Loud flame sounds in brutaldoom

Advanced OpenGL source port fork from ZDoom, picking up where ZDoomGL left off.
[Home] [Download] [Git builds (Win)] [Git builds (Mac)] [Wiki] [Repo] [Bugs&Suggestions]

Moderator: Graf Zahl

roz1281

Loud flame sounds in brutaldoom

Post by roz1281 »

Hello! I hope it's allowed to ask a question related to BD here. The only other place I know is moddb and while i asked there, i don't expect an answer. My question is: is there a way to disable or lower the super loud flame sounds you hear everywhere in any maps with torches or candles etc.? They're so loud they drown out the music completely even at max volume. I ask here in hopes that there's an engine setting I can change since I want to use GZDoom version 2.1.0, and BD's manual is really dumb in that it only says "- If you are hearing a lot of sounds from unknown sources from large distances, such as blood driping from hanged bodies and burning barrels making cracking fire noises across the map, you need to reinstall your sourceport." which helps not one bit since it doesn't actually say what in the mod or what setting causes the problem, and my install is fresh.

Standard GZDoom v2.1.0
only extra file loaded is brutalv20b.pk3
Tried openAL and FMOD systems
Tried random pitches on and off.

Edit: User error, it works with FMOD. If only that worked with my lame headset.
Last edited by roz1281 on Fri Feb 12, 2016 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Loud flame sounds in brutaldoom

Post by Rachael »

I don't play Brutal Doom very much, but my settings are set up with FMOD, with maximum possible sound quality. I am using GZDoom 2.1.0 with no other source ports loaded in the folder (so that their library versions cannot conflict). I have noticed that OpenAL has some problems with sound attenuation (sounds that are supposed to be far away are not dampened properly, but I cannot do a reliable bug report on this yet). I have not even bothered testing BD with the Git builds, though I probably should, I just haven't had much motivation to.
roz1281

Post by roz1281 »

Ahh thanks your reply made me go back and try both sound systems again and apparently I had forgotten to reset the sound system when switching back to FMOD. FMOD works ok with no loud sounds, unfortunately that won't work on my headset but that's no big deal. I can play with music now through my speakers !

Thanks. I shouldn't have posted so hastily :)
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

What you describe sounds like it's playing a 3D-positioned stereo sound. OpenAL can't do that properly and instead plays the sound at full volume.
roz1281

Post by roz1281 »

Graf Zahl wrote:What you describe sounds like it's playing a 3D-positioned stereo sound. OpenAL can't do that properly and instead plays the sound at full volume.
That makes sense, when using FMOD it will fade as i move further away.
roz1281

Post by roz1281 »

I ended up just replacing the sound with a dummy file in a seperate .pk3, so if anyone has the same issue it's an easy workaround.

Return to “GZDoom”