GZDoom Crazy RC Cars!

Talk about our & your projects.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

This wad needs sounds very badly.

BTW. Those scripts you sent me are a bit hard to understand. Catch me on the IRC.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Any ideas on how I should do sound? This is an area I haven't given much thought.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

I haven't seen any of the scripts and stuff, but if at all possible I think you should play a series of revving sounds based on the speed its going at, so it sounds (realisticly) like the motor is being strained more at higher speeds. I imgine it would take a bit of point calculation (distance travelled in a second or something), but the resulting script could also be used for a speedometer, too, if I'm any judge.

Also, if speed turns out to be 0, you should activate an idling sound until it is going again, so the sounds would have to be short and loop well in order for this to work.

One thing I'm not sure about is what you would do to mae the car screech when turning, because tyres don't just squeal as soon as the car turns, it takes a bit of turning for that to happen...
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

For screeching, put a delay when the turning starts - the delay should get shorter depending on how fast the car is going when the turning starts. So if the player is going fairly slow, wait a split second before playing the screech sound. If they're at top speed, it ought to start immediately.

Oh, and for graphical effect: when the screeching begins, have the car start spewing smoke.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Yeah, static custom missiles ought to do the trick for that, just like the muzzle smoke from some WRW guns.
solarsnowfall
Persecution Complex

Post by solarsnowfall »

Phobus wrote:I haven't seen any of the scripts and stuff, but if at all possible I think you should play a series of revving sounds based on the speed its going at, so it sounds (realisticly) like the motor is being strained more at higher speeds. I imgine it would take a bit of point calculation (distance travelled in a second or something), but the resulting script could also be used for a speedometer, too, if I'm any judge.
What kind of racing mod would this be if I wasn't already calculating the speed? :P Should be simple enough. I'd probably use the same sound for all speeds, but play them at different pitches for different speeds.
wildweasel wrote:For screeching, put a delay when the turning starts - the delay should get shorter depending on how fast the car is going when the turning starts. So if the player is going fairly slow, wait a split second before playing the screech sound. If they're at top speed, it ought to start immediately.
I had a rudimentary steering delay put in, but I didn't like it, I'll rewrite it eventually, so that the car doesn't spin so fast at low speeds. For the sounds, I'll probably just compare the angle the car is moving in, versus the actual angle the car is facing, and assign the tire screeching accordingly.

Return to “Projects”