NeoHippo

Re: [DM] Morgenstern NOW WITH A FRICKIN' BETA! {WIP}

Post by NeoHippo »

Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Yes; despite its currently a misnomer, that script is necessary and without it - the 3D teleporter will not function correctly.

I'll slowly build up documentation as to how to build up the resources and compiling.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Thank you everyone for helping out and trying out the beta build; the final build could be released within the coming months.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

NeoHippo wrote:In MAP08 I had to increase the switch time to 16, else it was just too frustrating
Spoiler:
I am a bit late, but I decided to increase the time aswell. I think the new value is 14, it is much easier to get through with the new time - but still not ridiculously easy.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

I am pleased to announce that the B11-ND is now a requirement! Now we can have a fully immersive deathmatch environment that everyone can enjoy!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Haha. It's interesting seeing all the 4/1 jokes being played on the internet today. :P
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Could be worse!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I did not hear or see about that. I guess it's lucky I didn't use GMail. o.o

I did a Dopefish prank here, but nobody seemed to notice. It was removed around Midnight UTC.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:I did a Dopefish prank here, but nobody seemed to notice. It was removed around Midnight UTC.
I noticed it ;)
It's been awhile since I seen the green Dopefish

Sadly these forums just doesn't get a lot of user traffic compared to ZDoom or even Doomworld, but with as many guests that come on these forums for GZDoom and other topics - I am sure they noticed ;)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Since the last beta release, there has been innumerous changes within the project - which most came from the feedback that everyone has provided. I would like to give everyone a new modern beta build for everyone to test and share thoughts on its current state.

Some changes:
  • Jumping pads no longer adds momentum towards the player.
  • Added Smooth Weapons
  • High-Def sounds
  • High-Res sprites [for some items]
  • Pretty jump pads
  • Pretty torches
  • Maps are now atmospheric
  • Generalized bug-fixes

Spoiler: Engine Bugs and Reported Issues
I might have to raise the requirements to GZDoom 2.2 and GZDoom 1.10, but I am not exactly quite sure yet.

I hope everyone enjoys this new beta build :smile:
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [DM] Morgenstern - Atmospheric Beta {WIP}

Post by Tiger »

Lately, I have trying to squeeze as much as I can to shrink the project overall, - so far I have currently hit the lim (calculus for limit). If omitting the music used within this project, I was able to achieve at ~ 27.8MB 7Z archive file size. But with music, I can only achieve ~153MB 7Z archive file size. I am hoping that soon I can retrieve the original music sources (lossless), and hopefully try to get a reasonable size overall while keeping the 'Out of the box experience' for everyone. However, if this ambitious idea does not make it through, I might have to look at other alternatives. Such alternatives would be: Use Deus Vault II idea of having a standard version (no music) and have a special edition (music), or separate the music as an additional PWAD, or leave it all together.

Bare with me, I am trying ;)
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I think the best idea is to include the music as a separate PWAD.

What we did with All Out War 2 was we transcribed extremely low quality versions of music with the default package, and repackaged it with higher quality music for those who wanted to download it. It saved on bandwidth costs, and it also gave options for people who preferred one or the other. I find most people play games without music anyway, so they can listen to their own, so the low quality music is really just there to set the mood, the high quality version is for those who want to enjoy it.
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

Tiger wrote:Could be worse!
Looks like sometimes, shooting the messenger is actually legitimate.

What a dumb joke. You never interfere with core functionalities in a prank if you want it to be harmless.

Like imagine an ATM which pranks you by debiting your account of ten times the money that you withdraw, hilarious April Fools, amirite?
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Gez wrote:Like imagine an ATM which pranks you by debiting your account of ten times the money that you withdraw, hilarious April Fools, amirite?
Good prank if you're a fan of concrete and metal bars. Considering the animosity the general public already has towards banks, getting away with it would be very difficult in most parts of the world.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:I think the best idea is to include the music as a separate PWAD.

What we did with All Out War 2 was we transcribed extremely low quality versions of music with the default package, and repackaged it with higher quality music for those who wanted to download it. It saved on bandwidth costs, and it also gave options for people who preferred one or the other. I find most people play games without music anyway, so they can listen to their own, so the low quality music is really just there to set the mood, the high quality version is for those who want to enjoy it.
I am going to try an experiment. I am going to include these midi's into the main package, but have Shane's music as an optional PWAD -- same methodology as AOW2 though with the midi as being the difference.

I might have a new beta soon for this experiment; I need to see how everyone takes this change - though in limited channels to avoid static.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier

Return to “Projects”