Project Soldat

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

DoomRater

Project Soldat

Post by DoomRater »

So I've been toying around with the idea of a Soldat weapons mod that will emulate the weapon style of the 2D PvP shooter. Some reasons I like the idea behind this mod is that I won't have to monkey around with complex reloading code- all weapons will have an infinite supply of ammo, just limited magazines.

What's been a bit of a challenge is how I want to do some of the pickups- especially the weapon handling. In Soldat, you can only hold onto two guns at a time, usually a primary and a secondary weapon. Since Doom's handling of weaponry is quite different, I need a different way to sort things out. For example, I cannot effectively double weapons like Soldat can, but I can attempt to make inventory items that link to the weapons themselves.

Also, the weapon selection is gonna be a bitch... What I want is a weapon that selects which primary and which secondary weapon a player wants to be carrying, then gives him the appropriate weaponry.

These challenges, as well as ensuring 100% Skulltag compatibility, should prove useful experience. Expect me to have the weapons themselves done rather quickly... it's going to be the implementation of those two challenges that's going to drive me up the walls.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

but soldat has reloading. Cool concept though.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

I said 'complex' reloading. Normally, a weapon has to check a bunch of things before it even begins to reload, but this time I only need to check one thing- whether the weapon has less than full ammo. If so, it's a simple matter to go through the reloading animations and set the ammo in the magazine to max. No counting of ammo needed here!

I should whip up the Desert Eagles to demonstrate what I mean. But first... does anyone have good Desert Eagles from an angled POV? If not, I'll wing it with whatever I have lying around.
lizardcommando

Post by lizardcommando »

Can't you use the desert eagle from the ciRRus project? Aren't those resource weapons that are up for grabs?
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

yes, my desert eagles made good by Xaser. They are pretty perfect, dual silver desert eagles, just like soldat. And now i get what you mean with the reloading, that would be cool, can you make for gzdoom also. :D
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

GZDoom won't be a problem, since I intend to ensure that Skulltag works for this. And by Skulltag I mean all of its modes. Hopefully I won't have to make two versions of the mod, but by golly I will if that's the only solution!

I'm running off to grab those Silver Desert Eagles right now.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Hehe, whoa! I didn't realize that Zero had already posted the ciRRus thread. Haha, and my unfinished mod's there too. Anyway, good to see it's got some use already actually. In all fairness, I amworking on the Devons' reloading right now actually (I came online to check something related, hehe...), so I'll update and donate the stuff once I'm done. And would you be interested in a dual-wielding silver addition for your mod instead of the current silver/black frames? I can do that easily and this mod sounds crazy-interesting. :P

...and Skulltag's compatible with DECORATE weapons now? THAT's convenient... :P
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Oooh, lovely.

Skulltag got updated to I think ZDoom 2.1.5, so no custom states support. Thankfully the reloading won't be so annoying as to make that anywhere near mandatory.

Here's a question: In Soldat, when you pick up cluster grenades they replace your regular grenades. I never liked the cluster grenades and was usually cussing when I accidentally picked them up, so... I was thinking of changing that so that a player could carry both types. Any consensus on this, or should I just go for as much accuracy as possible?
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

I say just clusters cause there's allready a LAW in soldat, which i'm assuming will be in this so a normal grenade will just be like the law except less damage, which would be kinda boring.

:D this mod sounds cool.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Neh, the LAW is more like a long range rocket launcher and the M79 is an impact round, while the normal grenades are more like 5 second detonation. They all kill on impact, of course, but the slight difference is enough for me to want all three of them in.

Not to mention the LAW will be like... one second delay in firing, and no ideas on how to make it so that it can only be fired while crouching. No matter what, you'll have to stop moving for the whole second in order to fire it, so that will offset its power.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

mabye make it so you have to press right click to shoulder mount it. Like in ww-diaz then you can't move.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

That or just holding the trigger down methinks.

I really need something to show for what I'm doing. That said, DesertEagleGuns coming up very soon, even if it's only the DECORATE.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

hehe, i look foward to this :D
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Couldn't you carry dual pistols in Soldat? It's been a while since I last played it, so I can't remember.
hitmanx

Post by hitmanx »

yes, that was the only pistol weapon, dual desert eagles.

Oh actually there was another pistol as a secondary weapon.

Return to “Development Journals”