ellmo's PSP adventure

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

ellmo's PSP adventure

Post by ellmo »

After having learnt the basics of the basic basics in Paint Shop Pro, I've decided to move on to drawing rather than cutting and pasting. Of course NMN's tutorial is where I begin, of course Paul had to explain me quite a lot of things personally, as my version of PSP is different, and I'm absolutely new to graphic editors that exceed abilities of MS-Paint.

But since I had absolutely no idea what weapon I should start, and I had some serious problems with drawing the shilouette lines, I've decided to base on Duke 64 pistol. That way I basically have the shape I wanted, but I'm free to draw on it what I like. This is what I managed to draw today:
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

You've already made greater progress than I have.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Hmmm, looks pretty good so far, though I'm no weapons artist (yet). I'd say the basics for perspective and point of focus and all the rest of that stuff are in place, now it just needs to be finished and have a little more character added to it, but you knew that anyway ;)
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

wildweasel wrote:You've already made greater progress than I have.
Well, I've been drawing lines over an existing pistol, so the sprite wasn't 100% my skill and imagination, but I've just come into a simple conclusion, that this primitive saying of beginner poets is very true: "If you want to write, you have to write". No matter how lame it sounds, and at the first moment it seems pretty retarded, it's deeper than you would have originally thought.

To put it in other words (this one is from skadoomer): "If all you can do is crap, then build crap... but build!" - amen to that.
Doomed Soul

Post by Doomed Soul »

OMG plz finish it! Looks WAY better than the crap I make in MSPaint :) .
Paul

Post by Paul »

Looks great. The perspective might be a bit off, but it's not noticable without the lines, so it's fine.

Have you noticed I am the person mentioned most often in your posts ;)
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Paul wrote:Have you noticed I am the person mentioned most often in your posts ;)
Cause we're cooperating pretty much, and you're always available when I need help. I don't really see anything strange in it, we've come along way together and were always helping each other in that or another way.

I'm just happy that we have DRD and I'm a part of it. If there was no such community, I would have probably stopped doing anything for doom about one and a half year ago.
Doomed Soul wrote:OMG plz finish it! Looks WAY better than the crap I make in MSPaint :) .
I'm not surprised, you are almost left without any chances of succeding in MS Paint. I think that even the greatest computer artist would have serious problems of drawing anything without opacities, layers and some simple tools like lightning, warping, smudging softening and sharpening.

If you're thinking seriously about doing even one weapon frame that doesn't instantly kill your eyes - get some more sophisticated soft.
Even if you're not going to become an artist, it's always good to know a thing or two about graphics, so when you want a small image slightly modified, you know your own way around - and don't have to call for "experts".
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

ellmo: Vader uses paint and look at some of the stuff he comes out with.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Vader uses paint? Yes! I'm not the only one!! \o/

Therefore, there's hopes that I may be on a par with him one day...

...maybe not that far, but it does show paint isn't the deciding factor in skill :)
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Phobus wrote:...maybe not that far, but it does show paint isn't the deciding factor in skill :)
Well, the software simply cannot have anything to do with the skill, can it?
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

No, but people always seem to assume that using MSPaint will result in awful, cartoony drawings, as though using Paint is having a bad skill. I see why the two could equate, but TBH, it probably takes more skill to produce a very high quality drawing in Paint, than it does in PSP, because Paint has no special tools for shading and stuff.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Phobus wrote:it probably takes more skill to produce a very high quality drawing in Paint, than it does in PSP, because Paint has no special tools for shading and stuff.
Probably true, but if the person with skill enough to use Paint to make a good final product used a more advanced package...
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think that even the greatest computer artist would have serious problems of drawing anything without (...).
Bollocks. Skill is not dependant on software/tools you use. But a better prog DOES make the life easier.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Paul wrote:
I think that even the greatest computer artist would have serious problems of drawing anything without (...).
Bollocks. Skill is not dependant on software/tools you use. But a better prog DOES make the life easier.
Pardon me, but that's exactly what I said, and I also stated these (but maybe not implicite)

Having problems != impossible.
Skill != software
Paul

Post by Paul »

ok

Return to “Development Journals”