GZDooM 3d floors under water render bug

Bugs that have been resolved.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

I.C.H.I. Znot

GZDooM 3d floors under water render bug

Post by I.C.H.I. Znot »

If i make complex 3d structures with 3d floors placed one above other (e.g. pipes, or ladder) and make them under water, then only upper 3d floor looks normal, the others rendered with only flats (upper flat opaque and lower translucent). I made map with big amount of 3d floors and i cannot finish my work until this bug be present. I'm use 3d floor linedef 160 for water, not boom style. Also i have strange behavior placing player starts on 3d floors, when game starts i found myself under 3d floor. With monsters and other things this dont happens. Sorry for my bad english, i learn him from video games on ps2. And sorry i cant give you map example because i dont have internet in my home.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: GZDooM 3d floors under water render bug

Post by Rachael »

Без дэманстрацыі там сапраўды не так шмат хто-то будзе рабіць. Прабачце.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Player start spots always start on the ground. If you want the player to start on a 3D floor, you have to either move the player to the 3D floor after the game starts or put the player on a sector that forms a small pillar that is the same height as the floor you want the player to start on and then lower the pillar instantly when the level starts. (See attached.)
3DStart.zip
Player start on 3D floor.
(2.25 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
As for the other problems, it's hard to say without seeing the map.
jbailey8

Post by jbailey8 »

Eruanna wrote:Без дэманстрацыі там сапраўды не так шмат хто-то будзе рабіць. Прабачце.

Just in case anyone was wondering (including myself), this is belarusian (I think), it more-or-less translates to:

No demonstrations there really is not much anyone will do. Sorry.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Yeah it was pretty much asking for a demo map, but since he said he couldn't provide one, I pretty much told him there was nothing that could be done. Enjay was right, of course, but that was not the point I tried to address - in his messy english all I could pick up was that walls were not being rendered from under a complex 3D floor structure such as water.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Wouldn't giving a z-height to the player work in this situation?
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Blue Shadow wrote:Wouldn't giving a z-height to the player work in this situation?
If you mean giving a z-height to a player start, it does not work. A player always starts with "feet on the ground", i.e., lowest floor.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Yes, that is what I meant.
Rex Claussen wrote:A player always starts with "feet on the ground", i.e., lowest floor.
Why? What is so special about the player pawns that you can't use that way?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Blue Shadow wrote:Why? What is so special about the player pawns that you can't use that way?
There is a reason, but I don't recall what it is. Player starts do not even respect skill settings or game types ( deathmatch/single player/coop) If the start spot is there, it will be used even if none of the flags are set.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

To put it simply, player starts don't really spawn players, they are simply markers like map spots. I don't know the whole dynamics of how it all actually works, but if I had to guess, the engine may only be aware of X/Y positions of player starts and not Z (it may map them differently internally than other thing objects, possibly in different structures/arrays).

I may be wrong though - and I haven't actually looked at the code, because if it's anything like I think it is the whole process spans a number of different files and I'm not really in the mood to go digging through it. :)

To fix the problem though, simply use teleport-Z destinations and move the player to those when they enter/respawn via ACS.
I.C.H.I. Znot

Post by I.C.H.I. Znot »

Thanks for the advice about Z coord.
About 3d floors, in next time i upload demo example. But it not too hard make it in your own. Make empty room with tag 1 and fill this one with water using linedef 160 swimmable, alpha - any value bigger then 0. Then make inside this room sector with tag 2. Also link same linedef to this
new sector. Then make some 3d floors with different heights tagginng them to sector 2, but all of them must be under water surface. And voila! Only upper 3d floor looks normal. This don't happens if water alpha set to 0, but who needs invisible water?
I.C.H.I. Znot

Post by I.C.H.I. Znot »

Here is example. I hope this help fix this bug. My videocard ATI Radeon 2600 Pro 256mb, Catalyst 8.12 (the last good for this model), if you need this. Also GZDooM sometime lockup video driver but this also happens with others OpenGL games (Quake2, DooM3, Quake4 and others).
Attachments
renderbugs.7z
In archive - map with this bug and some others which i found. Also some screens how it look on my PC.
(238.12 KiB) Downloaded 119 times
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

You can't have any intersecting 3D floors. Doing so will hopelessly confuse the engine.

Aside from the stack of platforms everything else is unsupported stuff.
I.C.H.I. Znot

Post by I.C.H.I. Znot »

Damn, this mess all my work :cry: . But in DooM Legacy such elements looks normal. Is there exist way to fix this issue? I know it is possible make independent 3d swimmable floors between solid floors, but this is not too easy if 3d floors are sloped not only in X or Y direction, but X and Y. Another way: make water invisible and place above translucent sheet, but this slowdown rendering. Maybe if GZDooM be able skip render of side textures on 3d floors?
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

As I said, the stack of platforms not showing correctly is a bug.

But your intersecting slopes will never work.

Return to “Closed Bugs”