black monsters?

Need help with your project? Ask here.
doomexpert

black monsters?

Post by doomexpert »

ive download a new version of gzdoom, version 1.8.02.. i load my doom2 and pwad and made a new config file setting.
and it surprised me that i some of the monster turned black and when he shoot he isnt black anymore.

the problem occurs only in the current new version of gzdoom.
Attachments
monster on 3d floor
monster on 3d floor
doom2ddf.png (313.9 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
when they shoot they go to normal, when they not see me anymore, they go back to black.
when they shoot they go to normal, when they not see me anymore, they go back to black.
doom1.png (364.1 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Re: black monsters?

Post by Enjay »

Here's a guess - a wild one, but it might just be what's happening (though it shouldn't be specific to a particular version of GZDoom).

Do you have sprite XY billboarding enabled?
If yes, are your sprites under a 3D floor?
If yes, what is the light value above the 3D floor?

If you answered yes to the first two questions and a very low value to the last one, that's your problem. With XY billboarding active, sprites take their lighting information from the containing sector, not the light value under the floor. It's one of the reasons why XY billboarding is best for self-lit (bright) projectiles but not for other types of actors.

If it's not that, then I don't know.
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:With XY billboarding active, sprites take their lighting information from the containing sector, not the light value under the floor. It's one of the reasons why XY billboarding is best for self-lit (bright) projectiles but not for other types of actors.
Wait, is that intended behavior? Doesn't sound like correct behavior to me. :?
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

Enjay wrote:
Do you have sprite XY billboarding enabled?

Yes only Y axis
Enjay wrote: If yes, are your sprites under a 3D floor?
YEs, i think only accurs on 3d floors.
Enjay wrote: If yes, what is the light value above the 3D floor?
light value is bright, dont know where the darkness comes from the monster.. the old gzdoom from 3 years back didnt have any problem.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

NeuralStunner wrote:Wait, is that intended behavior? Doesn't sound like correct behavior to me. :?
Not so much intended as how it has to be. The same applies to models.

Unfortunately, the images have gone from the first one but the posts still basically make sense.
http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php? ... 59&p=27403

http://forum.drdteam.org/viewtopic.php? ... 05&p=51418
doomexpert

Post by doomexpert »

Enjay wrote:
Unfortunately, the images have gone from the first one but the posts still basically make sense.
so those posts are the problem of a limitation. i had not download a new gzdoom for 3 years now. and different guys has messed up the code for a little bit i think. cause the gzdoom from 12 feb 2011 has not problems. before feb 2011, there was a lot things changed and fixed and many bugs are fixed

but between 2011 and 2014 i dont know what else is changed unbehalf dark monsters.

the problem also applies to other things like ammo so not only monsters.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

doomexpert wrote:the problem also applies to other things like ammo so not only monsters.
If it is the problem that I suggested, it would affect any non bright sprite. It doesn't have to be a monster.

Is there any way you could upload your map (or just a small demo section that shows the problem) and include it in a bug report in the GZDoom bugs forum in case it isn't the problem that I sugested?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

It would be nice to see if this limitation can be lifted. I often use X/Y for things like spheres, and for projectiles which are pointedly not fullbright.
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs

Return to “Editing Help”