Vavoom engine advanced renderer test

Stuff that's here --> Main page
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Re: Vavoom engine advanced renderer test

Post by Graf Zahl »

Firebrand wrote: Vavoom uses the refresh rate that is set on Windows, I've got mine set to 75 Hz, with the recent changes I can't get more than 70 FPS, even when drawing the automap, performance with the new rendering methods still needs improvements, but it's not easy to get it to the best, I hope that with the time we'll improve them as much as possible :).
Why don't I get 85 Hz then? Is there any way to force a refresh rate? 60 Hz hurts my eyes on a CRT monitor. :(
As for porting dynamic lights, Vavoom's renderer it's very different from the GZDoom renderer, for starters, it's polygonal (based on the Quake renderer) while GZDoom is a slightly modified Doom renderer, I'm sure that it's possible to adapt the renderer to display shadows as the ones in Vavoom, but it might require heavy modifications.
The end result what gets rendered is mostly the same, i.e. polygons for walls and triangle fans for subsectors. Doing the lighting is certainly doable but this requires one thing that does not exist: A motivated programmer with lots of time to spend on such a feature.
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Post by Firebrand »

Graf Zahl wrote:Why don't I get 85 Hz then? Is there any way to force a refresh rate? 60 Hz hurts my eyes on a CRT monitor. :(
No, the only thing that comes to mind is play with the VSync option, just to see if you get better results.
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power.....
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Is it Direct3D? Just run dxdiag and set the refresh rate override to 85 - it's on the very last tab.

I don't know if there's a way to do that with OpenGL, I think it's card/vendor specific.
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Post by Firebrand »

The latest revision has some performance improvements, let us know how it works :).
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Pretty darn smooth! So far I've been only been able to trigger the real-time shadows by firing rockets around and watching the resulting explosion cast shadows... but yeah it's working. Don't you have a test map or something that better demonstrates the new features?

Perhaps a map with light sources that cast shadows all the time? Maybe some moving light sources to demonstrate real-time shadows?

Besides shadows, what else is in? With this new lighting system, I take it you are now also lighting model polyons properly (per vertex)?

It runs super smooth on my ATI 4870 X2 at 1600 x 1200.

Now if only someone would fix the sound code so it sounds a lot more like ZDoom's and I might consider permanently switching to Vavoom... ;)

EDIT: Just tried it with models. WHOA SHIT, it ran like ASS! Like, less than 1 FPS. More like, 1 frame every 5 seconds. There was even one time when there were 4 zombiemen in front of me and they all started firing (thus casting shadows all over the place) and Vavoom froze and I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del.

The shadowing looks nice though. The models all seem to cast self shadows as well.

Why is it so slow though? :/ I'm using the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and all of the settings are at factory defaults (so there's nothing like forced AA turned on or anything like that).

Changing to a lower resolution doesn't solve the problem. It still runs SLOW when models and real-time shadows are turned on. Without models, it's pretty smooth though.
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Post by Firebrand »

Nash wrote:Perhaps a map with light sources that cast shadows all the time? Maybe some moving light sources to demonstrate real-time shadows?
I would like to make a demo map for this, I might take some time for that later ;).
Nash wrote:Besides shadows, what else is in? With this new lighting system, I take it you are now also lighting model polyons properly (per vertex)?
Yes, also, some things are being drawn using shaders, which will allow some other effects to be implemented in the future :), but we don't know yet what will come with this.
Nash wrote:Now if only someone would fix the sound code so it sounds a lot more like ZDoom's and I might consider permanently switching to Vavoom... ;)
What kind of problems you are having with sound?
Nash wrote:EDIT: Just tried it with models. WHOA SHIT, it ran like ASS! Like, less than 1 FPS. More like, 1 frame every 5 seconds. There was even one time when there were 4 zombiemen in front of me and they all started firing (thus casting shadows all over the place) and Vavoom froze and I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del.
Drawing models is slower because of the calculations for interpolating frames, calculating which parts of the model should be lit and casting of shadows, obviously it's still not perfected performance wise (but it has been improved a lot, believe me...). Maybe something else can be done for improving performance, let's see.

Return to “News”