Rebranding

Discuss the hosted development builds here.
[Home]

Moderator: Dev Builds Team

Rachael
Developer
Developer

Rebranding

Post by Rachael »

I am considering rebranding this site as "alphabuilds.drdteam.org" rather than "svn.drdteam.org". If I go through with this, all previous links and bookmarks will continue to function except they will just return a redirect code to the new domain and still point you where you intended to go on the new domain.

Since I made the header in Photoshop many years ago, I do not still have the source file, so I may end up making a new one, unless someone REALLY wants to show off their Photoshop / Illustrator skills, but it's going to have to be really impressive if I am going to accept it. :)

This topic is to mainly solicit input about this. I don't think "SVN" makes sense anymore, as many projects nowadays are shifting from SVN to more modern version control methods. If you are viewing this from the news page, please feel free to leave a comment for your ideas.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: Rebranding

Post by Enjay »

I agree. I was thinking along the same lines. With ZDoom and GZDoom moving across to Git the SVN name doesn't really make sense any more. It's "fixed" in the text of the respective pages but changing the address name would also make sense.

I'm not sure that "alphabuilds" is the best name though as it could be seen to imply that the builds are of software in the "alpha" stage of development. Of course, if it is just meant to be a brand rather than a strict definition that might be OK.

Thinking aloud...
"devbuilds.drdteam.org"?
"wipbuilds.drdteam.org"?
"drdbuilds.drdteam.org"?
"builds.drdteam.org"?
Something totally different and purely a brand name-like with no direct meaning relating to the status of the builds?
"buildshop.drdteam.org"? (etc)
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

Given that a lot is automated now: nightly.drdteam.org?
NeoHippo

Post by NeoHippo »

Maybe " gitbuilds.drdteam.org "
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

If I may, I would insist on consistency through out the entire projects (the builds) that is hosted on this service. There is some projects that use Git while others still use the Subversion medium for hosting and managing projects universally. But, yet, by implying the sub-domain being: gitbuilds.drdteam - signifies that this entire service only hosts projects that utilizes Git and purposely excludes everything else - especially those that use Subversion. Additionally, a sub-domain that implies nightly can be rather a misnomer for the entire site. The Doom Builder Subversion builds are only generated at pure random times and dates with no real absolute schedule, though I also believe that not everyone in the entire team uploads at specifically at night. And nightly might be rather confusing for those that are in different time zones, for example, those that live in the United Kingdom might think that 'nightly' could be in their time zone, but yet in fact - it's in one or all of the four time zones in America specifically.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Blzut3
Developer
Developer

Post by Blzut3 »

I don't think nightly would be a huge problem as far as time zones are concerned. If you check back once a day there should be a new build (except for when there's a glitch in the system). Many other projects use that term for their daily builds any how so it's not exactly foreign.

I could see how it could be confusing for the few projects that aren't automatically built though.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

NeoHippo wrote:Maybe " gitbuilds.drdteam.org "
gitbuilds would have the same problem. First, some of the stuff here is still based on SVN (Eternity, the various flavors of DB2, etc.), secondly even in the non-SVN stuff Git isn't the only choice (ECWolf uses Mercurial instead).

I think "builds.drdteam.org" is enough. It doesn't care about their repository system (svn, hg, git, something else) and it doesn't care about their update schedule (daily, nightly, fortnightly, monthly...).
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Enjay wrote:"devbuilds.drdteam.org"?
So far I like this one the best. I can easily update my new Illustrator logo with that. Pending any comments when I check on this topic again within the next couple days, this might be the final. :)
Attachments
Illustrator logo so far
Illustrator logo so far
DRDTeamDevBuilds.png (22.67 KiB) Viewed 5818 times
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:
Enjay wrote:"devbuilds.drdteam.org"?
So far I like this one the best. I can easily update my new Illustrator logo with that. Pending any comments when I check on this topic again within the next couple days, this might be the final. :)
Sounds okay to me.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

And so it is done. New topic here ----> http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=6135

Return to “Development Builds”