Doom 2 Sprites Project Advise Inquiry

Talk about our & your projects.
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Shinjanji wrote:Damn, and here I was expecting something akin to this: (Note: only the front leg is finished, lol)
Wow pretty damn good looks alot better indeed it would be sweet to see doom monsters as good as this example.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

You know, I just thought of something.

If you really want to be good at spriting for Doom, I'd suggest attempting at least part of it... It'd be great practice! :P
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Its probably better to stick all that time in my maps and let someone else do this kind of stuff :) it will be an big learning process for me and I'm not sure if I have the patience to go trough all that.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Got bored and worked on the sprite some more.

Note that I have aboslutely no intention to do them all. If I get bored in the future, I might try to do some other sprite, like the Baron.

ImageImage
(To be done: Arms, back leg)
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I'd never spend that long making a sprite set :laff:

If I were to try to get that level of detail and shading, I'd first have to draw the sprites well to begin with, and I don't really do that. Shading varies massively from monster to monster, as does quality of rotations :P
Dutch Devil

Post by Dutch Devil »

Wow looking forward to the finished demon, maybe if you know more people who can do this kind of stuff as well and work as an team to redesign all sprites :p
Vader
Stronghold Team

Post by Vader »

I've to admit that this looks quite good!
IMO the teeth could need some more work though...
mac53

Post by mac53 »

Man..., I'm seriously impressed with Shinjanji's abilities. To be able to do that kind of work
using the paint attributes alone, blows me away. :shock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shinjanji

In Paint Shop Pro X, I have [Raster] & [Vector] layers, which one would you recommend that I use, as I'm trying to follow your instructions. :wink:
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Raster layers. Vectors won't work for this particular application.

Though, if you could accurately vectorize the entire sprite and have it look perfect, then you could scale it to WHATEVER resolution you wanted, with no loss in quality (Though you would need to re-add some details)

But I'm seriously suggesting AGAINST using vectors. Just stay with the raster imagery, like the original ;)

EDIT:
Vader wrote:I've to admit that this looks quite good!
IMO the teeth could need some more work though...
Yeah, I totally forgot the upper teeth. I noticed that yesterday, but I'll fix that once I go back and work on the sprite more. When that'll be, I don't know.

EDIT2:
mac53 wrote:Man..., I'm seriously impressed with Shinjanji's abilities. To be able to do that kind of work
using the paint attributes alone, blows me away. :shock:
Well, that comes from 3 things:
1. Knowledge of my medium. I've been using Photoshop since version 5.5.
2. My tools. I have a Wacom Intuos3 graphics tablet. [link] I could only afford the 4"x5" though.
3. Artistic experience. I'm FAR from the best, but I can draw more than just stick figures. [http://shinjanji.deviantart.com/]
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Shinjanji wrote:Note that I have aboslutely no intention to do them all.
Not that I can blame you, but that's a damn shame. Without high resolution sprites, high resolution textures just don't look right.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Yeah, I would love to see the resolution overhauled just as much as the next Doomer, but that's just a project that is beyond the bounds of my sanity.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Well maybe you can help direct mac53 in his efforts. Even that unfinished sprite looks great.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

Shinjanji, what do you use the blur and smudge tools for? Do you use Smudge to smoothen out two enlarged pixels?
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

Yes. I use the original pixels as a base. I know it shouldn't be done, but it's just a bored project! :P

But yeah, I just blur the pixels and then start painting. I do it mostly just to gain a better feel of a soft shade to refine.
Nash
Developer
Developer

Post by Nash »

I tried to follow your tips but can't seem to get anywhere near close to the results you've posted. If you can assist me by providing step-by-step pics of your process (you can start by doing something small like the health bonus or something), I can help you finish this stuff and who knows, it might turn into a complete sprite set or something.

I'm using a Graphire 4, by the way.

Return to “Projects”