Request for the GZDoom Builds Page

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

NeuralStunner

Request for the GZDoom Builds Page

Post by NeuralStunner »

In addition to the "Posted" and "Size" columns, could we have one for the ZDoom revision which the GZDoom build is "based" on?

For instance, GZDoom r770 is from ZDoom r2280. I only know this after having downloaded that GZDoom version, however. (It's in the title bar, which is still helpful.)

Would this be possible for the one page only, or does it follow a preset style for all the download pages?
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Request for the GZDoom Builds Page

Post by Rachael »

It's not that simple to do.

The only way this can be done is if the build authors put the corresponding ZDoom build number in the name of the archive itself, and I do not want to burden them with any sort of complication - so if they do it, it's entirely their choice if they want to.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

As one of the people who does the builds, my initial reaction is no simply because it doesn't really suit the way that I do the builds:

I DL the source revision and have a quick look at the changelog (which sometimes, but doesn't always specify the Zdoom revision). However, the update process does tell me nice and clearly which GZdoom revision I have obtained.

I open the project in VC++ Express and build a new exe (which, again, usually confirms the revision number for GZdoom but not Zdoom).

I run a batch file which prompts me for the revision number and I type it in. The batch then compresses the files and names the archives appropriately.

I open AceFTP and use it to upload the files.

While that is happening, I run the newly built exes to make sure that they do indeed start and can at least play map01 of Doom2.* It's only at that point that I have the opportunity to check properly which revision of Zdoom GZdoom is reporting itself to be based on.

*I know that it makes sense to test the exe files before uploading but my connection is so slow that testing during the upload gives me something to do as I wait for the upload to complete and I would have time to cancel the upload if I spotted a problem.

Aaanyway, I realise that changing my procedure wouldn't be a huge problem but, as I see it, neither is checking the revision for someone who has downloaded it. ;)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

http://mancubus.net/svn/gzdoom/?op=log&isdir=1
Here you go. Just visit that page and you'll know which revision is based on which. :wink:
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Aha, thanks. Just what I was looking for. :happy:

Since there's a Changelog link under ZDoom builds, would it do more harm tthan good to add one for GZDoom's? (Granted it wouldn't be of any more use to the average user than ZDoom's, but they're helpful to track bug fixes and features.)
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Ask Randy.

It's his script. He might do it for GZDoom.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

OK! Thanks again.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome

Return to “Development Builds”