Dynamic lights

Need help with your project? Ask here.
Agentbromsnor

Dynamic lights

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Hello,

I am a active mapper with Doom Builder 2 for quite some time now. I've gotten used to making slopes, and I can easily make my way around the mapping-tools. However, I always wanted to incorporate dynamic lights, but I don't know how. I tried looking it up in tutorials like I usually do, but I couldn't find any that covered this issue surprisingly. If anybody could help me out, I would be thankfull.

Greetings from the Netherlands,
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Dynamic lights

Post by Enjay »

If you are looking at map placed dynamic lights, the pages listed here may help:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Category:Dynamic_light

for example http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:DynamicLight

If you want to attach lights to actors, then this would be the place to look:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/GLDEFS#Dynamic_light_definitions
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Agentbromsnor, I'm guessing you already know that dynamic lights can only be used in source ports that support OpenGL rendering (GZDooM, SkullTag, DooMsDay/jDooM, Vavoom, etc.) However, given that you're asking your question in a forum that hosts GZDooM, perhaps you are looking for specific help with GZDooM. At any rate, the links that Enjay provided ought to answer most, if not all, your questions. Meanwhile, you can also download wads that use an OpenGL source port, open them in an editor, and see how the authors have used dynamic lights.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I am aware that dynamic lights only work in OpenGL, but I'm used to mapping in ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format.

Enjay, I took a look at the pages you provided, but I have to admit that its like Arabic to me, but maybe I'm completely overlooking something. How can I add dynamic lights within Doom Builder 2? Do I need a script?

I don't know any WAD's from the top of my head that use dynamic lights, could you name some?

Thanks.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

If you are using the correct GZdoom config with DB2, the dynamic lights should be available. They are just things that you place in your map. eg:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:PointLight

See how that one lists the DoomEd number as 9800? Put a thing in your map wityh number 9800 and you have placed a light.

Then, again from the page, you need to set the arguments on the thing:

1: Red value of the light
2: Green value of the light
3: Blue value of the light
4: Intensity value of the light

These values can be 0-255. The first three set the colour of the light and #4 sets how wide the light will be. Other light things can flicker or pulse so there may be arguments to set the diameter of the bright and dull extremes or how often the flicker happens. The only time you might want to use scripting with them is to activate/deactivate them.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Agentbromsnor wrote:I don't know any WAD's from the top of my head that use dynamic lights, could you name some?Thanks.
Pretty much every GZDooM wad uses dynamic lights. However, to save you the trouble of downloading potentially large files just for this minor need, I am attaching a couple of wads (one of which Enjay had put together for me a couple of years ago when I was learning about GZDooM features).
light.wad
Point & Pulse Lights
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 347 times
light_NJ.wad
Point Lights
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
In case you feel more adventurous, download a recently released game for GZDooM called Paranoid that both Enjay and I worked on. It has loads of dynamic lights of all different kinds, including flickering lights associated with (and synchronized with) sectors, flickering lights associated with sparks, etc. Warning: It is a very large file (76 MB).
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

Enjay wrote:If you are using the correct GZdoom config with DB2, the dynamic lights should be available. They are just things that you place in your map. eg:

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:PointLight

See how that one lists the DoomEd number as 9800? Put a thing in your map wityh number 9800 and you have placed a light.

Then, again from the page, you need to set the arguments on the thing:

1: Red value of the light
2: Green value of the light
3: Blue value of the light
4: Intensity value of the light

These values can be 0-255. The first three set the colour of the light and #4 sets how wide the light will be. Other light things can flicker or pulse so there may be arguments to set the diameter of the bright and dull extremes or how often the flicker happens. The only time you might want to use scripting with them is to activate/deactivate them.
I still can't find it anywhere in Doom Builder 2. What kind of thing do I need to place, and where can I find it? I usually use ZDoom Doom in Hexen format, is that good?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Agentbromsnor wrote:I still can't find it anywhere in Doom Builder 2. What kind of thing do I need to place, and where can I find it? I usually use ZDoom Doom in Hexen format, is that good?
I don't use DB2 myself but, no, it looks like you are not using the right config. Use a GZdoom config, not a Zdoom one. Dynamic lights are not in Zdoom.

You could either get the config from the GZdoom download page or use Gez's config pack (which I believe is now packaged with development versions of DB2).

here
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4708
or here
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24807

Then open up one of the maps Rex posted and find the dynamic light objects.
Agentbromsnor

Post by Agentbromsnor »

I will try that out. Thanks alot for your help!

Edit: The first file is dead. :( The second one brings me to a page with 2 files, do I need any of these?

I will post an update on how everything worked out.
Zhadoom

Post by Zhadoom »

Hello Agentbromsnor!

Have you meanwhile solved the problem?
Seemes, that you need the correct editor number for the light things.

zhd
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Given that his last post on the matter was four years ago, it seems unlikely that he is still sitting waiting for an answer.

Topic locked. If there is a good reason to unlock it, I will do so.

Return to “Editing Help”