[DM] Morgenstern - Released!

Talk about our & your projects.
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [DM] Morgenstern - NOW WITH DOMINATION! {WIP}

Post by Tiger »

Kappes Buur wrote:MAP04 plays at ca 27 fps at startup, with other portions of the map going up to ca 37 fps, so not too bad.
That's good. Abandoned Misery (pretty version) is my favorite map, which is probably going to be my standard when making single map projects.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:One thing I will note, however: 7zip files take a lot longer for ZDoom/derivs to load than regular Zip files. On my system, the load time is painfully slow, even with a newer CPU, and I have often found myself converting the project to .pk3 format, instead, despite the significant amount of space increase.
I made some really big changes just recently which relates to the file size; for the Release Candidate build (release date is soon), can you see if 7z is still too slow for you and compare the results with ZIP?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I'm probably gonna have to wait for the RC build, sorry. But it does look like, indeed, you've reduced the file size quite a lot. :)
Gez
Developer
Developer

Post by Gez »

It's because of solid compression. The zip format doesn't do that, so when you need to extract one lump from a zip archive, you can decompress only that lump. With 7z, on the other hand, you have to decompress the entire archive every time you need one lump from it. Only solution to avoid slow downs would be to cache all of the uncompressed lumps, which is not necessarily a good idea either...
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Gez wrote:It's because of solid compression. The zip format doesn't do that, so when you need to extract one lump from a zip archive, you can decompress only that lump. With 7z, on the other hand, you have to decompress the entire archive every time you need one lump from it. Only solution to avoid slow downs would be to cache all of the uncompressed lumps, which is not necessarily a good idea either...
Well then, PK3 it is then! I'll try to start distributing the future builds into ZIP archive files, if I forget to do this - feel free to throw tomatoes while holding pitchforks demanding for a PK3 :P
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Re: [DM] Morgenstern - RC1 Released {WIP}

Post by Tiger »

I have just published a Release Candidate build, we're getting extremely close to the finish line!
Happy testing!

List of changes:
  • Imported a new map, START. This is adjacent to Quake and AlexMax's START map.
  • All maps now route to START. This is ideal for small netgames and single-player DM games, but not so much for large games. Please use Map List if running this project in Zandronum.
  • Music Player will not play in the START map.
  • TITLEMAP will now force the player to map 'START', when attempting to access the TITLEMAP when the GameType() is not GAME_TITLE_MAP.
  • Redid the map screenshots, they look much better now.
  • Purged unused assets.
  • Doom2.wad is now the default IWAD; when accessing this PWAD, it will tell (G)ZDoom to automatically include the Doom2.wad IWAD without having to prompt the user.
  • When selecting maps from the START map, all inventory and health is restored. Hopefully this resolves any issue with players spawning to a map with absolutely nothing in their inventory....
  • Added a script to warn the user if they're not using the OpenGL renderer.
  • Added a script to warn the user if they're playing in the Cooperative game mode.
  • Provided more randomness to the THING angles.
  • Revised the rain spawn size in MAP01
  • Fixed a type in the SNDINFO; AMBIENT12 was never referencing to 'World/ElectricBuzzing1' correctly, instead it previously was referencing 'World/ElectricBuzzing'
  • Revised secret door delay in MAP08; the delay was 12 octics, now 16 octics.
  • Fixed items that were leaking through the floors or various other places; thanks to Kappes Buur for finding the nasty ones
  • Weapons no longer show-up above the titlebar, thus also causing the Mug shot to never appear.
  • Updated the ReadMe
  • Minor fixes and corrections

>> DOWNLOADS <<
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I'm liking it.

First thing that comes to mind - for the MAPINFO entry for "START" you may want to include "NoIntermission"

I'll have more comments later the more I get to play it. :)
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:First thing that comes to mind - for the MAPINFO entry for "START" you may want to include "NoIntermission"
Thanks for pointing this out! Fixed

EDIT
Actually, looks like it is the intended behavior for Netgames, not sure if I can really change that behavior. Here's the function used in the START map to advance to a new map

Code: Select all

// Teleport Map
// This function will teleport the player to the requested map
// ----
// Parameters
//      mapName <string>
//          Map name to teleport too, for example: "MAP01"
function void TeleportMap (str mapName)
{
    ChangeLevel(
                mapName, // Change to map
                0, // position
                CHANGELEVEL_NOINTERMISSION | // No intermission
                CHANGELEVEL_PRERAISEWEAPON | // Weapons are raised
                CHANGELEVEL_RESETHEALTH | // Reset health
                CHANGELEVEL_RESETINVENTORY, // Reset inventory
                );
} // TeleportMap()
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:Also - as a note for amusement - I think you just gave Graf a new mapset for GZDoom benchmarks. My 860M has dipped down to 20FPS in some places.
I think I have a theory as to why its bogged down at that specific view point; I ran into this very same issue with this map when I used Dark Stone's handling with the Rain asset. There is a huge trade-off that I particularly don't like, and that is reducing the number of rain spawners and enlarging the spawner size. By enlarging the spawner size, the rain that is being spawned from the spawner - will reduce as the amount of rain that is being produced has to make up for spawners overall size. I used ~64 MU coverage size spawners so I can get a reasonable amount of rain within Dark Stone, Shadowmaker is going to use ~128MU which provides no noticeable frame-rate jittery. Sadly, the size will produce far less rain than what I want, but this might be a better trade-off in terms of overall performance.

If I remember too, I'll try to push an update on this after I finish with that other project - which is not far away from being finished.
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Tiger wrote:If I remember too, I'll try to push an update on this after I finish with that other project - which is not far away from being finished.
I lied; can you see if the 'Dark Stone' map [MAP05] works better for you in this build?
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

I will try it later on when I get some time. :)
Rachael
Developer
Developer

Post by Rachael »

Sitting at 30 FPS at the worst point. 25 with the embedded GPU.

I would be tempted to say it's a GPU problem except my embedded and dedicated GPU perform the same on that particular map. I don't know what's causing it to slow down so much. But I think it should be acceptable for those with older systems, at this point (hopefully?).
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Eruanna wrote:Sitting at 30 FPS at the worst point. 25 with the embedded GPU.
I guess its better than nothing....
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
Tiger
Developer
Developer

Post by Tiger »

Since I am on a holding-pattern - waiting for a new release on both Zandronum 3.0 beta and GZDoom, here is another build but with little changes:

Changelog:
  • Documentation updates
  • Revised credits
  • The script 'CheckCoopGameMode' is now has the 'CLIENTSIDE' flag
  • Fixed maps Abandoned Misery and Abandoned Misery [Pretty] were a jumping pad was previously not using the JumpPad script. Thus, causing problems if ThingStop() was to be activated after ThrustThing() call via Sector Thing Triggers.
  • Thrashed duplicated credits
  • Revised WADINFO to include 'Primary purpose : Deathmatch and Domination'
  • Remove outside boundaries and control sectors from the Automap [All maps]
  • Railgun no longer reloads; feels too weird
  • Reduced the number of Rain Spawners used in the map Dark Stone, but enlarged their area size. This might help with the framerate?
  • Thrashed superfluous MAPINFO properties
  • Very minor corrections

>> DOWNLOADS <<
Nicholas 'Tiger' Gautier
NeoHippo

Re: [DM] Morgenstern - RC2 Released {WIP}

Post by NeoHippo »

Something I noticed before but failed to mention.
Slade3 cannot open your pk3 files

I have to un7zip the pk3 first and then re7zip it before Slade3 accepts it.
Not difficult to do but a nuisance.

Return to “Projects”