That Weird Mod of Mine | ZDRP 4, kinda

Talk about our & your projects.
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

That Weird Mod of Mine | ZDRP 4, kinda

Post by KeksDose »

Some of you may remember my first project ever, the ZDRP, which replaces explosions, fire, projectiles, blood and all that stuff with real time particle effects coded in with some DECORATE and a bunch of graphics. I kinda figured that it was lacking: Many effects felt tacky, explosions were uglier in the final version than in the beta, many projectiles weren't replaced and to top it off the coding was unsatisfactorily unphantasmagoriously blamatoriou~ I mean inefficient and unorganized. :P

Well, this mod follows in its small footsteps: Only it's 10,000 astronomical units better.

That weird mod of yours? Seriously?
This mod has no proper name. I always refer to it as "that weird mod of mine". Internally, all actors are prefixed with 'DDM_' for "Dat Doom Mod". Don't worry if you don't get the reference, only a select few will understand. :P

What does it do?
The mod aims to enhance the experience of playing Doom with many cosmetic changes, but also fixing odd issues from Vanilla Doom and slight game play changes. Quite a change from the ZDRP where I was pretty obsessed with keeping game play unchanged. :p

It also includes many miscellaneous additions, graphical and animation adjustments and things I just felt were cool, such as blended animations where suitable.

Screenshots or it didn't happen

Plans
Well, what you see on the screenshots will pretty much happen with the rest of the game's actors. The mod already contains a lot of things, which I'm going to present in due time. As for now, I am open to your feedback! :P
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: That Weird Mod of Mine | ZDRP 4, kinda

Post by Blue Shadow »

KeksDose wrote:The mod aims to enhance the experience of playing Doom with many cosmetic changes, but also fixing odd issues from Vanilla Doom and slight game play changes.
Sounds like the typical "enhancement" mods we see these days. What makes yours special and different to those mods, if you don't mind me asking?
KeksDose
Stronghold Team

Post by KeksDose »

Blue Shadow wrote:What makes yours special and different to those mods, if you don't mind me asking?
This mod does things way beyond what usual enhancement mods deal with. For example, map fixes without changing the actual map and also providing enhancements for ZDoom specific things such as the sparks and particle fountains and death sequences by special damage types. You could say it's more of a ZDoom enhancer than a Doom enhancer, because you're not going to see all of its features in just the IWAD maps.

I just never spout out all the features in the first post so I don't enter development hell. Always save something for a rainy day, so to speak. :P
Blue Shadow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Blue Shadow »

KeksDose wrote:This mod does things way beyond what usual enhancement mods deal with. For example, map fixes without changing the actual map
Could you provide an example, please? Because I'm curious as to what are these fixes.
providing enhancements for ZDoom specific things such as the sparks and particle fountains and death sequences by special damage types.
Do you plan on putting together a ZDoom map demonstrating those features? It would be nice. :)

Return to “Projects”