Deathsong's Forge

In this forum, you can start an ongoing development diary detailing the progress on your latest mods in progress.

Moderator: wildweasel

Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

If it's handed, I'll use it. It won't show up in the enhancement mod, but rather in the HAE mapset. I'm trying to keep the weapon lineup for this enhancement from getting too big, and a handcannon is a good comprimise between pistol and sniper rifle, both things I felt Strife could use.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

http://rapidshare.de/files/13073149/HAE_0.1.zip.html

This version needs balancing and lacks a new entity, but should be functional in all other respects. I'll post the details for my new idea later.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Alright, been playing around with the latest beta of HAE, and I'm up to the Power Station mission. Have to say, the new improvements are absolutely awesome! The throwing knives make a nice replacement for the boring kick, the new weapon graphics look great (yeah, I know, I made some of them :p), and the new monster attacks are pretty cool.

I know you're still balancing this, but I'm now going to list my current observations and concerns:
*Are the turrets supposed to be impossible to kill? Their new attack definitely makes them more challenging and interesting, but I haven't been able to kill one yet. In the Power Station level, I pumped atleast 10+ rockets into one with nary a scratch. This is definitely not a good thing, as they are very powerful.

*The Spider Robots are absolutely scary now. The flame attack makes them more interesting, but the jury is out on whether or not it's a good thing. I think it makes them slightly overpowered, especially towards the beginning. Either make them use it less, like in short bursts, tone the damage down, or replace it with another attack (say, small rifle bursts, or perhaps give them the Drones old laser attack).

*The flying drones are perfect, no complaints. Their laser attack now feels more like a laser, and I love how they try to evade the player.

*The new weapon improvements RAWK. The hand cannon is a very useful back up to the assult rifle. I'm not sure if the rocket launcher has been improved, but it feels much better now.

*The new sounds for everything are great. They are much better than the Strife defaults. The new sounds for the flame thrower and mauler are great, too. Very nice.

That's pretty much it. I'll continue to note my obervations as I play further.

Edit:
I officially hate the turrets now. They are way too strong and accurate. Add to the fact that they cannot be destroyed, and they make certain levels impossible. With 120 health(20 Stamina) and no armor, I have been killed in just three bursts by these things. I've also been taken out by a few bursts from long range when I had lower health, and I was only being hit by one or two shots from the thing!

They need to be toned down. Make them possible to destroyed, make them fire bursts less often or make them fire fewer shots, and make their shots do way less damage.

On a more positive note, I just noticed the Environment Suit makes your resistant to flame damage. I have no idea if this was Strife's original behavior, and I just never noticed it, or if it's something that's been added to HAE. Either way, it's really cool. They make fighter those spider robots very easy, so you might not have to tone them down too much. I would still consider making their flame throwers do less damage.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

Due to a holdover from the time I was going to use the +INVULNERABLE/+FOILINVUL flags to nerf the poison bolts, the turret is indeed invulnerable. Sorry. I've also toned the spiders a bit. For the next bugfix release, I'll make the turrets wildly inaccurate to stop them sniping. In the meantime, this will will let you kill them:

http://rapidshare.de/files/13085643/HAE_0.11.zip.html
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

Cool! I don't mean to be so harsh on the turrets, I like that they're tougher now rather than the nuisance they used to be, but they're just too tough.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

A slight complaint about the shotgun: It's weak considering you first get it in the sewers by which time the player will most likely have the mini-missile launcher and will soon get the GL and flamethrower.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

YAY! Today is for celebrating. I have, at long last, gotten upgradeable weapons working in a statisfactory way. Every time you fire one of the weapons, you gain XP. When your XP for that weapon reaches a certain amount, there's a little fanfare and you get a shiny, new version of said weapon. This seems a little weird for upgrades like the Shotgun's phosphorous shells, but it works to nicely to scrapped on acount of that. I'm going to implement this with the rest of the weapons, hopefully along with some reloading and overheating, and put out a new version. The new healing system and the Entity sitll need work, however, so I don't think they'll make 0.2.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Mmm, upgrade system? Reminds me of ratchet and clank. :P
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I'd love to see a Cave Story-style weapon upgrade system - you gain experience by picking up little triangles off dead enemies.
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

wildweasel wrote:I'd love to see a Cave Story-style weapon upgrade system - you gain experience by picking up little triangles off dead enemies.
That does have it's advantages. It makes sure the player actually earns the XP, for one. Another is the "wow!" you get when a fountain of XP comes pouring out of a boss monster. On the other hand, the idea of little triangles popping out of dead things doesn't quite fit with the mood of Strife as I know it. Furthermore, all the weapons would improve off of the same stat, and I like the idea that you can max out a favorite weapon and ignore ones you hate. But I'm gonna see what other people think-this mod is for you, after all.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Another thing: Wouldn't it be sensible to see the Strifeguy "let go" of the knife when he throws it? I've done a quick sprite for such a thing:

Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

@TDA: As I imagine the weapon, the Punch Dagger is something the character has in his right hand, and he throws the knives with his left. Do you think it would look better using just the right hand?

EDIT: The curruption seems to effect every actor in the wad, regardless of where and how I use them. It looks like a rewrite of everything! Fun!
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

I don't paticularily mind either way, though it would look cool to see the dagger retract and then throwing a knife.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I believe the decorate file in the wad is corrupted, not the code. You might be able to copy and paste the code into a text file, and then create a new one based off of it. Or have you tried that with little success?
Deathsong12

Post by Deathsong12 »

I completely ported each weapon to it's own wad to test them all one by one. Each and every one of them crahsed in the upgrade sequence, for reasons that puzzle even Graf. Oh well, the rewrite gives me a chance to add reloading, some new secondary fires, and take out that dammned poison crossbow.

Return to “Development Journals”