Can't Turn After Punching

Something not working in GZDoom that's not a bug? Is the display a bit quirky and unexpected? Post here.

Moderator: Graf Zahl

Ancient Doom Guy

Can't Turn After Punching

Post by Ancient Doom Guy »

Greetings.

I've run into a problem and I was hoping someone could help me out.

I just downloaded and installed GZDoom and tried playing Hacx, Doom 2 & Ultimate Doom.

Everything seemed to be working very well until I kicked a monster in Hacx.

My view suddenly shifted direction when the melee hit impacted and I became unable to turn left or right with either the mouse or keyboard.

Kicking a monster again allowed me to regain the ability to turn. (Kicking air doesn't unstick the turning, only striking monsters seems to fix/break it.)

At first I figured this was just some odd bug in Hacx since I'd never tried that mod before so I booted up Doom 2 to test if it was present there as well.

And much to my horror when I punched an enemy in doom 2 my view also suddenly turned to a different direction and prevented turning the view left or right.

The only things I've changed since installing GZDoom are:
- Keyboard Controls: W,A,S,D now moves forward, back and straffs left & right.
- Mouse Controls: Mouselook is always on.
- Set Video Mode > Fullscreen > YES.
- Sound > Midi Device > OPL Synth Emulation
- Display > OpenGL Options > Preferences > Sector Light Mode > Standard

The version of GZDoom I'm running is the Ubuntu 32-bit release found here: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewforum.php?f=71

The OS I'm running is Linux Mint 18.1 "Serena"
Ancient Doom Guy

Re: Can't Turn After Punching

Additional information:
I just tried loading Doom 2 in GZDoom with the "Combined Arms" and "Colourful Hell" mods.
- Combined Arms: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51066
- Colourful Hell: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=47980

Surprisingly when striking with the melee weapon in this Mod's Weapon #1 slot the glitch does not occur.

So it may not be the weapon slot itself so much as something wrong with the vanilla Doom fists in weapon slot #1.

I also tried loading Final Doom in GZDoom and I can confirm that the glitch occurs in that version of doom as well.
(Both: TNT & Plutonia Experiment)
Ancient Doom Guy

Additional information:
I just loaded the "Trailblazer" Mod in GZDoom and the melee weapon in slot 1 did not produce the glitch.
- Trailblazer: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47494

When playing the vanilla versions of Doom in GZDoom:
Sometimes the first time I punch a monster it just changes the direction I'm looking without locking the ability to turn, if this happens it always seems to lock the ability to turn on the second punch.

Also at times if the turning controls are already locked punching a monster again doesn't unlock them, other times it does.
(I'm having trouble reproducing this since aiming without the ability to turn is difficult. But I'm almost sure that at one point it became stuck no matter how many times I punched a monster.)

Being killed by monsters unlocks the ability to turn when the level resets.
Ancient Doom Guy

Additional Information:
I just tried re-installing Linux Mint 18.1 'Serena' "Cinnamon 32-Bit" and with only GZDoom installed I'm still encountering this "Punching monsters locks turning" glitch.

With a clean install of my OS and only GZDoom installed the cause of the glitch is less likely to be a different program I'd previously installed conflicting with GZDoom in unexpected way.
(At least that is my theory.)

If anyone has any advice they could share on how to correct this problem or why only the base Doom melee attack is causing the glitch and not the melee attack found in a Modded version of Doom I would appreciate the help.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

I reproduced the problem with clean install of the same distro in virtual machine. I'll will build GZDoom from sources.

By the way, did you get the following error on attempt to run the game?

Code: Select all

/opt/gzdoom/gzdoom: error while loading shared libraries: libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Manual installation of libmpg123 fixed the problem, I'm just curious why it didn't installed automatically for me.
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

Unfortunately 32-bit builds on platforms other than Windows are quite broken. And I found no generic solution for this issue.
There are two options for end users: install 64-bit OS and use the corresponding version of GZDoom or build from source code using particular compiler (GCC) with a special compiler flag (-malign-double).
Ancient Doom Guy

I haven't seen an error message about libmpg123.so.0. Where should I be looking for it?

When I checked Linux Mint's Software Manager it lists "Libmpg123-0" Mpeg layer 1/2/3 audio decoder (Shared Library) as already installed.

Are libmpg123 & libmpg123-0 the same library?

Perhaps there is a version difference that prevented Libmpg123 from automatically installing if it detected a different version(libmpg123-0) was already installed?

There also appears to be a media player (Mpg123) with a similar name as the Libmpg123-0 shared library, the Software Manager shows that this player was not installed.
(I tried installing it via the Software Manager, no effect on the glitch.)

Here is the console(~) messages displayed when I starting GZDoom loading Doom 2 without any mods:

M_loadefaults: load system defaults.
W_init: init wadfiles.
 Adding /opt/gzdoom/gzdoom.pk3, 699 lumps
 Adding /home/name/doomwads/doom2.wad, 2919 lumps
I_init: setting up machine state.
CPU vendor ID: Genuine intel
 Name: intel(R) Core(TM) 13 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHZ
 Family 6, model 37, stepping 5
 Features: MMX SSe SSE2 SSE3 SSSE3 SSE4.1 SSE4.2
I_initsound: Initializing FMOD
FMOD Sound System, copyright (C) firelight technologies PTY, LTD., 1994-2009.
Loaded FMOD Version 4.44.63
Y_Init: Allocated screen.
S_Init: setting up sound.
ST_Init: init startup screen.
checking CMD-Line parameters...
S_Initdata: load sound definitions.
G_Parsemapinfo: load map definitions.
texman.init: Init texture manager.
parseteaminfo: load team definitions.
LoadActors: Load actor definitions.
script parsing took 148.48 MS
R_Init: Init doom refresh subsystem.
Decallibrary: load decals.
M_Init: init menus.
P_Init: Init playloop state.
Parsesbarinfo: Loading default status bar definition.
Parsesbarinfo Loading custom status bar definition.
D_Checknetgame: Chicking network game status.
Player 1 of 1 (1 nodes)
Using vedeo driver X11
GL_Vendor: Nvidia Corporation
GL_Randerer: GeForce GTS 450/PCIe/55E2
GL_Version: 4.5.0 Nvidia 375.39 (Compatibility profile)
GL_Shading_Language_Version: 4.50 Nvidia

Max. Texture size: 16384
Max. Texture units: 32
Max. Varying: 124
Max. Combined Shader Storage Blocks: 96
Max. vertex shader storage blocks: 16
Resolution: 800 x 600
Ancient Doom Guy

_mental_ wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:44 Unfortunately 32-bit builds on platforms other than Windows are quite broken. And I found no generic solution for this issue.
There are two options for end users: install 64-bit OS and use the corresponding version of GZDoom or build from source code using particular compiler (GCC) with a special compiler flag (-malign-double).
Sorry I missed your last message when I was posting my reply about the libmpg123. I'll try compiling GZDoom using GCC. (Unfortunately 64-bit OS isn't an option for me at the moment.)

This will be my first time trying to compile a program from a source file, is there anything I should know or watch out for?
Ancient Doom Guy

I've found a tutorial, I'll post a link to it here for anyone else who's also encountering this glitch and needs to compile GZDoom:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Compile%20GZDoom%20on%20Linux
_mental_
Developer
Developer

Post by _mental_ »

Just following the steps from that Wiki article. Additional command line option must be added at this step. CMake command line should extended with -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-malign-double" switch like this:

cd "$HOME"/gzdoom_build/gzdoom/build && \
a='' && [ "$(uname -m)" = x86_64 ] && a=64 ; \
make clean ; \
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-malign-double" \
-DFMOD_LIBRARY="$HOME"/gzdoom_build/gzdoom/fmodapi44464linux/api/lib/libfmodex"$a"-4.44.64.so \
-DFMOD_INCLUDE_DIR="$HOME"/gzdoom_build/gzdoom/fmodapi44464linux/api/inc .. && \
make

Return to “Technical Support”