[FOSS] Bootless Star

Want to give your project a release? Stick it here. (Note: This forum should be for released projects only, not for works in progress - use the Projects forum for that!)
Tiger
Developer
Developer

[FOSS] Bootless Star

Post by Tiger »

So what is Bootless Star?
This program, from a history stance, was mainly designed to compile Doom Builder 2 and later on - Doom Builder 2 branches such as GZDoom Builder, and Doom Builder 64. However, now this program's focuses has changed from being hardcoded and supporting specific projects - to being more open. This program now focuses primarily on setting up generalized settings for the user and forwarding those settings over to compatible modules that are designed to compile other projects. Thus, this program now only manages the user's settings while the main compiling tasks are now done by the use of modules.

Spoiler: Other Quick FAQs

Downloads
Bootless Star [Core]
Release Date: 6.March.2016
Version Name: Aditi
Version: 1.5.4
Brief Information:
  • This program establishes an environment that houses common user configurations aswell as an environment for modules.
Documentation: Download Sources:
Project Modules
Doom Builder 2
Release Date: 6.June.2014
Version: 1.5.3
Brief Information:
  • This helps the user to easily compile the Doom Builder 2 project from their SVN Local Working Copy directory.
GZDoom Builder
Version: 1.6.3
Brief Information:
  • This helps the user to easily compile the GZDoom Builder project from their SVN Local Working Copy directory.
Doom Builder 64
Version: 1.5.3
Brief Information:
  • This helps the user to easily compile the Doom Builder 64 project from their SVN Local Working Copy directory.
The DeLorean
Release Date: 5.March.2015
Version: 5.2
Brief Information:
  • This tool helps the user to backup their home directory in Microsoft Windows.
Last edited by Tiger on Tue Mar 29, 2016 22:17, edited 73 times in total.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [Windows Batch]Bootless Star - SVN Front End Compiler

Post by Tiger »

Just a small update; for awhile now - I have been working on a redesigned backup program, The DeLorean. This has been taking much longer than I thought and is still not yet finished, but I hope to finally get this finished before the end of next week. There has been a change as to how the DeLorean is going to backup the system as opposed to original release [version 3.5 - Public]. Instead of the program backup up the root of the drive(s), it will, however, backup the system registry and will backup the users home folder, Roaming in AppData, and (depending on OS) Local in AppData. Despite this change, the rest of the procedures are still the same: Cache data, compress, (depending on condition) verify, and cleanup. Perhaps in the future (or if I have some huge ambition charge) I'll implement an option to compress data on live directories. Moreover, once this module is released - expect mass updates on Bootless Star and the Doom Builder 2 based modules. There has been a few fixes and changes within all of the projects and even within the Core, for example: removed redundant spacing in logs, users that are still using Windows [95|98|ME] can no longer use this program - as it will forcefully terminate, and errors where not properly logged. I'll post any news and releases later on.

NOTE:
  • Take this as 'Read Only', this program is not yet stable.
  • I have not added the quotes, yet.... (Example: When this baby hits 88MPH, you're going to see some serious shit!)
  • This is going to be my last Batch program, aside from small program updates.

View the DeLorean on Pastebin
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Just a small update as to - what is going on. I have been slowly updating the code to call and manage subroutines (or as I call it: Methods) in a neater fashion, however, this is going to take much more time to finish. Currently, I have changed how the program starts up, how it terminates, restarts, and now working with the settings. There is still a lot more work to be done, so don't expect a new major release in some time.

Note:
If you run the WIP program, it will crash\"do strange things" on the areas that has not been updated, and will most likely crash hard in some sub-setting fields.

Bootless Star [Aditi v1.2] - WIP
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Another status update; I've officially squashed the spaghetti code hindrance within the program! There is still some issues that needs to be resolved and addressed, but so far this is in an near stable environment.

Note:
If you run the WIP program, there maybe a risk of the program crashing or doing strange things. Treat this as a 'beta' build.

Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Yet another update on this project. The current revision '198' now carries several bug fixes, code reduction, and no more spaghetti code, for example: the restore function not properly working for some areas, Calling an external module executed on different subroutines instead of being joint together, and most notably - no more pointer madness. I have already begun working on actual parameter support for the program, but it is not yet fully functional. One of the modes, Automatic mode [non-interaction], will take some time to properly come up with a logical standard. Parameters so far as defined:

Parameter Modes:
  • 0 (or nothing) = Standard Mode
    • Execute the program normally.
    1 = Automatic Mode
    • Execute the program and automatically begin processing any tasks that is defined by a script file that is designed for this mode.
    2 = Pass-through
    • Allows other scripts to call the program and jump to another subroutine.
      Note: I still prefer the Batch Standards instead of this approach.
Furthermore, user presets configuration that was originally generated from 1.0 or 1.1 may not properly work with the 1.2 core. The reason for this change is based on the variables that is declared in the core of the program, but also, further changes within the initialization process may still occur in the later revisions.

Note:
If you run the WIP program, there maybe a risk of the program crashing or doing strange things. Treat this as a 'beta' build.

Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have officially removed the support of invoking the program while using parameters, sadly - this can not work as efficiently as I thought without making the code ugly or breaking something in the process.

Code: Select all

revision 214:
Removed the ability to invoke the program using parameters.  Not only is this going to be rather difficult to manage - not to mention it's limitations, but also this will break the Windows 9x Batch support -- it will then not be possible to either check the OS through CompatibilityCheck function or properly store the values correctly.  This idea will have to be executed differently.
The movement on this program is very slow at the moment, I have been busy with other things lately, sorry...
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I have been making some rather big changes with the Doom Builder 2 module, but it is still an on going process. I still have to globally revise the entire compiling functionality and the error procedures, I will upload the progress onto Pastebin.

I did make a couple of noticeable changes within the core (reduced the file size), however.
  • Removed a deprecated environment initialization chunk. This has been carried over since Beta 7 for compatibility reasons, though - this development so far has already broke generalized compatibility.
  • Removed 'Projects Directory'. This now must be managed by the modules, not the core. The modules must be independent in these cases for future updates based on the projects.
  • Added two new lines when BadInput function is about to print on to the screen.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Just a small (rather very exciting) progress update:
BootlessStar_Dashboard_Warnings.png

I have implemented the dashboard viewer, which - forwards quick and brief information to the user. I will eventually fix the compiling process, though - it is merely on the back burner for the moment. I had to try at best to convert the entire compiling protocol code away from the entire hopping madness, which was a huge - - difficult process and drove me nuts in the process. Additionally, user configurations will be redone in a new idea. The concept of all configurations in one file is great in paper, but not great in practice as over writing a block set within an ASCII file in Batch is not easily done. More to come later!

-----------------
EDIT

I have made a few more changes to the core, most are small, however:
  • Added the Dashboard Viewer Tool within the core. This can be disabled within the Advanced Settings, though - there is absolutely no performance gain doing so.
  • Corrected a identifier consistency issue
  • When displaying the current setting in the core settings, most were never properly translated into the menu's view and where directly the value from the program. These values are now translated.
  • Completely removed support for Jumper Scripts (AKA: Automatic Mode). This idea was intertwined with the program supporting parameters, but this - idea is not going to happen any time soon.
  • Expunged superfluous variable pointers that were previously used in the spaghetti coded foundation.
  • When terminating a module, the core never properly did an environment partial reset
  • Removed more unused variables
  • Fixed an issue when MKDIR reaches an error
  • Expunged the Error Database Library
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Bootless Star 1.2 has officially made it to 'Release Candidate'!

Key Improvements and Notes:
  • User Configurations are now managed by Key Chain Tokens
  • Dashboard Interface
  • Foundation Update [no more spaghetti code madness!]
  • Removed deprecated variables [Good bye Beta 7 -> Beta 8 support]
  • Removed bloat (Project variables, Error Database Library, etc)
  • Generalized stability improvements
  • Jumper Scripts is no longer plausible

Bootless Star [Aditi 1.2] Release Candidate 1 - SVN Changelog History
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Oh look! Another update! great...
  • Bootless Star 1.2 RC2
    • Generalized improvements when outputting the data to a preset file
    • Removed an unused function
    • Removed more superfluous identifiers and instructions.
  • Doom Builder 2 1.2 [WIP]
    • Foundation update
    • Removed jumper script support
    • Implemented Dashboard Viewer tool
    • Saving configuration data has been generally revised
    • Redid the settings menu
    • Not yet possible to compile the project
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Another core update! This is rather a nice update and marks one important statement - "All of the problems that has plagued this program since Beta 1 through version 1.1, those problems are now officially gone." The core should now be much more stable than before and houses a lot more flexibility then before. I am going to try to stop implementing any new improvements and new features to include within the core program. There is always ways to improve the core and to make things better, but the cost becomes too high when it comes to maintaining and continually adding new features and functionality.

Code: Select all

Further optimizations
General bug fixes
Added detections for all of the supported external resources that is supported within the main core.
Bootless Star now checks if the host system has Subversion CLI packages installed.
The program now tries to automatically find external resources within the filesystem.  This may not always work, but if this works - the user will not have much to worry about.
Bootless Star now tries to find any of the .NET foundation packages that is installed within the host system.
When executing an external script that is not compatible with the Bootless Star program, do not allow the script to share the same environment as the core, instead create a new environment for that script.
Added two new identifiers.  These variables contains filtered values that can be used within the filesystem as either part of the file name or directory name.  These filtered values should now - never break the filesystem rules or attempt to hit a break wall against the filesystem's rules.
        Variables: core.Date = Contains the date that is cached when loading the Bootless Star program.
                   Core.Time = Contains the time that is cached when loading the Bootless Star program.  Do note that this is not a live variable and will not update until the core is restarted from the beginning.
        For example: Besides using %Date% which might contain: 02/25/1923, the filtered value will be: 02-25-1923, for example.
Generally revised the documentation within the Bootless Star program.  This might seem rather over done, but the idea is too allow anyone look over the code and expeditiously have an idea has to what the purpose is for the functions and what is being done.
Bootless Star 1.2 RC3
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
PeskySaurus

Post by PeskySaurus »

Awesome, you really seem to be putting a lot of work into this. It's not really useful to me as a nub mapper, but stuff for the community is always great. I love the whole.. Open Source way this community is (Following iD's lead of course.)
"Maybe one day I can figure it out, till then I just put another cigarette out, pull up a chair, open a brew, sit on the porch, and do what I do..." -Rehab
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

PeskySaurus wrote:It's not really useful to me as a nub mapper
Technically with the core, you can create a compatible module that will compile your project into a PK[3|7] or Zip\7z archive format. Essentially, that is what this program does, but I am going to gut it for this foundation in trade. Though, the bad side to all of this, is that someone has to make the module in the Batch script ;). If you are willing to learn Batch a bit, you can make a small compiler for your project - and hopefully it wont be so complexed as opposed to the Doom Builder 2, Doom Builder 64, and GZDoom Builder modules.

If you want the latest Doom Builder 2 module [r471] uploaded for your reference, let me know :). Technically, the entire module works and can compile the entire project, however I need to inspect the code a bit more, correct a few more issues, and add several more features. Shell language is a pain sometimes (I would know...), but looking over someone elses code can open doors into a new world. My start was after looking at CodeImp's MakeRelease.bat file ;)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Good news everyone! Doom Builder 2 [1.2] Release Candidate 1 is now available for testing!

What it can do:
  • Update the working copy
  • Revert the working copy
  • Fetch SVN Version
  • Fetch SVN history logs
  • Compile the main engine (including help documentation) with the requested plugins
  • Compact the files into 7Zip
  • Create a setup package {Requires special editing in the .iss file; just only two line changes}
  • Can automatically delete the compiled data, if only wanting the 7z and\or setup package.
  • Duplications are thrashed
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Doom Builder 2 [1.2] Release Candidate 2 is now available! I know it hasn't been a full 24hours since RC1 was released, but I was feeling optimistic and motivated to get a few things done. I think this is now going to be featured lock, and I will now focus primarily on stability and finalization.

Changes:
  • Missing features since forever:
    • It is now possible to retrieve an SVN changelog for the project in XML formatting
    • The compiled Doom Builder 2 and the plugins now supplies the proper version ID!
      RememberTheYear1897ExclamationMark.png
  • Fixed a minor typo in a comment
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “Releases”