FMOD version (time to update?)

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

Enjay
Developer
Developer

FMOD version (time to update?)

Post by Enjay »

I noticed that there have been changes made to Zdoom and GZDoom to make them compatible with FMODEx 4.34. I'm still using 4.26 for the builds hosted here. I remember that the intention was for people to try and keep in step with which FMOD version they were using. Is it advisable to update FMODEx or should it be left at 4.26? ( 4.36 seems to be the current one on the FMOD site. )

(BTW, I notice that Zdoom spits out a couple of unreferenced variable errors when compiling. Presumably these are the ones that Gez addressed for GZdoom? )
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: FMOD version (time to update?)

Post by Rachael »

If you want to update I don't see any issue with it. Randy tried to make the executables so that they will work with any fmod version anyway. I'm going to worry much less about FMOD versions until an actual error does occur when we start using different versions.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

I don't think anybody is using it so it doesn't really matter; but 4.34 dropped support of OpenAL as an output device on Windows.

One thing that'd be worth verifying before fully switching to 4.34 would be to see if the 3D positioning problem with 4.28 is still there. See recent changes to FMOD Ex and sound options.
Enjay wrote:(BTW, I notice that Zdoom spits out a couple of unreferenced variable errors when compiling. Presumably these are the ones that Gez addressed for GZdoom? )
Exactly.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, well I tried updating to 4.36.01 and I got the following when I tried to compile GZDoom without a clean:
[spoiler]

Code: Select all

Error	1	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: enum FMOD_RESULT __stdcall FMOD::Sound::getOpenState(enum FMOD_OPENSTATE *,unsigned int *,bool *)" (?getOpenState@Sound@FMOD@@QAG?AW4FMOD_RESULT@@PAW4FMOD_OPENSTATE@@PAIPA_N@Z) referenced in function "public: virtual class FString __thiscall FMODStreamCapsule::GetStats(void)" (?GetStats@FMODStreamCapsule@@UAE?AVFString@@XZ)	fmodsound.obj	

Error	2	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: enum FMOD_RESULT __stdcall FMOD::System::getDriverCaps(int,unsigned int *,int *,int *,enum FMOD_SPEAKERMODE *)" (?getDriverCaps@System@FMOD@@QAG?AW4FMOD_RESULT@@HPAIPAH1PAW4FMOD_SPEAKERMODE@@@Z) referenced in function "private: bool __thiscall FMODSoundRenderer::Init(void)" (?Init@FMODSoundRenderer@@AAE_NXZ)	fmodsound.obj	

Error	3	error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: enum FMOD_RESULT __stdcall FMOD::System::getHardwareChannels(int *,int *,int *)" (?getHardwareChannels@System@FMOD@@QAG?AW4FMOD_RESULT@@PAH00@Z) referenced in function "public: virtual void __thiscall FMODSoundRenderer::PrintStatus(void)" (?PrintStatus@FMODSoundRenderer@@UAEXXZ)	fmodsound.obj	

Error	4	fatal error LNK1120: 3 unresolved externals	../gzdoom.exe	
[/spoiler]

After a clean and rebuild I got:

[spoiler]

Error	8	error C2065: 'FMOD_CAPS_REVERB_EAX2' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1279	
Error	9	error C2065: 'FMOD_CAPS_REVERB_EAX3' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1280	
Error	10	error C2065: 'FMOD_CAPS_REVERB_EAX4' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1281	
Error	11	error C2065: 'FMOD_CAPS_REVERB_EAX5' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1282	
Error	12	error C2065: 'FMOD_CAPS_REVERB_I3DL2' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1283	
Error	6	error C2065: 'FMOD_DSP_REVERB_DAMP' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1085	
Error	5	error C2065: 'FMOD_DSP_REVERB_ROOMSIZE' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1084	
Error	4	error C2065: 'FMOD_DSP_TYPE_REVERB' : undeclared identifier	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1017	
Error	2	error C2078: too many initializers	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	351	
Error	13	error C2078: too many initializers	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1692	
Error	14	error C2078: too many initializers	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1812	
Error	3	error C2660: 'FMOD::System::getDriverCaps' : function does not take 5 arguments	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	845	
Error	7	error C2660: 'FMOD::System::getHardwareChannels' : function does not take 3 arguments	c:\Doom\GZdoomSource\gzdoomcomp\src\sound\fmodsound.cpp	1236	
[/spoiler]

Zdoom didn't fare quite so badly:

[spoiler]

Error	2	fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'fmod.hpp': No such file or directory	c:\doom\zdoomsource\zdoomsrccomp\src\sound\fmod_wrap.h	7	
Error	3	fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'fmod.hpp': No such file or directory	c:\doom\zdoomsource\zdoomsrccomp\src\sound\fmod_wrap.h	7
[/spoiler]

I'm downloading FMODEx 4.34 now and I'll try that. Failing that, I'll go back to 4.26 because I know that the current revision compiled OK with that.

[Edit] OK, 4.34 seems OK. [/edit]

[Edit2] The above was all typed before I saw Gez's post. Checking that now. [/edit2]
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Any easy way to verify that 3D positioning problem? I'm not really sure what effects I'm looking for. :?

I think in the meantime, I'll upload the compiles that I did with 4.26 but run the version I made with 4.34 myself until I can work out anything to do with this issue. However, rather than me mess around with different FMOD installs, the next uploads will be with FMOD 4.34 unless there is an obvious reason to return to 4.26.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

OK, I think I have identified how the 3D sound positioning problem manifests itself.

I have a 7.1 surround sound system and if I stand and spin on the spot when a sound is coming from a particular point (eg the sound of a zombie dying, or a door opening) I can hear the sound "moving around me" as I rotate when I am using a build made with 4.26.

If I try the same test with 4.34, the effect either isn't happening or it is too subtle for me to notice.

If this is the effect being alluded to, then it does seem to still be present in 4.34.

In that case, I reckon that I'll go back to 4.26. However, I notice that I wasn't previously using the latest sub version of 4.26. I was using 4.26.10 so I may as well update to the last sub version of 4.26 (4.26.36).

So, my future uploads to the SVN site will be built with, and include, FMODEx 4.26.36.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Enjay wrote:Any easy way to verify that 3D positioning problem? I'm not really sure what effects I'm looking for. :?
You probably should ask Randy. He's been kinda vague on the topic.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm, OK thanks. I already made a post in the dev forum about this whole thing and briefly mentioned the 3D positioning error there too (I may expand what I said to describe how it seems to manifest). However, assuming that I have correctly identified the symptoms (described above), 4.26 seems to be the way to go ATM.

Return to “Development Builds”