2002, A DOOM ODYSSEY - Version 3

Talk about our & your projects.
Jive

2002, A DOOM ODYSSEY - Version 3

Post by Jive »

I already done it, and all is ready for the release...
All ?
In fact, no !!!
I'm waiting an answer from the team who made the version 2, but nobody answered (yet) to my email. Thus, I wrote to each of the members of this team.

Here is the html file explaining my work (at least, a part)
Please, do have a close look at it.

I'm waiting since 15 days. I'll wait still 15 days more, then I'll release it.

I'm absolutely unable to tell how many time I used for this version 3.
I can only tell you that it was made in the same spirit than Pekelna vsehochut aka ADA by Adolf Vojta, V2.1 made by me on Dec 2006 with his agreement, before I gone away, some times later.
Does that mean that I'll go away after having released it ?
Only God knows it !!

When I came back playing Doom, at the end of Sept. 2008, after 1.5 year far away from Doom, disgusted by the behavior of the majority of the players and users, disgusted also by some authors like Mike "Cyb" Watson (the author of Mass Mouth) who refused to me the authorization to release a version greatly improved and heavily debugged for Zdoom of both of his pwads, for the false pretext that he will update them by himself (1.5 year later, he didn't make anything at all on it ; at least, he didn't release anything, and my work is still sleeping on my computer, which is a pure shame), I had the idea to bring again to the Doom's community my skill for doing updates, improvements and debugging.
So, I looked at my heavy collection, and I found a megawad, named "2002ADO", still unplayed, waiting...

Here is my version 3 of this fabulous megawad made by a whole team under the direction of Paul Corfiatis. I made it alone.
Don't expect a bunch of Zdoom features !! I used those features only when it was necessary, in order to full fill a purpose, like with E2M4.
doomero

Post by doomero »

this is one of my favorites wads for ultimate doom, cant wait the new version!
good luck.
Jive

Post by Jive »

doomero, did you have a look at the html file?
Today, still no answer from nobody...
They are all dead???
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Just a note:
the sector 39 (a door opening the entry of a corridor toward the BFG) wasn't tagged, thus the action "open & stay opened (after 300s)" was attached to it. So, I made it working. Which means that, since the release of this megawad, nobody was able to bypass it... Nor the authors themselves, nor the users, and nobody cared to advise them... What a pity, indeed !!! More than that, the BFG wasn't available, for nobody. Now, it is !! I resume: since the release, on 2002, nobody had the BFG. Here is what we could name: "A lost idea"... 6 years ago... Woha!!
If you changed that you didn't get it. That was done on purpose. Furthermore, you may not release your changed version without the authors' approval. And you don't have it.

The text file clearly states:
Authors MAY NOT use these levels as a base to build additional
levels.
That should be clear enough. Consider yourself lucky that this thread is not in the GZDoom forum. There I would have nuked it.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:Consider yourself lucky that this thread is not in the GZDoom forum. There I would have nuked it.
It's tempting for me to nuke it myself, Graf; you're not the only one. But nah...nuking the only active thread in Projects would probably not do much to spur discussion around here.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

The screenshots of the actual authors' versions of the maps look much better than your attempts at improving them.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Yeah, honestly, there are some things that are just better left untouched. Jive, I think I can speak for at least a few people here when I say that you should probably try to manifest your editing skills into making something original instead of "improving" other peoples' work.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

esselfortium wrote:The screenshots of the actual authors' versions of the maps look much better than your attempts at improving them.
Well, the one where it's the most striking is this one, as the unnecessary silver trim added on the ceiling cuts the computer texture in a very wallpaper-y way. The before pic shows a greater care put into having the texture edges at the linedef edges.
This also goes for the Y offset.
doomero

Post by doomero »

well when i try to enter i your site appear a page and said "error" =(
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Return to “Projects”