Update DB2!!

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: Update DB2!!

Post by Tiger »

CodeImp wrote:The GZDoom plugin is not compiled by that script (because that script is to make an official release).
After compiling with the batch file, I can now manipulate it to compile everything and plausibly omit the 'inno setup' compile phase. I would want to continue to follow the same consistency that Morpheus has done with the DB2 SVN builds; it worked and rather convenient for those that don't want to run the installer ever compiled SVN build, and most importantly, broad range of testing.

{Note: I will just link the releases here; I don't have any access to anything special. Plus, I am sure someone can do this much better than I. ;)}
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

In a few moments, I'll release an unofficial build that contains GZDoom VM (and a few other plugins) based on revision 1470.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Here we go! Revision 1470 with GZDoom VM and a few other plugins

I primarily consider this a test SVN build as this is really my first alteration compile with DB2. As a result, anything in terms of behavior is unlike DB2 or if something just seems out of the norm on this build but yet works fine in the current major release -- there is most likely a fault issue on how I compiled it.

In the future, I will need to create a dedicated SVN batch program. Would make this task easier :P
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

There isn't much you can do wrong compiling a C# program. Just make sure you used the Release configuration, because the Debug is slow.
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Now we just need the game configs that gez did to be updated :)
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

Good job, Tiger.
Thank you.

For a bit I was in a state of 'WTH' when 7zip didn't decompress the files properly.
Then I realized that I had to update to 9.20.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Set up and working nicely.

Thank you. :)
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I'll try make compiled SVN builds weekly, however excluding critical builds (critical hotfixes; such as major crashes, corruption of data [in any form]), and perhaps special builds that could help expedite testing. But, however, I must create my batch program so I will not waste time in the background fixing the \build\ directory (I've spoiled myself with TGRDM3's HotCompiler batch program :(). Keep in mind, as I am using my website account to hold these builds, I will thrash the older builds for a fresh copy (exception for rollback builds). As a result with these builds, I hope this helps everyone out and helps with the DB2 development!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

I'm not so sure there will be weekly fixes. Sometimes I make a few fixes a day, sometimes I don't fix anything for months. And when I'm working on something new, it is likely that the only commits you will get are "work in progress" commits which should not be used (if they even compile at all).
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

CodeImp wrote:I'm not so sure there will be weekly fixes. Sometimes I make a few fixes a day, sometimes I don't fix anything for months.
That is true, however. I was originally hoping for more activity (more or less stable activity) within the development, but I did not take into consideration from the previous dead activity. On the contrary, however, if there is a need to make a build - I'll try to make an unofficial SVN build release.
CodeImp wrote:And when I'm working on something new, it is likely that the only commits you will get are "work in progress" commits which should not be used (if they even compile at all).
Anything within the .\Branch\ shouldn't be compiled for the broad public as the data could not be ready for general use, if I remember correctly. Thus, anything within the .\trunk\ is still fair game, correct? Atleast I believe that is the general rule of thumb of using an SVN Repo.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

Yes that is the general rule of thumb. But I''m lazy.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

CodeImp wrote:Yes that is the general rule of thumb. But I''m lazy.
I admire your honesty :P. However, how would I (or anyone) would know that it is safe to build/compile a certain part of the program when there is "Work in Progress", for example 1471 && 1473?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
CodeImp

Post by CodeImp »

I know you (or anyone) don't know that. But it wouldn't be different with a branch, because if I would make a branch it would be at least for the whole gzdoom plugin as the whole thing is a work in progress. So you would still have to guess which revisions are good for building.

Oh and with this message I just experienced that I Swype faster in English than in Dutch :)
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

CodeImp wrote:I know you (or anyone) don't know that. But it wouldn't be different with a branch, because if I would make a branch it would be at least for the whole gzdoom plugin as the whole thing is a work in progress. So you would still have to guess which revisions are good for building.
If I can get the program to compile, how thoroughly should I test the GZDoom VM feature or just rely on a quick one minute test?

Furthermore, as I posted on the TGRDM3 forum:
Tiger wrote:Activity within the SVN will be deadlocked until plausibly next weekend; reason: Finals next week. This also carries onto other abroad developments and assistance's.
As a result, everything that I have my hands on - will ultimately stop for the time being until I am through the finals. Just an FYI for those that are wanting a build any time soon.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Xtyfe

Post by Xtyfe »

Hey, I'm just happy that we have a new version at all. I know many people are grateful for that. :D

Return to “Development Builds”