Concern about weapons model rips

Do you have a question about making weapon mods, or do you just need some tutorials and resources? Ask about all of that here.

Moderator: wildweasel

MagSigmaX

Concern about weapons model rips

Post by MagSigmaX »

Hello guys!

I'm new here, I want your opinion about some weapons that did for my mod by ripping them off from some 3d models...

First of all, I read the "Tips for Making Model Rips" thread and I am worried that my weapons can look like crap, since I didn't followed the tips there... (I did the weapons before reading that thread...)

Here are the 2 weapons that I did... I hope that they dont look so bad... :(

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

These certainly look better than most model-rips I see these days, but here are a few more tips that you might want to make note of.
  • Perspective, perspective, perspective! Aligning your weapon graphics properly can go a long way toward improving them. The perspective on these weapons seems fine to me but you might want to shift the pistol up a few pixels, and the shotgun(?) to the left a bit.
  • There's some light pixels stuck around the edge of the weapons, especially the shotgun. Removing those might be a pain, but it's one of those kinds of things that people will notice - in a bad way.
  • I'm noticing also that these weapons kind of suffered in the conversion to the Doom palette. The guns themselves don't appear too bad, but a little more contrast would help, and the arms just don't look that good at all - there's a lot of color bleeding going on with the arm on the shotgun, for example, including more junk around the edges.
MagSigmaX

Post by MagSigmaX »

Thanks for the tips wildweasel!

I revamped the shotgun sprite, specially the arms and gloves. I hope you like it.

wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Oh yes, that is MUCH better! I really look forward to seeing more from you...

Return to “Weapon Modding Help & Resources”