Was this a good idea?

Anything that doesn't fit into other forums.
Pluck101

Was this a good idea?

Post by Pluck101 »

Ok I was planning on telling all of you guys and gals sooner. So i guess ill tell you now. But first i have to explain somethings
1) I am a highschool student
2) The city that i live in contains 7 (public) schools.
3) All of these schools share a single network, interconnected by EVERY computer in the schools. So that means i can look at the files of a computer from Knollwood(the school for kindergarden) while on a computer in Brookside(the highschool,which is about a mile away).

Heres my little story...
Ok so i was at home playing on GZDoom (which i have on my flash drive) when i had a WONDERFUL idea. I put my flash drive in my bookbag and quickly developed my devious plan. I went to school about 10 minutes early the next day and snuck into the school library and logged onto a computer. I went into the network and found a folder that seemed like a good hiding place, so i plugged in my flash drive and put all of the necessary files to play Doom. I put Gzdoom, several IWADS, fmodex.dll, and several other files on in that folder and told a few of my closest friends. And because you can acess that whole network from any computer in any of our cities schools, VIOLA! I put a password on the folder so only a select (and lucky) few could play.

This was about 2 months ago...

Today i think it was a great idea. Any time im bored in the school, i pull up that folder and click the GZDoom icon, and play. I have put several wads that ive collected from corners of the internet and have really enjoyed it. I want to know what you guys in the community think. Is this a case of delinquency or genious?
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
PeskySaurus

Re: Was this a good idea?

Post by PeskySaurus »

well when i was still in high school the teacher actually let everyone put doom on the computer lab computers to play over network after we finished doing our work. this was back when doom was brand spanking new to the world too. i guess the teacher was a gamer or something.
"Maybe one day I can figure it out, till then I just put another cigarette out, pull up a chair, open a brew, sit on the porch, and do what I do..." -Rehab
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Frankly, I think it's ridiculous. School computers have been provided for good, honest educational purposes, not to allow someone to abuse the system to put some kind of murder simulator on the server and encourage other students to train using it. :P

[spoiler]Ummmm..., yeah, so anyway, back in the day when Doom was still in diapers I was one of the few teachers who actually knew how to do stuff on the network. So I used to run an after school Doom deathmatch club way back in late '93/early '94. ;)[/spoiler]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

/me blushes...

In High School, one time I put Doom on the school computers...

... yeah, not every teacher was happy about that. It got removed very quickly as soon as one or two select ones found out.

But while it was there, it was loads of fun. Unfortunately, it contributed to delinquency in my case. However, I wasn't doing anything at the time, so I doubt not having it would've helped... I really should've focused on schoolwork...
:oops:

Well, hey, you know, my purpose in this world isn't to have 10 billion kids and make billions of dollars. I'm in life to have fun, not to worry about the collapse of my family or the economy. Anyone is welcome to come along for the ride, too... it's not like it's hurting anything. I believe I was put on this planet for a purpose - and it has nothing to do with what I've done in school or even anything I'm doing now - and I think Doom counts as among the things it has nothing to do with.
Pluck101

Post by Pluck101 »

SoulPriestess wrote:It got removed very quickly as soon as one or two select ones found out.
Yeah they removed it too but i was prepared and reposted it another folder and im still playing it. But i have a question! Would it be possible to play a LAN game with GZDoom on the network at school? Cuz the only way i can play with other people is ZDaemon (the online source port). I wanted to know if i could set up a multiplayer (preferably co-op) on the network and play with a few of my buddies in one of my classes.
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Post by Firebrand »

LOL, I think you can play a co-op game on your school LAN, but I doubt it would be RIGHT, hehe! ;)
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power.....
InsanityBringer

Post by InsanityBringer »

I put Doom and Descent on a school computer once. My teacher was fine with it because I was constantly ahead in my work and it wasn't distracting anyone.
Remmirath
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Remmirath »

I've never been able to put Doom on my school computer because there weren't computers in my school. :P
SoulPriestess wrote:Good job, Morpheus! You are teh awesum!
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Post by Firebrand »

I did never had a chance to do it myself, the only things I would install on my school computers were SNES emulators and some games... they got deleted after a few times of using them thought.
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power.....

Return to “Off-Topic”