Collaborative Mapping

Talk about our & your projects.
Jeric

Collaborative Mapping

Post by Jeric »

First let me state I'm a total and utter newb both in this community and doom mapping in general. With the obligatory warning out of the way, how common are hub-style maps where the central hub is designed then a challenge is issued to provide maps to link with that central map?

Also, how many here work with strife resources as opposed to doom/heretic?
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

I don't think anybody in the community has made a regular hub-style map with this intention before, but Tormentor's Stronghold project does come close (although the maps aren't exactly "connected" thematically).

I know Kaiser has made at least two Strife maps, and there was going to be a weapon mod for Strife at some point too...
Jeric

Post by Jeric »

Glad to know my initial thought for a community type project hasn't been done to death yet, of course that could also be because there's a lack in interest but eh. We'll see what pops up after I figure out how the frak to do this without it being yet another boxworld type setup.

To remedy that I have to ask: Would there be any interest in a bit of a competition/collaboration where you've got your rules up front, a central hub/citadel/town map, and x number of slots that can be worked off of from that map giving a general motif for the design?
Jeric

Post by Jeric »

What follows is the written equivalent of a doodle. Take it with a grain of slat as I have zero skills whatsoever outside of possibly doing layout so yes, I know what I'm proposing here is far far too ambitious.

Name: Blood Money

Game Base: Strife, possibly borrowing from doom2's WAD, definitely borrowing off community resources.

Goal: Single player experience based on strife, but mixing around available weapons, and to add in a few elements that felt missing from strife itself (most notably side missions/jobs, hence the title, the complete removal of the electric arrow because, frankly, it sucks, and the weapon slot can be taken up by something better). Additionally the Sigil will have to be removed, possibly being replaced by a BFG like weapon near the end of the game (Want to make it use ammo that ISN'T related to the flamethrower/disruptor's ammo since that'd be 3(or four) weapons that use the same ammunition).. Also I want this to be something community done if at all possible, that way my own newness to mapping can potentially be mitigated by those better than me, and there needs to be a bit of variety.

Plot: Set post game in strife's setting, diferent town that's still under the Orders control. Entity's dead, Order's fragmented, but is still trying to retain control. Primary goal will be to liberate another town, similer layout to the one in strife, but not quite the same.

Level structure.

(Act 1)
Town (Doomsberg)
Armory(accesed via Town)
Bar (Dis is where most of the early jobs come from, possibly via menu at a central board location in addition to quests opening up by various patrons). (accessed via town)
Garrison(killing program swaps Garrison map out for something denoting its now Front controlled.) (Accessed via Town)
Bastion(Fight Programmer here.) (Accessed via Garrison)
Power Station(Accessed via garrison)
Prison(player starts in an interrogation room in prison)
Shopping Area(either part of town, or accessed via town)
Foundry (armor)(shopping area)
Hospital (shopping area)
Chop Shop (Think like buying cyberware from shadowrun for the genesis, you come in here, pay money, get implants. Current thought processes revolve around Health (definite), something to tweak run speed (likely), Jump height (unsure on if that's possible), Accuracy (would be nice if it were doable up to a point where it feels like it actually makes a difference in combat), Possibly something that would increase the kind of damage you do with your melee attack. (Accessed via Hospital)
Pawn Shop (hey, it doesn't make sense to let shop owners buy stuff from you normally, so stick this guy here to allow players to sell off weapons they don't' want, or more precisely 'junk' items found scattered hither and yon) (shopping are)
Weapon Shop (shopping are)
Modders area (where you can have some weapons modified, either by granting a different mode of fire (replacing the one that it came with), how much ammunition it carries, accuracy, and if possible dictating how much energy power-cell based weapons use (weapon shop)
Waste Reclamation/Sewage(Town)
Underground caves (meeting more priests like the oracle that went into hiding rather than operate under Order control. Main Plot Point will be whether their goals are to help humanity reclaim itself, or to restore their power base) (Waste reclamation)

More to come, can't think right now, probably a good thing. The first chapter segment will fill up things for ages anyway, best to end it there so if that's all that gets done I can say that I've set out to do what I wanted done rather than quit without anything to show.

Weapons
Punch Dagger

Poison Crossbow (good for silent take downs, but does zilch against anything that isn't a fleashies)
Mod (not really a mod so much as buying a bigger quiver), more ammo

SMG (Can we do something about the firing sound? Please?)
Mod: Bigger Ammo Clip, More accurate

Shotgun (dude, this is a doom engine game and it done'st have a propper shotgun. WTF?!)
Mod: Less recoil

Rocket Launcher
Mod: Less recoil, better accuracy

Flame Thrower
mod: better power management, longer range (slightly), can hold more power

Grenade Launcher (I never liked this weapon, but tweak it a bit and give it more ammunition types (EMP (works on robots only, bumkiss on organics), proximity (aka a landmine), and the two types shown in game and make it one grenade per launch and it'd be golden)

Disruptor
mod: Swapping from (shotgun of death) to (BOOM), Better power management, can hold more power

BFG (ammunition has to be damned rare, mods for this thing few or nonexistent...or ungodly expensive, but to compensate, if you point it at something, short of the last boss in the game, it will die in one or two hits)
Mod: Turning it from firing the disruptor's boom shot, into the BFG9k's shot style (which then opens up the 'uses less ammo per shot' option), kickback reduction
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Moved by request - I hope this project works out for you, it sounds like my kind of thing.

Return to “Projects”