colored doors on the map and perceive items on map

Moderator: Graf Zahl

doomexpert

colored doors on the map and perceive items on map

Post by doomexpert »

I've got an new idea for gzdoom. when you look on the map(tab) then you can't see any yellow,red,blue key (when found) on the map where it is so is it not usefull to show the key when found or first show the first key what is needed in a level because it's a little frustrating because there is a lot of wads that you have to look everywhere, like puzzeling so you can use your tactics a little, it's better puzzeling. that combining with the colored doors on the map, normally when you arriving at a door where you need keys you set a markpoint so why not a colored door so you can find it easy back on the map once found it.

maybe also do it for some items like a radiation suite where you dont know where it is If you must go through a long radiation environment. so usefull things not like trees what standing in your way, they useless on the map. i think health package is usefull or weapons (not ammo).

what do you think? not bad is't it?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: colored doors on the map and perceive items on map

Post by Graf Zahl »

Of couse you can see colored doors. But not when you use traditional Doom colors - because Doom.exe never had this feature. You have to select custom colors (or Traditional Raven because Heretic and Hexen had colored doors)

For the radiation suit, no. If some mapper wants to do that there's already features that can make it happen - but not as a cheat.
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

oh your right, i got traditional doom color. thanks. But when i open the colored door then it dissapears, it must be visible all the times so it is easier to find it back. and the colored line is so tiny it must be like jdoom/doomday, there is it good visible. im not complaining but im just critical in certain things. but for me is it easier and maybe for a lot of people that the key are visible on map once found it so you dont have the key yet but you can see it where the location is, for instance you died there where the key is and you dont have it, then you look on tab and you can see the key where it is.

also named tags above the player so you can see who you playing with. skulltag online doesn't have that feature...but again you can give players a color if you play with 2 others for intance.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

doomexpert wrote:it must be visible all the times so it is easier to find it back.

Once you open a door that only gets triggered once it loses its lock so it shows as 'normal'. As for Doomsday, clearly a 'no'.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

The Doom automap has always had the ability to mark the map (pressing M on the map screen). A number gets placed on the map. So, you could just mark the map yourself when you find a door if you are worried about the colour disappearing.

If you are making a map, you can use map marker things to mark their location.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:MapMarker

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”