User registration problems should be fixed

Main drdteam.org news.
[Home] [Hosted & External Links]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

User registration problems should be fixed

Post by Rachael »

Since the move, DRD Team seems to have been plagued with different problems relating to user registration. Two problems appear to have caused this:
  1. The php mail() function was not working. It may have been due to the sendmail configuration on this host - however, I may simply resort to using an external SMTP server instead. The problem is solved for now - it sends mail, but it will most likely be marked as "spam" - I am not positive how I will resolve that.
  2. The register function itself did not permit registrations - at all. The method that was previously used to verify clients was broken during the move - and I am not yet quite sure how to fix it. It has been temporarily disabled, though.
  3. Additionally, CAPTCHA settings have also changed. It should be much more readable now - I figure it's safe to loosen this up quite a bit due to the other verification that is in place.
If there are any further issues, please contact me on ZDoom or Skulltag.
Firebrand
Dev Builds Team

Re: User registration problems should be fixed

Post by Firebrand »

The email problem seems to be a bug in the current release of PHPbb as noted here:
http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/46725
I'm the ruler of the Fire Power.....
baghead
Hosted

Post by baghead »

PHP's mail() function sucks; it can't do any kind of authentication. Pear's Mail class is much better. You can use it to send outgoing mail from any gmail account using smtp.gmail.com on port 587, it will almost never go into spam. I'm not sure if you have it available to you, but if so it's definitely worth switching, even if it requires some tiny changes to the code.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Updated - again.

Return to “News”