - before I build anything.

I know Paul has some experience with 3D modelling, so I ask you brother to give me a hand - simply, tell me where to find tutorials for begginers, and recommend me a application to learn. I have downloaded 3D studio max 7.0, but it seems my ambition carried me one step ahead of my skill ;) .

If anyone else has some experience in this subject, please feel free to reply. Thanks.
Last edited by ellmo on Sun Sep 18, 2005 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

//DOUBLE POST BONUS +5 CREDITS//

Oh, nevermind, just downloaded GMax which seems to be 3Ds Max' younger brother (I really didn't know that before), with a set of nice tutorials. For a few days (weeks, if I'm doing well) I will have something to do.

Anyway, it's a good idea to have a discussion on modelling. Perhaps you guys have some models of yours. Anything. Please show.
Perhaps you have advices for a beginner... I will accept all of them.
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

I can 3d model a very, very tiny bit. And its been a very long time. :/
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Wow, this is uber fantastic... I have finished few first tutorials quickly... some of the tools are hard to understand, but the most commonly used are nearly intuitive. Even an ignorant like me learnt how to do a complicated model in a few hours.

Today I have started modelling a weapon I made up (Don't worry Paul, it never had and will not have anything to do with ROne). It's different from the one I mentioned before, much more complicated if it comes to geometry. It already has 1779 polygons (In one day!), and looks monstrously... at least IMO.

Of course it doesn't have texture. I may be a sculptor, but when it comes to painting... I'm damn blind.
Attachments
PPAR1.JPG
PPAR1.JPG (9.31 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
PPAR2.jpg
PPAR2.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
PPAR3.JPG
PPAR3.JPG (18.57 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Nice, though it looks like a hand-vac
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

I knew someone would say this... I have already made a handle, maybe now it looks less vacuum-cleaner'ish
Attachments
PPAR_3.JPG
PPAR_3.JPG (23.2 KiB) Viewed 4649 times
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Its a rather bizzare weapon :D.

Am I right in guessing that you are using Milkshape?

:twisted:
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

using GMax, Lexus... And it is a Bizzare weapon, as NMN once stated that some of my futuristic weapons don't look futuristic enough... So this one will have ergonomy worth the 25th century... or something.
Attachments
PPAR
<br />Precision Plasma assault rifle
<br />-=Phase 4=-
PPAR
Precision Plasma assault rifle
-=Phase 4=-
PPAR_4.JPG (34.82 KiB) Viewed 4642 times
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

My peacemaker will devour that!
Attachments
minifun.png
minifun.png (191.84 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Awww... your Minifun is not even remotely as accurate as my PPAR! I own you!

Got any other Cutty? I like yer wepoon.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice guns dudes :)

@ellmo-the weapon looks pretty cool.
I also started as a modeller.

First of all I recomend the tutorials You got along with Gmax (or at least the most basic ones You should/could get from Discreet's site). You not need to learn the every modifier available (altohugh it is recomended) there but at least know the 3 basic modelling techniques, those are
box modelling (and variant-sub surface, or smoothing)
poly by poly,
and splines.

For something easy as a weapon it's best to build the thing out of modified primitives. For something complexed like a human face I think it's better to go poly by poly (yes, I've done human faces that way in the past ;) ) I never got along well with splines TBH.

Once You get the hang of the basic stuff I'll recomend the 3d total tutorials ( http://www.3dtotal.com ) yeah, I hate the ads as well on that site.. Remember, every tutorial for 3dsmax applies to Gmax. The Joan of Arc tutorial is excellent to get You started modelling stuff much more complexed than weapons (i.e. whole new characters-that's how I learned a thing or two). For now, let's not discuss subjects of animation ;)

I'll also ask-why You've chosen Gmax over 3dsmax? 3dstudio has rendering and plugin support, plus, on Your boosted computer it should run like a warm knife through butter (i.e. smooth). I strongly recomend using 3dsmax instead of gmax, because there's no difference in learning either of them.. both have same stuff. As I said, 3ds has rendering and a couple other things.
I used G because simply-I had no alternative. My mate who promised me the cd with 3dS never realised his promise. With rendering, You can pretty much get away with procedural textures to create textures, details and bump-maps (i.e. no need for painting skills ;) ) nevertheless, I'll advise learning a thing or two on textures, but we'll leave it for the future. Modifying photos to suit UV maps is one thing, but airbrushing the base and hand-painting the textures (clouds + layers combo) is a must if You want total control. You'll need art skills though ;)

The gun looks pretty cool. My concern with Your guns was, when comparing them with some of the concept art I downloaded for purposes of design inspiration (I got concept art for UT weapons, Halo, Doom3 fortress and some other I can't name.. most of stuff I use for inspiration is either some sci-fi fps stuff or Feng Zhu's stuff) looked, well they lacked details a bit.. I had to spice them. And yep, a smooth shape does underline a weapon's futuristic origin.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Thanks Paul. I have already gone through a few first GMax tutorials, and they were extremly helpful. I'm using GMax, cuz I don't have need for 3Ds max advanced options. What I need to to now, is to learn - as you said - total control over my polygons and figures (with wich I am doing pretty fine right now). After then I will spare numerous hours on learning animation... Rendering may come later. Oh, and 3Ds max is not freeware, while GMax is ;) .

In reference to techniques you have mentioned - I am doing this model almost completely manually, the only modifiers I use are Extruding / Beveling / Chamfering, and Dividing polygons, and their edges into lesser, more adjustable ones. Every vertex or other object I move, I move typing coordinates from keyboard, to make sure my gun is perfectly shapely. It's hard, but it teaches patience and precision. That, combined with original ideas for model (which I belive I have) is the most important thing.

I fear to ask... NMN have you got some of your models anymore?
Attachments
PPAR Drawing
PPAR Drawing
PPAR_0.JPG (45.78 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
PPAR with full buttstock, and improved under-chasis handle.
PPAR with full buttstock, and improved under-chasis handle.
PPAR_7.JPG (26.96 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
PPAR with the first version of buttstock.
PPAR with the first version of buttstock.
PPAR_6.JPG (36.1 KiB) Viewed 4610 times
NecroMage

Post by NecroMage »

[jawdropmode]thats awesome stuff there, i wish i good do a decent paint drawing but alas such talents i do not posses.[/jawdropmode]
Cutmanmike

Post by Cutmanmike »

http://cutmanmike.deviantart.com/

Check this for a few bits.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

I assume you stopped being a modeller, cutty. Not much to see there, but as everyone else stated, you're good at modleing swords ;)

Return to “Off-Topic”