Texture thread

Moderators: Xaser, Dr_Nostromo

cybdmn

Re: Texture thread

Post by cybdmn »

Did you have an idea, when the next version of the IWAD will be available?

Cage, it would be nice if i can have the more sandstone textures in a second variation, where i have 32 pixels from the bottom neutral, without any detail stuff. I built a section where i constantly change the height of the streets. It would be nice, if i can compensate the height difference.

When i have a new IWAD, i will retexture the houses, and post some new screenshots.
Maybe some of you can remember my first screenshots, the wasteland you could see through these windows is completely gone, instead there is growing a cityscape with houses which are built from a valley into the mountains.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Here's a new wad for you. Hopefully you get some good use out of the new stuff -- it's quite plentiful! Looking forward to seeing what you have. :)
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

Thank you, that helps really. I retextured some houses before i left home in the morning, and they fit perfectly in style.
I Bad a look over the resources yesterday, and i guess, i can create the textures needed to compensate height variations by myself.
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

I have uploaded to dropbox a new window version to an existing texture. I did not know, how it looks ingame, i think, Cage can look at the texture, and say more.

Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Hmm, the window style works, but the color and shape is really distorted. What's the source of the window image?
cybdmn

Post by cybdmn »

The source is just a random photo i used, to illustrate the style i want to have.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Ah, okay. If it's just a proof-of-concept, all is well -- just don't want to have a copyrighted photo sneak its way into the wad. :P
Cage

Post by Cage »

Some minor flat edits, new carpets and liquids - sludge and goo, those are 64x64 because of my mistake but guess they'll work okay.
Cage

Post by Cage »

Palace set is tougher than I thought, so slow progress on that one. Uploaded some more cyberspace wackiness - "switch" textures plus smaller (64x96) doors labelled as p2p connection and big doors l(128x128) labeled as broadband dataway ;) I'm considering cyberspace set pretty much done, but I may create some more new stuff like the "switch" dialog boxes or some others, the dos/win95 file list is a crazy idea that sprang to my mind - you can use that one as a scrolling (or not) mid-texture.
Cage

Post by Cage »

You've probably already noticed, but I've been messing around the sky graphics :) Trying to avoid palette raping as much as possible, but it's not easy

Ones I considered finished:
Paris/France sky (sky_pris)
Alcatraz sky (sky_traz)
Egypt/desert sky (sky_dsrt - sky_dsrt_alt looks okay, but doesn't give off the "heatwave" vibe ;)

Need your opinions on the Great Wall (sky_wall) sky colorwise(plus it may be pushed about 30-40 pixels up, since the vantage point seems to be too high), ingame, sky_city_test is a test and will probably be scrapped. We're far better off using a clean sky and placing any buildings inside the maps, IMO.
.+:icytux:+.
Stronghold Team

Post by .+:icytux:+. »

The skies look good, and the way you worked them into the palette looks good.

Have you tried them ingame though? The perspective on them looks like it might look really weird ingame. I remember trying some skies out which showed this much of the "ground" before too, and it looks like the ground bends up like in inception. But I havn't tried theese myself, I was just merely pointing out that it might be worth to check if they "work".
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

Their center is actually right on the horizon, so they work great in-game as a result. Sans the city-test one, of course, but that one's non-canon anyhow. ;)
Cage

Post by Cage »

The vantage point on the great wall may be a bit too high :P
Matt534Dog

Post by Matt534Dog »

Will an actual night sky texture be implemented, or will it just stay pitch black? The pitch black sky looks a bit out of place, in my opinion.
Xaser
Developer
Developer

Post by Xaser »

It'll get a proper sky at some point. The only places actual pitch-black will be used is Cyberspace, since it indeed looks somewhat artificial. ;)

Return to “Hacx Development”