Mod suggestions for an oldie turned newbie.

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Innomen

Mod suggestions for an oldie turned newbie.

Post by Innomen »

GZDoom is exactly what I want. Doom, but modernized. I would say Classic Doom for Doom 3 is closer but they appear to be intentionally not doing any levels/games beyond what was released shareware due to scold-o-phobia.

Anyway, beyond what is built into GZDoom can anyone recommend any mods that are strictly upgrades? I'm not looking for new stuff, just better stuff. And by better I don't mean more powerful, though I'm not too worried about breaking game balance, I'm more interested in atmosphere.

Particularly the weapons (visual/mechanical/functional) and music (not sound effects) need replacing in my view. They stand out in contrast to the improvements made by GZDoom.

Think like what doom 64 did, same game, updated wardrobe. :)

Thanks for your time and sorry if this is a bad post for some reason.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mod suggestions for an oldie turned newbie.

Post by Blue Shadow »

I don't have links for every single mod ever to be made for GZDoom, but you can check this link for a few.
Innomen

Post by Innomen »

Those read more like total conversions. Everyone wants to write the next counter strike or dota. *sigh*
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

So, nothing caught your interest, not the "to-die-for" Brutal Doom, or even one of the winners of this year's Cacowards; Winter's Fury?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

If you want improved visuals for weapons and other things, you can look for Perkristian's smooth weapons and for Beautiful Doom.

There actually are improved versions of the sound effects -- not replacements with different sound effects, but the same at a higher sample rate. By Perkristian again. He got the same Sound Ideas library that Bobby Prince used and hunted through the 6000+ sounds in it to find those used in Doom.

If you want weapons to behave differently, you'll want to look into the vast array of gameplay mods. Maybe take a look at Brutal Doom. Note that such mods will affect gameplay balancce, so they might make maps too easy or too hard; use with non-IWAD maps at your own risk.
Innomen

Post by Innomen »

"Perkristian's smooth weapons and for Beautiful Doom."

That sounds much more like what I am after. I'll Google around, thanks :)

"If you want weapons to behave differently..."

I could stand them behaving more accurately. Semi auto pistols of every type are much faster than the one in doom for example. But basically I don't need any functional changes beyond rate of fire.

Links for future readers:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=16484 Beautiful Doom 5.3
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editin ... -released/ Perkristian's smooth weapons

"There actually are improved versions of the sound effects -- not replacements with different sound effects, but the same at a higher sample rate. By Perkristian again. He got the same Sound Ideas library that Bobby Prince used and hunted through the 6000+ sounds in it to find those used in Doom."

Linky goodness? :)
Innomen

Post by Innomen »

Thank you very much :)

Beautiful doom seems to cause some console error messages, how do I capture them? Are they logged somewhere? Can they be?
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Yep, you can log them to a text file. See this.

Return to “GZDoom”