[DM] Morgenstern - Released!

Talk about our & your projects.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [DM] Morgenstern - NOW WITH DOMINATION! {WIP}

Post by Tiger »

Tiger wrote:Though, the size of the project may soon start to dwindle as I'll start cutting unused assets - - maybe; its a topic I'll have to soon enter into as this project is extremely close to a release.
I went ahead and forwarded this to a ticket.

On a unrelated note, my NVIDIA GTX580 is dead :( . Everything lags so badly on an Intel HD 4000 iGPU....
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Tiger wrote:On a unrelated note, my NVIDIA GTX580 is dead :( . Everything lags so badly on an Intel HD 4000 iGPU....
That's actually not a bad thing at all. Sometimes splitting sectors, creating obstructions, etc, can make all the difference. GZDoom does not like open spaces with high linedef counts at all.

AOW suffered from this, heavily, and it was why my Lava Giant map was never played because it was just a giant open space with tons of detail and that just didn't work.

Though, it sucks you lost your good GPU, sorry to hear that. :(
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:That's actually not a bad thing at all. Sometimes splitting sectors, creating obstructions, etc, can make all the difference. GZDoom does not like open spaces with high linedef counts at all.
To be honest, there's a lot of things that could be made better or even addressed better. Some maps that focus vertically quickly become painful to detail because not only I have to manage everything inbetween, but also - I would have to deal with the texture alignments and any potential leaks or breaks. For maps that are excessively large, it's just a draw-back from me using a 256x256 base grid setup when I drafted the maps on paper while focusing on larger player base that - - does not exist anymore. I could edit the maps further, but - then the feedback I would receive from all ends would spiral me to an endless cycle of changes. The feedback I have received and noticed from other topics, would spiral me towards a path where it is no longer fun, but a tiring chore. For example, being told that everything in the project should be removed and start again, but I must then have 'Decay' approve my maps (IRC conversation with Dynamo and others).... Though, don't take it as if I am ignoring your feedback or belittling you, despite what others believe[1], some of the maps do need more work to them while others need an overhaul in some section. The knowledge and feedback I have learned through out this entire project, will be carried over to the next project.

Its all a learning experience for me after all :D
Eruanna wrote:Though, it sucks you lost your good GPU, sorry to hear that.
It all happened in good timing; I was able to make Domination possible and release the beta before it died over.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Well - the maps are beautiful in their own right, and this does deserve some online play. I guess I was just a little fearful that they would suffer the "AOW13" effect - because a lot of people in the Doom community don't have the kind of graphics card that can handle it.

Let's hope at least this map pack merits a mention in this year's cacowards though - it definitely deserves it!

If it brings you any comfort - my Intel HD 4600 handles it surprisingly well. It does lag, but not as much as I expected it to. One trick that I use when using it is I will lower the resolution to compensate for the lack of processing time it can put out, and it usually fixes a lot of performance issues, I don't know if that will help with your HD4000.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:I guess I was just a little fearful that they would suffer the "AOW13" effect - because a lot of people in the Doom community don't have the kind of graphics card that can handle it.
Very possible as Zandronum, for example, still uses the ancient renderer engine in GZDoom 1.x branch. Though, when we want to make something new and looking forward, we have to make sacrifices somewhere, even if people hate you for it.
Eruanna wrote:Let's hope at least this map pack merits a mention in this year's cacowards though - it definitely deserves it!
This is really nice, I am speechless to be honest. I don't know what to say :P

Eruanna wrote:If it brings you any comfort - my Intel HD 4600 handles it surprisingly well. It does lag, but not as much as I expected it to. One trick that I use when using it is I will lower the resolution to compensate for the lack of processing time it can put out, and it usually fixes a lot of performance issues, I don't know if that will help with your HD4000.
I'll have to try that out. I have one more map that needs to be made, so if this trick works - that'll be excellent.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

One thing that does bother me though - why is there a chaingun sprite above Doomguy's face? (Not to mention, that is missing)

I'm probably one of those 1 in 800 people who doesn't pull the status bar down off the screen when I play things. It can be seen in my VID_FPS screenshot on the previous page.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:One thing that does bother me though - why is there a chaingun sprite above Doomguy's face? (Not to mention, that is missing)
I don't quite remember, I'll look into that when I can. As for the Doomguy's face being missing - - no idea...
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Tiger wrote:
Eruanna wrote:One thing that does bother me though - why is there a chaingun sprite above Doomguy's face? (Not to mention, that is missing)
<br abp="667"><br abp="668">I don't quite remember, I'll look into that when I can. As for the Doomguy's face being missing - - no idea...
Screenshot_Doom_20160611_202119.jpg
Looks like I found both of the issues with one flag:

Code: Select all

+Inventory.InvBar // Show the weapon icon in the HUD Inventory list
I think I misunderstood the fullscreen HUD and the weapons showing ontop of the Status bar. I think I was thinking that with this flag - this will show the weapons in the fullscreen HUD, I was wrong. Instead this flag will show the weapons on the status bar. I'll fix that soon!

EDIT
Done!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Neat. ^_^

Manually applied the changes - appears to work.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:Neat. ^_^

Manually applied the changes - appears to work.
Awesome!
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

I have not yet played all maps, will do that eventually.

Just a couple of observations:
AMISERY.wad has turned into a slideshow at 2 fps. Not fun at all.
In MAP14 some health bonuses bounce into the floor.
In MAP08 the time delay to keep the gate open is too short by ca 0.75 sec. It's very frustating until one has to clip through the gate.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Kappes Buur wrote:In MAP14 some health bonuses bounce into the floor.
Fixed
Kappes Buur wrote:In MAP08 the time delay to keep the gate open is too short by ca 0.75 sec. It's very frustating until one has to clip through the gate.
Revised
Kappes Buur wrote:AMISERY.wad has turned into a slideshow at 2 fps. Not fun at all.
Hopefully the Help image helps with informing users on how to make that slightly better. There's not much more I can do, I believe.

Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

I could bring the fps up to about 11 fps in AMISERY by deleting half the rain and fog.
Still not good. Too bad I won't play it. And it is such a good map.

Another 'items bounce into floor' in MAP03, this time medkits
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Kappes Buur wrote:Another 'items bounce into floor' in MAP03, this time medkits
Fixed, thanks for finding these!
Kappes Buur wrote:I could bring the fps up to about 11 fps in AMISERY by deleting half the rain and fog.Still not good. Too bad I won't play it. And it is such a good map.
Is MAP04 playable for you atleast? That map is adjacent to Abandoned Misery [Lite], which cuts back on a lot of intensive resources.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Kappes Buur
Persecution Complex

Post by Kappes Buur »

MAP04 plays at ca 27 fps at startup, with other portions of the map going up to ca 37 fps, so not too bad.

Return to “Projects”