A retread AND a noob!

Need help with your project? Ask here.
LongForgotten

A retread AND a noob!

Post by LongForgotten »

Ok, I haven't edited DOOM in about 9 years, I think, and all my old tools don't work w' my version of windows!
So, here I am, starting from scratch.
Yes, i have a project going, but it's just a concept now. May never get made. lol But, i want to learn how to edit zdoom maps again. I can't remember any of it...Scripts? I forget.
Where should I start?

..Oh, here's my old crap!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

and what I'm working on now...

...Oh, and just for grins, here's my papercraft archive too

Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: A retread AND a noob!

Post by Rex Claussen »

The most commonly used map editor appears to be DooM Builder. For GZDooM maps, GDZooM Builder is available.

There are some tutorials on using DooM Builder, and an Internet search will give you a list.

If you want to modify & add resources (textures, weapons, enemies, decorations, etc.) try SLADE.

In terms of ZDooM features, in the past 9 years I'd have to say the main changes are the inclusion of portals & stacked sectors (to give the illusion of 3D sectors), voxels for more 3D-looking objects, etc. Scripting is likely very similar now to what you did 9 years ago.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Wow...I loved Darkest Hour.. lol

Thanks, I'll try those. I like this forum.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Ok, well those editors work GREAT! MUCH better than deepsea I was using. The controls and functions are a breeze to use.
I have about a hundred pieces of art in my "Grinch" folder(the stuff I'm working on link) including animation backgrounds NEVER seen before. It's all coming along.Dec 2016 is the 50th anniversary of the Grinch cartoon.

"For 52 years, I've put up with it now. I MUST stop Christmas from COMING...But, HOW?"
-The Grinch
lol
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Actually, DeepSea is considered a stable & versatile all-purpose editor. Some renowned modders (e.g., Enjay) continue to use it virtually exclusively for their mods. (If you're already familiar with its use you may be better off staying with it.)

Best wishes for your Grinch mod. It sounds like fun (with a lighter touch than the traditional dark, DooM mods).
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Oh...My old copy said it wouldn't work with my version of windows. I'll have to look into it again, then.
I have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm having fun trying.
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

Rex Claussen wrote:The most commonly used map editor appears to be DooM Builder. For GZDooM maps, GDZooM Builder is available.
Just a couple of corrections.
Doombuilder is no longer actively updated, even if new bugs were found.
Doombuilder2 superceded Doombuilder, but again, it is no longer updated.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2/
GZDoom Builder supercedes both of the above, and it is not just for GZDoom maps.
http://devbuilds.drdteam.org/doombuilder2-gzdb/
and it is quickly becoming the defacto editor.

Besides the various mapping formats like DOOM format, Doom in Hexen format, there is now also the UDMF(ormat) which allows the manipulation of various map elements without having to use scripts or, heaven forbid, hacks.

While DeePsea is no doubt a powerful program, I used it myself, it is not UDMF compliant.

Okay, so much for map editors.

If you want to add/change map elements, called lumps, then you have to use a lump editor, such as Slade3.
http://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=downloads

The most active forums on all subjetcs for DOOM, see
http://forum.zdoom.org/index.php?sid=72 ... b5599111e8
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

LongForgotten wrote:..Oh, here's my old crap!
Oh, I remember Haunted Mansion.
It was quite advanced in style, very enjoyable. I have a 2007 copy which seems to be truncated from what you show in the video. So I downloaded the provided copy from your Google Drive.

May I suggest that you delete the included DOOM2.WAD, as that is considered warez.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

NeoHippo wrote:May I suggest that you delete the included DOOM2.WAD, as that is considered warez.
Agreed. Warez is not tolerated on this forum for a huge number of reasons, and it's not tolerated on Google, either, so for the protection of your Google account I would suggest you remove the copyrighted material as soon as you can.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

I use freedoom, NOT a DOOM2 wad. Believe me, it's true.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

...BUT, thank you for all comments. :)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

NeoHippo wrote:Doombuilder is no longer actively updated, even if new bugs were found.
Doombuilder2 superceded Doombuilder, but again, it is no longer updated.
Yes, you are correct. I was really thinking about DB2, not DB. However, in my defense, I was on a plane and using my phone to respond, and my brain wasn't doing what it ought to be doing. Thanks for clarifying the matter with LongForgotten.
LongForgotten wrote:Oh...My old copy said it wouldn't work with my version of windows.
I believe DeepSea works with Windows 7, which I have and on which I vaguely remember running it.
Enjay probably has the latest & greatest incarnation of Windows, and he routinely produces mods using DeepSea. Having said that, he knows the erstwhile developer of DeepSea quite well, and perhaps he's been getting software updates that allow him to use the program with newest OS.
LongForgotten

Post by LongForgotten »

Enjay is indeed one of the best doom modders I've seen, and I've chatted w him on more than one occasion.
I have tried GZDoom Builder. I saw it on a youtube vid. Hmmm...It took me years to figure out how to use my old tools. It would be great if I could still use 'em. But, time marches on, and stands still for no man, nor woman. lol Windows isn't good at backwards compatibility.
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

LongForgotten wrote:I use freedoom, NOT a DOOM2 wad. Believe me, it's true.
I wonder why FreeDOOM uses the same lump names as DOOM2, if they claim to be completely independent.
Spoiler:
I can see how naming the resource DOOM2.WAD can be misinterpreted.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Kappes Buur wrote:I wonder why FreeDOOM uses the same lump names as DOOM2, if they claim to be completely independent.
Compatibility.

FreeDoom is designed to work with pretty much all Doom source ports (at least ones with proper Boom extensions), and when loaded with a mod that provides compatible levels, will even work with the original Doom.exe (but the internal levels will break due to the lack of compatible extensions).

In order to maintain this extreme compatibility, all FreeDoom resources must share the same namespace as their Doom counterparts. It was the archiver's (questionable) prerogative to rename it to Doom2.wad.

Return to “Editing Help”