Exorcist.WAD (?)

Talk about our & your projects.
ellmo
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Exorcist.WAD (?)

Post by ellmo »

1. I'm not going to show any other screens, that were already shown in different threads.
If people viewing this topic wish, I may place all released screens here as well (for the sake of consequence).

2. The idea of this topic is very typical newproject type, and it's purposes are as follows:
- I write down whatever I have already decided about the WAD, and decided to make it public.
- And you, fellow forum users, are kindly requested to give away serious ideas for minor improvements, like weapons, monsters, inventory, and such.
- Please do not post any map ideas - I will not use map concepts that went to the public.
This is meant to be a surprise ;) If you really eluda taluda have to share your mapping thoughts - PM me.

3. The serious shit.
The name of the WAD is still uncertain. I did name it exorcist.wad just for now, to indicate the atmosphere which it is supposed to have. It's a horror-themed Map (maps?), with you as an amateur occultist and vampire-slayer-wannabe, that in the first place doesn't know a single thing about vampires. You have your trusty .45cal (without silver bullets tho'), and enough guts to spy on a psychotic priest, accused of 27 ritual murders.
The mentioned priest is believed to lead a cult, which perform dark rituals, and worship gods of neverending death... and you think this is an interesting place to begin your vampire-related research. How naive.

Anyway, this is atmosphere oriented WAD. No midless running, shooting and such. Different types of environments (to be honest - this is how the map started looong ago: by testing potential enviroment kinds in ZDoom). Lots of different locations, including some in the parralel world of undead known as the Underdark (yeah, I consider changing it, as it's from Forgotten Realms).
Almost entire WAD is lighted exclusively with GZDoom dynamic lights, and I'm doing everything to make it run fast in all locations, but since my computer is a really powerful son-of-a-b***h, I can't say that you will not experience FPS drop in the Underdark parts of the map. There's also Solarsnowall's type fog in some places, but I hope that It'll run fine.

This WAD is not supposed to have a lot of weapons and enemies. I would like to have 5-6 weapons with different types of damage, so blowing up a Vampire won't be easy. I'm also thinking about some equipment, maybe even black magic spells to aid you. There's already a flashlight, and it's very helpful.

=======================

If you have read the entire post, and are not asleep yet, then know, that these are the lumps I need most critically:
-undead monster sprites
-horror sounds, and supsense music (from games, or some horror-movies)
-equipment ideas
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Hold it! hold it!
Stop replying all at once... the server may not stand it.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

WOW!!! What a really cliched plotline. Has all the makings of many other horror games and movies. All I can say is I like it.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Soultaker wrote: Has all the makings of many other horror games and movies.
Name some, then I will have to admit it copies from MANY OTHER games and movies...

That's really not the feedback I asked for.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

I was being sarcastic. Heh.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

You fail it! Heh.
Soultaker

Post by Soultaker »

That line is so old and gay now I am not even laughing. As for your project hope you can pull it off. The word "Originial" seems to be a hard word to master nowadays when it comes to any project.
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

The Doom Community needs to adopt a new Engrish catchphrase...something like:

WARNING!!
A HUGE BATTLESHIP
TYPE CC-30
IS APPROACHING FAST!
BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Too bad the collision check for sloped 3D_Floors is still so cramped... you would always stuck if you walked up the slopes :?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Soultaker wrote:I was being sarcastic. Heh.
I don't like sarcastic people. :?
As for your project hope you can pull it off. The word "Originial" seems to be a hard word to master nowadays when it comes to any project.
Indeed, not only in this community, but also in the industry. Many concepts are so much reused in other games it's hard to come up with something brand new that wouldn't rip off, steal things from other games.

I believe instead of "original" games should be in possesion of a much more powerful adjective: fun :)

EDIT:
ellmo, that looks very badass, and plays even better, but TBH I hope Graf will show up to point the stuff about the colision stuff with 3d slopes ;)
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Paul wrote:I hope Graf will show up to point the stuff about the colision stuff with 3d slopes ;)
Yeah, me too... using 3D_Bridges here didn't work... Player will get to stuck anyways.
Psycho Siggi

Post by Psycho Siggi »

Aha, now I understand the thread at Zdoom.org a whole lot better. I'll admit I had percieved that thread incorrectly.

I'm pretty sure you story line will go through quite a few changes before you consider it final, because IMO it still has quit a few space filler things in it (like borrowing Underdark from Forgotten Realms). It still seems interesting to me though.

It should be quite fun to create moody atmospheres with GZDoom's dynamic lights and those fog tricks Solarsnowall came up with. This should be a very interesting level set to play, when it's done.
ellmo

Post by ellmo »

Not to mention I could have written something more about it on ZDoom.org...
Well, thanks for taking a look in here, and don't worry, it will have an interesting plot.

Return to “Projects”