Very large city map

Talk about our & your projects.
Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion »

Very nice. How do you do the sloped roofs like that and how do you make the interiors with that?
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Haha, lots of hard work... I decide to cut music from this level - only sounds will be storm blasts, winds through the leaves and other ambients... And all textures will be in high ress. On this day I have 75%.
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Probable premiere: july 2008

Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Drool
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I'm drooling too. I guess you could call this a double-dribble? =P
MauricioRocks

Post by MauricioRocks »

woooooow"

nice new pics!

it's look awesome! can't wait to play it!

nice work ^^
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

ommfg tha looks cool...

I wont be like the others and say I cant wait for release(though I cant)

The textures look great, the game looks great the arictecture is trancendant!

How's syskesccorps models coming on?

*RANDOM IDEA!!*
What about some kind of zombier invasion map?(would be cool, hiding out in bulidings with a rifle! ...would need a script to limit the zombies numbers though)
It's Arma-goddamn-M*****ing-geddon.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

God dammit, and here I was hoping Reinchard had posted another update! You sure fooled me there...

Still looking forward to it, though!
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE FROM REINCHARD!

Well, well, well, It's June(read- apparent release soon)
and I'm still on the edge of my seat...

well, I would be If I hadn't fallen off several times and got back up...
but I'm back on the edge of my couch(gotta love living room dooming xD)
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Ha, ha, I said july, not june. Easy, I do what I can :D After work I consecrate to this map lots of time. I have some trouble with size of this monster. On this day wad have something about 100 MB, but I work on it. This can be big problem for many people which they will want download this. But I can replace png with jpg textures, this looks hideously. What do you think about this?
Mortarion

Post by Mortarion »

Well, I meant soon for expected release, not right now, but I dont mind large downloads, but maybe pk3-ing the wad would be an idea, if it's not already, or if it is, try offering two DL's: one with the *great* hi-res textures, and one with lower res textures.
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Reinchard wrote:....I can replace png with jpg textures, this looks hideously. What do you think about this?
  • 1. If it looks hideous, don't do it.
    2. I'm not sure how much file size reduction you can achieve by converting from .png to .jpg. PNG format files usually tend to be fairly compressed to begin with.
    3. Converting from .png to .jpg will result in going from a great many colors to the limited color palette of .jpg format images. This is probably why your converted textures come out looking like shit.
Although the screenshots look terrific, I wanted to point out one small visual issue. In your first pic, notice how the trees get clipped by the building as well as the wall on the right. You probably realize that this is because your tree sprites are quite wide, and placing them close to sectors or void space could result in them being clipped. There are a few solutions, none of which is probably suitable for you:
  • 1. Use narrower tree sprites
    2. Widen the street and the hedges on which the trees sit
    3. Remove the trees from that street
Good luck with your project, which looks very promising.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I certainly agree that if it looks hideous, you should not do it. Why spoil a map that is set up to be a visual feast of photorealistic buildings by putting jpeg artifacts all over the place?

JPG files are, in my experience, quite a bit smaller then PNGs but the loss of quality at the size of textures is noticable. There shouldn't be a drop in the number of colours though. JPGs are not paletised.
Reinchard

Post by Reinchard »

Thanks for opinion. About trees - I have dilemma. Street can't be wider because I decided to hold on true sizes. I know, this looking little strange, but I don't want remove trees.
If I make two versions of wad: one with low res nad second with high-resoultion textures, then I will have make two different maps, with different textures X Y coordinates. Double work.
Maybe if I remove some not necessarily textures, I will reduce size of wad to 90-80 MB. I hope, this will be no problem to you guys, if you want download it.

IS IT?
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

I've got a slow connection but I'm happy to put up with a long download time for something I think will be good. Just make sure you upload it to somewhere that I can stick a download manager on to it. :)

As for the X Y offset problem, it's probably too late now, but if you set your hi-res textures up using the texture1 lump and set them to use "world units" for offset values, hi res textures and equivallent normal resolution textures will offset exactly the same. In fact, that's precisely why I asked for the feature a number of years ago. If you are doing it by hirestex - I'm not so familiar with that format but, at least for replaced textures, I thought it kept offsets correct too.

However, again I'd say a big part of this project's appeal is the way it looks. I personally wouldn't want to compromise that - as much as low-res textures would - just to make the file size smaller.

Return to “Projects”