Make player able to phrone in GZDoom.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Barry

Make player able to phrone in GZDoom.

Post by Barry »

It was very nice when I saw the first time you could crouch in GZDoom. I have been wondering if you could make the player able to phrone
(lie on you stomach) and which will automaticlly increase the accuracy of your weapon when firing it. I am not sure, but this should
probably be done in wads made for GZDoom.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: Make player able to phrone in GZDoom.

Post by Gez »

This has zero chance of being put in; and is unneeded. There's enough complains about being able to crouch anyway.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Aright, but it would have been very nice in scary wads!
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

PLease don't repost stuff that was already rejected!
Barry

Post by Barry »

Why is phrone unneeded? Why was crouch then needed? I am not as smart than you people, but it is really strange to me, except if it would
take years of work.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Barry wrote:Why is phrone unneeded?
How would it sensibly enhance gameplay and level design?
Barry wrote:Why was crouch then needed?
To make levels with secret passages you have to crouch into (e.g., ventilation shafts).
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

What should going prone do? Presumably set the player's height and viewheight lower than crouch and slow him down more too? To be fair, in Doom, I don't really see that offering any great advantage over crouching. It would just mean that you could duck behind lower cover or get into smaller holes. There would be no huge advantage to any other aspect of Doom-engine based gameplay.

To me, going prone should be more than just setting the height of the player lower than crouch. It should be something that, of course, lowers the player's height and viewheight but it should probably also reduce movement to an absolute crawl, maybe alter the player's damage factor to make him take less damage indicating that he is harder to hit and also have some kind of tie-in with some new custom weapons that allows you to do things such as increase accuracy, or use a scope, or reduce recoil. Some of these things can be done already by various means but, to do it properly it would need to be part of a bigger modification and, much as I hate to say it, it does sound like the kind of modification that would need to "wait for Doomscript™".
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Also, being able to phone while lying prone isn't that interesting a thing to do.
Barry

Post by Barry »

It doesn't have to be a big thing, it can almost be just like in the game "Blood". There, when you crouched, you lie on the floor (your height is very low to the ground), and you could move fast. I know that GZDoom isn't the 3DRealms engine, but I think it is twenty times better than it.
Deathlike2

Post by Deathlike2 »

Being prone and moving fast can not possibly be in the same sentence unless you're a machine or something.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Aright, this is not going anywhere, just play Blood if you have it, and then you will see that your character moves rarely fast enough to be
able to move from one position to another one. I am not saying you should put it in, the main reason I am actually saying this, is because
when you crouch behind for example a box in a different wad, the monsters sometimes still hit you with there bullets and fireballs (It must
be that the upper part of your character must still be in sight even if it looks like you are behind cover).
This is almost probably a bug, but I thought I should put it in at Feature Suggestions. So hopefully after all that I am saying, you would understand why I am saying JUST MAKE THE MARINE ABLE TO PRONE!
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Barry wrote:Aright, this is not going anywhere!

I agree.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”