MIDI

Need help with your project? Ask here.
Pluck101

MIDI

Post by Pluck101 »

Im making a few maps that I think derserve some new custom music...although I dont know how to make the music,i know how to add it to the map using XWE i just dont know how to make it. Can anyone tell me?
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Re: MIDI

Post by Rex Claussen »

First off, you'll need a midi or wave (or other music format) synthesizer. Casio makes relatively inexpensive equipment. You can also do it on your computer if you have the proper software.

Next, you'll need a bit of talent to compose and record your music. Most synthesizers also come with some basic memory (or memory can be added on), onto which you can record your tracks. As an alternative to built-in (or external) memory for your synthesizer, you can send your audio output directly into an analog or digital recording device, such as a tape recorder. Of course, if you're using a computer then there is no issue with memory & disk storage for your audio files.

If you are thinking of doing multiple, layered tracks for each composition, you'll need to record each track and then mix them. Again, depending on the route you choose above, you can either mix directly in your synthesizer, your computer, or on a second tape recorder using a mixer to dub multiple tracks.
Pluck101

Post by Pluck101 »

The only (MIDI) music making software i own is a freeware called Finale Notepad. But im not sure if it will be compatible with DooM
Your future has become.... FORSAKEN!
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Pluck101 wrote:But im not sure if it will be compatible with DooM
Remember that you won't be hooking up any music software directly to DooM. You'll be using the software to produce music in a file format that DooM recognizes. You'll use a program such as XWE to insert your music into your wad. As such, the software you use to produce music does not need to have any "compatibility" with DooM.

Return to “Editing Help”