*Figured I'd post here since there are some mappers here who may come across this and be interested*
A short while ago I came across an interesting concept and now I decided to build on it.
Essentially the concept is this: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=12117/
The concept is to "fuse" two Classic DooM maps of your choosing and integrate them into something new. Like Nick Baker's map above takes E1M1 and mixes it up with Map01 (DooM 2) to create a rather interesting combination, the result is something new yet nostalgic.
So without further ado, here are the guidelines:
- Jumping and crouching should not be required to complete your map
- Pistol start
- Custom textures are allowed
- Custom monsters are allowed (although try to use them well)
- No custom weapons
- Any two map styles can be mixed together, Phobos Anomaly+Tower of Babel, Command Control+Underhalls, Spirit World+Entryway, etc.
- Map/Style combinations must be from classic iwad (Ult. Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom)
- State the maps you used with your submission
- As a general rule of thumb, try to not just strew together pieces of the two map styles, do not just retexture a copy of a classic map (not sure if that's even legal), and do not be TOO exact with the base layout (Try to deviate, create something new, while staying true to the original)
- Just because your map is based off E1M1 does not mean it has to be as hard as E1M1, as long as it's from pistol start the map should give the player an interesting time.
- You can have more than one submission
- Skulltag/software renderer compatibility is not an issue. Feel free to use 3d floors and the latest zdoom features
- UDMF map format is preferable
- You can post your submission here, or send it via PM if you wanna keep it a surprise or something
- Put some effort into the map, don't throw something together in 10 minutes with little regard to the fact that others are gonna have to play it, make it worth someone's time to play, make it interesting, just make a decent map as best as you can
EDIT2: You can use Chex maps in your map fusions BUT it has to be a Chex map fused with a Doom/Heretic map done in Doom/Heretic style. The Chex style is just too "clean" for demons and blood and gore and general Doom stuff.
If you aren't sure what to do, you can use Nick Baker's map linked above, or my map linked below, as a reference, but keep in mind that just because it's an E1M1 mix up doesn't mean it has to be as hard as E1M1
I think that pretty much sums up the gist of this project, now here is my submission:
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?hmmcc0o3pz771ah (Command Control , E1M4, and Underhalls, Map02-Doom 2) - (ZDooM 2.5.0, OpenGL required)