SVN version of zdoom isn't playing any music?

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

slamminDJ2390

SVN version of zdoom isn't playing any music?

Post by slamminDJ2390 »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum and I was wondering why I'm not getting any music in zdoom. I'm using the newest SVN build for zdoom (r3487) and the latest SVN build for doombuilder 2 (r1429). I also have windows 7 professional 64-bit. I'm getting every other sound just fine with r3487 when I test levels. It's just that the music won't ever play no matter how much I mess with the sound settings. Is there something I have to configure? I replaced all of my old doombuilder files from the official site to the SVN ones and everything else appears to be working (including GZdoom visual mode).

Another thing I want to note is that when I replaced everything in doombuilder with the svn version, I couldn't replace the application to launch the program (I kept getting "Doombuilder has stopped working") if I used the SVN application and I noticed that it was a smaller filesize than the official version, so could there be something missing?...Maybe? But anyway I kept the official version of the application and I can use that to open up doombuilder just fine except for this minor issue with the music never playing. I wonder if the application thing has something to do with it. Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks
Gez
Developer
Developer

Re: SVN version of zdoom isn't playing any music?

Post by Gez »

There shouldn't be any interaction between ZDoom and Doom Builder 2.

What does it look like in the sound options menu? Is the music volume set to 0? Which MIDI device are you using?
slamminDJ2390

Post by slamminDJ2390 »

Gez wrote:There shouldn't be any interaction between ZDoom and Doom Builder 2.

What does it look like in the sound options menu? Is the music volume set to 0? Which MIDI device are you using?
In the sound options I have sounds, menu, music volume at 0.5 level. And I've had OPL synth emulation work in the past with vanilla doom builder 2 but now any midi device won't play any music. Right now I'm testing for OPL music but it doesn't seem to be working.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Hmmm... this was one of the very rare occasions when I didn't have time to test the compiled exe before I uploaded it. Therefore, I can't say for certain whether it works on my system (Win 7 64 bit Ultimate) or not. I can't check 'til I get home later today but there were no errors flagged up by the compiler.

If you can run it, does the GZDoom build based on the same version of ZDoom work?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Well, I can confirm that r3487 and the newly compiled and uploaded r3491 (and their complimentary GZDoom versions) all play music on my system. All the midi devices that usually work for me are still working (including OPL).

slamminDJ2390 can you run ZDoom and generate a log file? It might contain some information about whether the sound engine is initiating properly for you or not. To generate a log file use the following command line:

zdoom +logfile log.txt

Then quit the game and find the file log.txt which will probably be in your ZDoom directory and post its contents.
slamminDJ2390

Post by slamminDJ2390 »

Enjay wrote:Well, I can confirm that r3487 and the newly compiled and uploaded r3491 (and their complimentary GZDoom versions) all play music on my system. All the midi devices that usually work for me are still working (including OPL).

slamminDJ2390 can you run ZDoom and generate a log file? It might contain some information about whether the sound engine is initiating properly for you or not. To generate a log file use the following command line:

zdoom +logfile log.txt

Then quit the game and find the file log.txt which will probably be in your ZDoom directory and post its contents.
What's with the 'zdoom +' added on to the command? I'm able to create a log file with just the 'logfile log.txt' typed into the console. What I do is just run zdoom and use the console. The 'zdoom +' doesn't work anyway, it says it doesn't recognize it. Am I using the right thing to type the command into?

I opened the zdoom SVN itself and the music seems to work just fine. Heretic: serpent riders came up as the default game. But I'm assuming that I should generate a log based on the games that have the music problems. It's confusing seeing that all logfile log.txt does is make a progressive list of things in a txt file that I do in the game, instead of generating technical stuff about whether something works or not. does 'zdoom +' address that issue?

Whenever I test r3487 zdoom in zdoom (doom in (x) format) the music doesn't play. But everything else in zdoom works, like just doom or heretic, hexen or doom 2. The weirdest part is that heretic in hexen format actually works too. But none of the ones with doom in a certain format work. I also tried what I think you suggested by using gzdoom r1327 and that doesn't seem to work either. But it appears to behave in the same way as r3487 zdoom. I also took a look at the latest build (r3494) for zdoom as of right now, and it doesn't seem to make a difference from r3487 in terms of the problem.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

No, Enjay meant to type that on the command line, not in the console.

In Windows Vista or 7, you can just type "cmd" in the address bar of the file explorer. Navigates to the folder where you have ZDoom, and do that.

Then type zdoom +logfile log.txt

The reason to type this from the command line is so that ZDoom will start logging immediately; if you use logfile from the console you can only log what happens after the console is available, so you lose all the initialization; which is what we want to look at.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

If you are unsure about how to navigate to the folder where you have ZDoom, you should be able to right-click the folder while holding shift* and pick "open command window here".

*at least I think it is shift that you have to hold. I have changed my preferences so that the "open command window here" option shows up without pressing any extra buttons - so I can't remember for certain if it is shift or some other key like Ctrl or Alt.
slamminDJ2390

Post by slamminDJ2390 »

ok, I made a log file:

Log started: Sat Mar 31 18:51:26 2012

W_Init: Init WADfiles.
adding C:/Users/Administrator/Desktop/doom folder/engine folder/zdoom-r3484/zdoom.pk3, 549 lumps
adding c:/program files (x86)/steam/SteamApps/common/hexen/base/hexen.wad, 4270 lumps
I_Init: Setting up machine state.
CPU Speed: 2660 MHz
CPU Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz
Family 6, Model 37, Stepping 5
Features: MMX SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
I_InitSound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright © Firelight Technologies Pty, Ltd., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD version 4.26.36
V_Init: allocate screen.
S_Init: Setting up sound.
ST_Init: Init startup screen.
Checking cmd-line parameters...
G_ParseMapInfo: Load map definitions.
S_InitData: Load sound definitions.
Texman.Init: Init texture manager.
ParseTeamInfo: Load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
R_Init: Init Hexen refresh subsystem.
DecalLibrary: Load decals.
M_Init: Init menus.
P_Init: Init Playloop state.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading default status bar definition.
ParseSBarInfo: Loading custom status bar definition.
D_CheckNetGame: Checking network game status.
player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
I_InitInput
I_StartupMouse
I_StartupKeyboard
I_StartupXInput
I_StartupRawPS2
I_StartupDirectInputJoystick
Resolution: 1024 x 640
Playing demo DEMO1
Cannot play non-ZDoom demos.
Playing demo DEMO2
Playing demo DEMO3
Playing demo DEMO1
Playing demo DEMO2
Playing demo DEMO3
Playing demo DEMO1
Playing demo DEMO2
Playing demo DEMO3
Playing demo DEMO1
Playing demo DEMO2
Playing demo DEMO3

Everything I've tried so far (doom, doom 2, heretic, hexen) seem to have the music working. Do any of these games use hexen or UDMF format? If so, I'm guessing it could be an issue with doombuilder. But if not, how would I go about posting contents for the ones that do have the format?
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

So, the problem isn't in the games' maps themselves but rather in a custom map you're creating? If so, could you upload the map so someone can check it out?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Map format has no effect on the sound system.

At this point, since your issue seems to be only when running from Doom Builder, I think it's just that you have a in the wad you are editing either a MAPINFO lump without music attribution in the levels, or broken music lumps.
slamminDJ2390

Post by slamminDJ2390 »

Never mind guys I figured it out. I had to set the default "MAP#" format to E#M# in the new map options....the weirdest thing. Thanks to all who helped!
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Well, you can still use names other than MAPxx or ExMx but you need to define their properties (like the name, music, what map to go to when exiting this one, etc) through [wiki]MAPINFO[/wiki] in that case.

Return to “Development Builds”