It's live!

Main drdteam.org news.
[Home] [Hosted & External Links]
Rachael
Developer
Developer

It's live!

Post by Rachael »

If you visit the DRD Team forums now, you've probably noticed things look a little different.

The upgrade to phpBB 3.1 is now live. I have converted all hostee's portal pages to be compatible with the upgrade - if I missed any, or if anything broke, please let me know.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: It's live!

Post by Tiger »

I think what you really meant was...
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Yes, it is quite alive. I'm still going through all the settings to see what's new, there's so many new features. ^_^
Graf Zahl
GZDoom Developer
GZDoom Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

How can I change the theme? The current one makes it very hard to make out new posts.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

For now, I've only included the prosilver variant that I customized (partially with colorize-it, partially by hand), but I've gone ahead and enabled the base prosilver as well, but it will have problems with reading people's usernames (since the colors are bright and based on dark backgrounds). I can go through and enable a few of Arty's styles as well, if it would be better. Do you have any that suit your taste?

They must be 3.1 compatible, but you can find some at these sites: Now that I turned on prosilver, the option should be on this page: link

If you do find one you like, let me know.
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

Just wanted to say thanks. I'm loving the notification feature!
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

You're welcome. :)

The reason for the upgrade was more than just new features though. I don't know how long until phpBB 3.0 reaches its end of support life, but I know I didn't want to be in a position where I couldn't just quickly patch out a vulnerability if one was found.

Also, in a way I do see 3.0 as "clinging on to the past". It's a very nice system overall, and the support and features it has is really nice. A lot of sites still use it and probably will for a long time. But ultimately, the world does not wait. This is part of also why I did not replace the styles that were present before the upgrade. It's time to move on. The old site was broken, in my opinion - the default style required Javascript to function properly, it was glitchy as hell, and it was getting annoying enough that I just wanted to "start fresh", so to speak. Also, in my hard learned experience, I've found that sometimes the longer you wait to move on to something new, the harder it becomes later on when you actually need to.

For all my criticisms about the styles the old site had though, I don't mind installing new ones, as long as they focus more on thematic appearance than functionality. I don't need gidgets and gadgets and gizmos flying all over the page - that's what the addon system is for - and I've already found several that I liked - including "Lightbox" which shrinks people's images and allows you to click on them for fullscreen.

Here's a preview of "Lightbox" in action -
Screenshot_Doom_20160413_071200.png
Screenshot_Doom_20160413_071200.png (2.04 MiB) Viewed 6417 times
Edward-san
Developer
Developer

Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Edward-san »

Can you improve the color difference between 'unread post' and 'read post' icons? They seem a bit similar, giving me hard times discerning the differences.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:including "Lightbox" which shrinks people's images and allows you to click on them for fullscreen.
Nice, really nice.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
NeuralStunner

Re: Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by NeuralStunner »

It would be fantastic if I could have post profiles on the left side again. (Why this option isn't part of the provided styles baffles me. Have they never looked at one single other forum software?) :?

Oh, and while you're updating stuff, how about this fella? :)
Gez wrote:Looking into it with Firebug, I have come to the sobering conclusion that I really don't understand how HTML and CSS work anymore.
The most CSS I've done has been trying to make a phpBB forum look right. I've also had to redo it once... The design is nice but I'm starting to wish I'd gone with something like SimpleMachines.

It woudl be nice if phpBB 4 rolled out, with a more maintainable "mod" approach. Maybe I was just spoiled by pmwiki. :P
Dean Koontz wrote:Human beings can always be relied upon to exert, with vigor, their God-given right to be stupid.
Spoiler: System Specs
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Re: Upgrade to phpBB 3.1

Post by Rachael »

Edward-san wrote:Can you improve the color difference between 'unread post' and 'read post' icons? They seem a bit similar, giving me hard times discerning the differences.
Yes, I can, but it will take a few days. My laptop cannot handle Photoshop, it causes the hard drive to overheat, so I will have to put it on one of my stationary computers and that will take a few days because I am a little overwhelmed with other obligations right now.
NeuralStunner wrote:It would be fantastic if I could have post profiles on the left side again. (Why this option isn't part of the provided styles baffles me. Have they never looked at one single other forum software?) :?

Oh, and while you're updating stuff, how about this fella? :)
Gez wrote:Looking into it with Firebug, I have come to the sobering conclusion that I really don't understand how HTML and CSS work anymore.
The most CSS I've done has been trying to make a phpBB forum look right. I've also had to redo it once... The design is nice but I'm starting to wish I'd gone with something like SimpleMachines.

It woudl be nice if phpBB 4 rolled out, with a more maintainable "mod" approach. Maybe I was just spoiled by pmwiki. :P
Holy crap. I forgot all about that. It's on my to-do list. Really sorry. :shock:

The profiles on the left side thing - eh, it seems to be more common to have them on the right side, now. If I do find a mod that lets you choose I'll put it on.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

The icon is added. Thank you for making it! :)
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

The old format had something called "View New Posts" or something similar. I found that to be a very useful feature that appears to be missing in this new format. Am I simply not looking in the correct place?

Also, nice and shiny new pages. Thanks.
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

It's now under "Quick Links" on the top.

http://forum.drdteam.org/search.php?search_id=newposts
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

I don't have a Quick Links. I'm using Safari on iPhone. Pretty sure I haven't seen it on Chrome for MS Windows either. Does it need to be adjusted in Settings? Because I looked in Settings and didn't see anything that I could change.

[EDIT: I looked at the page in Google Chrome & do see Quick Links. I missed it in Safari, as the icon shows but there is no descriptive text. Now I know what to look for. Thanks.]

Return to “News”