Old "standard" fog mode as an option

Moderator: Graf Zahl

phi108

Old "standard" fog mode as an option

Post by phi108 »

The Standard fog mode has been updated to behave similarly to how "radial" behaved once, or is acting similarly now. "Radial" mode always has caused fps lag when opening doors into new rooms. Now the "Standard" setting does it too, as I guess it brightens the area around the player like a lightbulb. There is now no way to enable fog without door opening lag on my system, so an "old Standard" fog mode would be welcome.

Is this related to GL_fog_shader? That setting has no effect, so I think it's from the shader options list that doesn't show up on every System.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Old "standard" fog mode as an option

Post by Graf Zahl »

You are looking in the wrong setting to disable it.
The brightening around the player is detemined by the Sector Light Mode, not the Fog mode.

Also, what hardware do you have. In response to 'it runs bad on my hardware' my standard response would be 'you have bad hardware'. The entire thing gives me no issues whatsoever on my 4+ years old system with a Geforce 8600GT.
phi108

Post by phi108 »

The door lag occurs on every Sector Light mode with fog on, but not when Fog Mode is set to Off.

I just tried the old Skulltag renderer with "shaders for fog" turned off, and it solves the problem. If GZDoom had this option available or if the console command had an effect, that might fix it.

This is the card that came in my Desktop

AMD 760G
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x9616)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9616&SUBSYS_83881043&REV_00
Display Memory: 1916 MB
Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
Shared Memory: 1663 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (70Hz)

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 220 Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Hm...

Budget DX10 chipset. That's a problem. Can you try starting GZDoom with '-sm3' on the command line?
phi108

Post by phi108 »

That solved the problem, Standard fog mode now has no problems, though it did disable "Doom" sector mode and radial fog mode. Does the new Doom mode act differently than in old versions and Skulltag? Dark sector mode seems adequate though for me.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Doom mode is basically Dark mode with a shader-based brightening around the player.
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

... and since the problem here is obviously shader performance it will cause problems.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions”