KDiZD finally done

Talk about our & your projects.
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

Yeah, maybe I should read the text file.
Not that I had problems with anything. :P
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

If it makes someone happy I always read .txt files, so I won't get problems. as long there is useful information, not something like:
Spoiler: Don't open if you are afraid of TXT FILES!
I don't like to read something like this, really.
Super Jamie

Post by Super Jamie »

hi there. i'm just a doomer from way back, it's my favorite game ever. i never really got into the scene here, but i love playing it. i'm signing up just to post in this thread. no doubt kdizd is generating a fair bit of noise, but i thought i'd chuck a word in anyway

i'm not usually a zdoom player, i prefer legacy, but i downloaded it and got it cranking to try this out. and i really must say, what you've done with both the level design and the capabilities of the engine are nothing short of amazing

kdizd has a different feel to the original doom. vanilla doom was more rutty retrotech trench fighting, it had the feel of a facility which was rugged and utilitarian, made for abuse so it didn't break. kdizd feels more modern sci-fi to me, kinda like quake 2 or halflife, and in some parts like something that wouldn't be out of place in star trek. not that that's a bad thing, just an observation

the level design is quite clever, i like how the maps are familiar yet different. like you've interpreted what the level could have done better, and done it. the nuclear plant actually FEELS like a nuclear plant, etc. i played it expecting just a fancy re-hash of the originals, but it's far more than that. i also really like how the levels are non-linear, you re-use parts and it fits together quite logically

technically. wow. i never thought the doom engine could be stretched to these extents. true, this is partially due to my ignorance of zdoom, but i've played zdoom-only maps before and they were nothing new. transparencies, cameras, true 3d, curves, water, environment sounds, it all just fits together and makes for some truly breathtaking scenery. and also quite a few re-made original parts where you just go "yeah, it should have looked exactly like this"

it's not all good, however. i don't like the quake sounds - secret, the machine noises, etc. i actually really dislike quake, i don't want to be reminded of it whilst playing doom. sometimes the level design is a bit confusing and not obvious, even with markers on, and you walk around an empty level a few times till you find what you're looking for. then again, i'm sure i wandered aimlessly round some of the original levels, 12 years ago or whatever

the additional monsters are quite good, atmospheric and strategically balanced towards the harder side of things (which is good, i mean everyone can beat original doom on ultra-violence without dying once). but i felt a few of the animations could be better. the rapidfire solider looks a bit cheesy, and the death animations for the stone imp and others are not quite convincing

overall, kdizd is an incredible mod. it makes me want to play it for the challenge, and just to walk around and appreciate what you've done with the level design (pity zdoom's poorly-scaled vertical-look algorithm gives me motion-sickness).

my hat goes off to you gentlemen, for a mod well done, and certainly the most epic doom release i've seen in many years

(ps: i hope zdoom inferno has a really scary terrifying fleshy side that makes our skin crawl)
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Super Jamie wrote:(ps: i hope zdoom inferno has a really scary terrifying fleshy side that makes our skin crawl)
=D Dark maps! Yayz =D But first comes Shores of ZDoom, I think. But what will be actually the name for Inferno? ZInferno? InferZDoom? ZDoom in Inferno? Inferno ZDoom?
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

ATTENTION! VERY NASTY BUG

Z1M8 is prone to locking up GZDoom (EDIT: 1.0.24) while saving, resulting in savegame corruption.

Worst of all, it's highly unpredictable. I got burned while saving immediately before taking the blue key over the acid pit, and I've been unable to reproduce the lockup since.

USE MULTIPLE SAVE FILES when playing Z1M8 in GZDoom. If possible, make a new savegame every time. So if this happens, it won't hit you as hard as it hit me.
Last edited by Iori Branford on Thu Jun 28, 2007 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
Snarboo

Post by Snarboo »

I didn't have that problem at all, strange. What version of GZDoom are you using?
Paul
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by Paul »

@Iori - Dude you don't have to make such a fuss about it man. I understand you're pissed off big time, but dude, keep it izzy.

Welcome to the forums btw :happy:
Jive

Post by Jive »

Paul wrote:@Iori - Dude you don't have to make such a fuss about it man. I understand you're pissed off big time, but dude, keep it izzy.

Welcome to the forums btw :happy:
Hehehe...
Youthful indiscretion, Pastor! :twisted:
Jive

Post by Jive »

Graf Zahl wrote:The first lesson in developing anything:

Most people are stupid
Even non-stupid people are mostly lazy.

Stupid and lazy people don't read manuals.
Graf, you pissed me off one more time with your unfriendly comment, like you are used to make them...

Are you blind or what?
You didn't notice that on one of the screenshots I have circled in red the "Smart" option?!?
how I could have encircled it if I had not read the text file?!?

I circled it because I have read this warning:

Code: Select all

GZDoom Issues : GZDoom does not handle sprites in the same
                          way as ZDoom, and as such some visual effects may
                          not look correct. In order to minimize this, it
                          is recommended to set up GZDoom as follows:
                          In the GL display options settings, 'Adjust
                          Sprite clipping' should be set to 'smart'.
And it's because it wasn't efficient that I wrote what I wrote...
Whom is stupid and lazy?
Of course, I asked you to correct a very well known old bug... and you didn't appreciate it...
Last edited by Jive on Tue Jul 03, 2007 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Jive, please calm down. To argue with someone won't help you. It just makes everything even worser. And please stop making an elephant out of a mosquito. Yeah, Graf made a mistake, but that doesn't mean you have the right to flame him. Just tell it Graf without getting too aggressive, people like me don't like that, and you will get a positive answer.

Man, what a community...
...is that all happening just because of these light effects? I mean it's silly to start clashing with other people just because of silly light effects. The effects were done like this, and we have to live with it.

PERIOD Grrrrrr...!
Jive

Post by Jive »

KeksDose, stop telling me what I HAVE to write, what I HAVE to be, and how I HAVE to manage the attacks against me.
Who are you for telling me such a thing?!?
What are your contributions for Doom?
Where they are?

For me, I work for Doom since pretty 10 years.
What about you?
PERIOD Grrrrrrr...!
Man, what a community...
It's exactly because of it that I left the community.
What do I find when I come back (because it was asked to me)?
I find assholes telling no matter what about me, one more time!!!
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Jive,
I NEVER tell you WHAT to do, or what reactions you should have.
I'm not going to clash with you. It's just SILLY that THIS happens because of some STUPID LIGHT EFFECTS and because of a TEXT FILE.

A little pile of text and a programmed object aren't something to argue about!

It's just silly to have a flamewar, just because of this. :evil: Bah. Enough.

A community must be members which respect comments and don't flame any other because of a virtual object. And it's getting even sillier because this is happening because of STUPID LIGHT EFFECTS and because of a TEXT FILE.

[Edit]
Right now, "Jive", you're telling me what to do.

"Jive, stop telling me what I HAVE to write, what I HAVE to be, and how I HAVE to manage the attacks against me.
Who are you for telling me such a thing?!?
What are your contributions for Doom?
Where they are?"

I was just saying you, almost BEGGING, to "calm down". With "calm down" I mean you should not be this aggressive to others.

...*Takes DEEEEP breath*...

PERIOD Grrrrrrr...! (TM) And hopefully the last PERIOD of this thread...!
Logan MTM

Post by Logan MTM »

You should be green now Jive! :S
So as you read this know my friends I'd love to stay with you all.
Please smile when you think of me. My body's gone that's all...
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Jive wrote:It's exactly because of it that I left the community.
What do I find when I come back (because it was asked to me)?
I find assholes telling no matter what about me, one more time!!!
The only reason they're being assholes to you is because you're preempting them with your own asshole behavior. Now if you keep this up I'm going to administer half-a-gallon of Justice(tm) on you.

Note: I consider my admin powers as the Internet equivalent of karate - you study them in hopes that you will never have to use them.
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Hehehe amuzing getting angry over something so unimportant.

Return to “Projects”