SpaceDM9: Newschool Oldschool DM. In space.

Talk about our & your projects.
esselfortium

SpaceDM9: Newschool Oldschool DM. In space.

Post by esselfortium »

Oldschool deathmatch just got newschool.

General Information
SpaceDM9 is a set of smooth-flowing deathmatch maps with a combined focus on open-ended gameplay, grand architecture, and unique, modern settings. Built for the Skulltag engine, these levels are designed to take full advantage of the ZDoom software renderer and UDMF editing features.

Features
  • All-new maps with smooth-flowing layouts and vertically-oriented designs
  • Classic deathmatch gameplay in open, playground-style maps
  • Modern, high-detail visuals and architecture
  • New high-resolution skyboxes for every map
  • Brand new, custom-made textures
  • New, original music
  • Animated special effects for jump pads and more
  • Orbiting lobby with map-picker
  • Palette modifications to add lavender and cyan ranges, more dark reds, and Simplicity-based blues and greens
  • Pixel-edited colormap enhancement to improve clarity of distance fading
  • SpaceTV moving picture entertainment device
  • Realistic HUD windshield wipers

Locations
SpaceDM9 represents a wide variety of locations from different corners of the universe.
A few samples of what you'll find:

Air Snares comprises the tertiary shipping and receiving bay of Hasbro-controlled Marketing Nebula 23. After a number of loose-cargo incidents caused by nearby gravitational pull and exacerbated by incompetent employees, the base has gradually fallen into disuse.

At the bottom of a crater on the moon from which it takes its name, Eat At Phobo's is a weapons development and testing installation built as part of the Union Aerospace Corporation's terraforming project. For your health and safety, jumping has been disabled in this locale.

The striking centerpiece of bustling downtown Spacetokyo, Shogouki is a cyberpunk metropolis decked out with popular tourist attractions, including a sushi bar and walk-through aquarium.

Locations are currently being developed by Esselfortium, Brinks, Mechadon, Wagi, The Green Herring, Zap610, Tango, and Revenant.

Further updates will follow as development progresses.

Oldschool DM with a newschool twist.

When it's done.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Re: SpaceDM9: Newschool Oldschool DM. In space.

Post by wildweasel »

These screenshots somehow look even more awesome against the DRD Team forum skin that I'm using than they do against ZDoom's lighter-colored forums. =P
Rex Claussen
Developer
Developer

Post by Rex Claussen »

Shogouki is a stunning recreation of a cyber-punk'd Tokyo scene.
PeskySaurus

Post by PeskySaurus »

... I would play an entire single player campaign done to the theme of Shougoki.

Also, isn't that like a Japanese chess? (I remember hearing a term like that in the Bebop movie.)
"Maybe one day I can figure it out, till then I just put another cigarette out, pull up a chair, open a brew, sit on the porch, and do what I do..." -Rehab
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

PeskySaurus wrote:... I would play an entire single player campaign done to the theme of Shougoki.

Also, isn't that like a Japanese chess? (I remember hearing a term like that in the Bebop movie.)
It's the Japanese name of Eva Unit 01 from Evangelion; my eyes are weird and make the rusty tan/gray combination seen in textures like SLIME15, SLIME14, and the similarly-colored grayish concrete that's used all over the place in this map look to me like a grayish purple/lavender. With the other base color of the map being green, it creates a washed-out version of Unit 01's purple and green scheme. Combined with the future-Japan setting and the fact that I just like the sound of the name, it fit.

I've more recently added actual, vivid purple to the map, using a 7-index purple ramp I hacked into the SpaceDM9 palette a while back. It looks pretty great, I think. And it much better lives up to its title. :)

Post by Alter »

I LOVED SpaceDM5 (and even attended at the final version launch party.) and am definitely awaiting this essel. Btw question, how do you detail those slopes? I always thought detailing slopes can't be done that easily (talking about INSIDE in the slope) because they would'nt be affected by the slope linedef at all. YOU KNOW what I mean.
esselfortium

Post by esselfortium »

Alter wrote:I LOVED SpaceDM5 (and even attended at the final version launch party.) and am definitely awaiting this essel. Btw question, how do you detail those slopes? I always thought detailing slopes can't be done that easily (talking about INSIDE in the slope) because they would'nt be affected by the slope linedef at all. YOU KNOW what I mean.
Well, this'll be quite a different experience than much of SpaceDM5. I think it'll be seen as a huge improvement both by fans and critics of DM5, though :)

And it took me a minute to understand your question, but the answer is merged dummy sectors outside the map area, lined up with the ingame slopes. Make all of them the length of the longest slope in the structure (i.e. the main sector of the ramp, or whatever), and line them all up with each other. Merge them with the ingame sectors, and set their slopes from the out-of-map dummy sectors instead of inside the map area directly. If you need one part of the ramp to be at a different height from the rest, just add or subtract that amount from both the dummy sector height and the dummy's adjacent sector's height (i.e. the sectors on the front and back sides of the slope line).

ZDoom's physics and sliding handling on slopes is a bit wonky, though, so SpaceDM9 uses a slightly more complex setup than what I described for detailed floor ramps, making use of some transfer heights setups combined with slope-copy things to keep the ramp following one continuous incline as far as the game physics are concerned.

Return to “Projects”