[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine. (Last updated - 5/2/06)

Talk about our & your projects.
Apothem

[Big Concept Map] The RPG Engine. (Last updated - 5/2/06)

Post by Apothem »

Yes, you have read correctly. A turn-based RPG engine for doom is being developed. This is the biggest script I'll prolly ever create and I'm pulling out all the stops. Currently the engine is in it's documentation stages and I'm getting all my thoughts collected on how I'm gonna pull this off. I have made a post about this also in the ZDoom forums, and this post contains all the documentation information. This will be an 'open source' type of project. What I mean by that is you will be able to watch every inch of it's progress as I implement each and every feature.

Here is the post on the RPG engine.

I will post my thoughts and such on this project here, and you guys will be the first to know what the real progress is on the modification as I'm working on it. I hope to make an update a day on the documentation post, and when I start coding, an update a day on the ACS scripts.
Last edited by Apothem on Tue May 02, 2006 22:21, edited 5 times in total.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Sounds nice, but the doomarmory forums are for weapon mods. :P

This is where the non weapon mod projects go. Just helping you out.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Meh, in a sense, this is also gonna be a weapons modification because of the fact that It's gonna be changing the way the entire game is going to be played. I'm gonna replace the weapons with stat arrays and make all the armor purchasable through 'vendors'. It's gonna be an interesting project. But if this is really in the wrong forum, then hopefully the moderator will move it. It seems tho that the Shielding system modification I made didn't get moved, so I assume I'm in the right forum.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

Also Edge 1.29 introduced a bunch of new RPG style scripting abilities.
Chronoteeth

Post by Chronoteeth »

Well, okay, but then it's more like a TC/PC.

Still gotta post in the projects area if it is a TC/PC. :/
Killmur wrote:Also Edge 1.29 introduced a bunch of new RPG style scripting abilities.
Yeah, RC 3 made that even bigger, but it's his mod, let him make it for his port.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Givin' it the ol' punt.
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

I'd just like to post an update right now: The storyline has been put in and I believe the small itty bitty team I have put together will be able to start designing a demo. Things are getting very interesting, and I have begun coding on the project, and still working on it as I speak. thanks to everyone for their interest! 8)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Rpg You say? Looking forward :)
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

Thanks paul. :D

Anyway, a news update for you all:
The post on the Zdoom forums wrote:Currently I'm working on the basic battle system framework and trying to get all the baseline functions and scripts in place. Once I can get all the framework in, it should be relatively easy to create new melee and magic attacks.

Magic attacks will be a basic decorate projectile that activates a script upon spawn and upon detonation. I haven't quite figured out all of the specifics and the exact contents of the scripts but, the magic attacks will still just be basic decorate projectiles that activate a script.

Melee attacks will be done a tad bit differently, and I will be releasing more information on these as I get to them.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Should we post resources and stuff here (the magic stuff I sent you) Apothem?
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

No, not untill we get something presentable together. I dont want anything to be released untill there is a somewhat good reason to release it. I kinda want to keep this a semi-surprise for the community.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Apothem, before you post...
Oh fuck that...
Any chance of seeing osme pictures soon?
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

ellmo wrote:Apothem, before you post...
Oh fuck that...
Any chance of seeing osme pictures soon?
Lol... Maybe. I have yet to get anything worth showing yet. :(
Apothem

Post by Apothem »

There has been an update, but i'm too lazy to post it here so you'll have to go to the zdoom forum thread i have which is here.
I will, also, be posting some videos of what the battle system will be similiar to as soon as i can get some descent footage.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Is this battle system turn-based? If so, is there a party You can have with You? :) Goddamn, I'm looking forward to it then.

Return to “Projects”