Fortress of Doom

Want to give your project a release? Stick it here. (Note: This forum should be for released projects only, not for works in progress - use the Projects forum for that!)

Fortress of Doom

Post by Alter »

A classic brick/wood fortress map, fixed all bugs today and added new boss arena so people won't be dissapointed, you can finish this map ONLY without cheating... beware, it's not easy

Link: http://www.speedyshare.com/614347912.html
MartinHowe

Re: Fortress of Doom

Post by MartinHowe »

Alter wrote:A classic brick/wood fortress map
Yeah, not bad at all - enjoyable, if hard :thumb:
Alter wrote:You can finish this map ONLY without cheating
Oh dear. Open console. "Give ...". Nuff said :P
Alter wrote:Added new boss arena so people won't be dissapointed
Sorry to rain on the parade, but... well let's say that IMO this is the only part that spoiled an otherwise better-than-average (for classic style) map.

Perhaps you may remember one of the cardinal bits of advice given to mappers in just about every "DOOM Level Design" handbook ever: "Cyberdemons? Loads of ammo? Confined space? DO NOT WANT!!" :) Not because it's too hard, but because like all strafe-and-fire boss arenas, it gets boring after a while -- especially if you win :P In stark contrast, the rest of the level has interesting geometry, including switches, platforms and block-monster lines that made it an absorbing challenge to beat the bigger badasses (such as the mancubi).

The best "cyberdemon overload" arenas involve clever traps with which you can kill them other than by shooting, like when you kill the spidermastermind in the Crusher. Or for example, solve the switch combination and hundreds of barrels get teleported into wherever the cyberdemons are. BOOM! This kills some of them outright and weakens the others.

Also, an average-to-good good player can save ammo by thumping the pinkies from behind the block-monster line -- the player is obviously supposed to do this on E4M1, for example. For the next version, perhaps there could be a secret in that area giving a berserk; it would have been fun to jump in and have a real bar-fight punch-up with them.

So yes, it was fun, but that boss arena style has been done to death already - time to give it a decent burial :)
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Easy map, but architecture is beutifull and classic. Very good using of textures, but maybe little to much demons ;) In the final fight I don't kill cyberdeamons but suddenly level was finished... After load, I notice there is a hidden teleporter and I must step on this before killing boses.

Post by Alter »

I thought about making megawad like this but... i'm not sure if people would like or, if i would have ENOUGH time to do anything a lot with sense and not crap quality
Azure Agony

Post by Azure Agony »

As always VERY GOOD WORK, Alter ! I like your maps style.
p.s. all demons killed, Cyberdemons too 8)

Return to “Releases”