New KwikStrip BETA!

News hot off the presses! (sort-of)

Moderator: BioHazard

TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

BioHazard wrote:
DoomRater wrote:-doesn't properly save data like the info text color, info length, etc. (Could this be because you have to save it as a 256 color bitmap? it'd help if you specified that)
Works for me. I just made a skin with a 24-bit bitmap.
And for me (Default skin a weird blue stylee. I like it.)
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

Ick, it still crashes when you add a program
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Really, you guys need to catch me on the IRC so I can do further tests.

When do you mean "adding items"? As soon as you click the [add] button? When you put in text? When you press [OK]? When exactly does it die?
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

It dies when I OK on the add item box. It appears to hang for a few seconds before the standard microsoft "KwikStrip has blah blah blah". It works fine on my laptop, though. :/
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

What version of Windows are you guys running? Because it works fine for me in both XP SP2 and Win95.
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

BioHazard wrote:
DoomRater wrote:-keeps resetting my y-offset (I have it positioned next to the taskbar)
Fixed. I can't believe I didn't think of the solution to this earlier...
Confirmed NOT fixed in the beta 3. It jumped up when I clicked OK and when I went to go fix it it jumped up AGAIN. (edit: Specifically to 100 pixels)
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

wildweasel wrote:What version of Windows are you guys running? Because it works fine for me in both XP SP2 and Win95.
WinXP SP2. It crashes inside NTDLL.dll:
I've ran beta 2 through VS 2003's debugger/disassembler on my beige box.

The debugger reports this crash:

Code: Select all

Unhandled exception at 0x7c910370 in KwikStrip.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.

On the first line of this section of code:

Code: Select all

7C910370  mov         cx,word ptr [eax]
7C910373  inc         eax 
7C910374  inc         eax 
7C910375  test        cx,cx
7C910378  jne         7C910370
7C91037A  sub         eax,dword ptr [ebp+8]
7C91037D  sar         eax,1
7C91037F  dec         eax 
7C910380  pop         ebp  
BlazingPhoenix

Post by BlazingPhoenix »

BioHazard wrote: When do you mean "adding items"? As soon as you click the [add] button? When you put in text? When you press [OK]? When exactly does it die?
It crashes after I put in the program info then when I click OK it crashes.
Sorry for not being to descriptive :(
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Oh yeah, I did a number on the bugtracker. Two graphical glitches and a feature request for KS, and I think a feature request for KS skin. Also, the preview window can be redrawn if you click and drag the window below the taskbar and back up again.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Actually, I ran into a bug that made KS crash in NTDLL when clicking OK and I fixed it. Hopefully it will work in the next beta. I will be out as soom as I finish KwikSkin.

Anyway, responding to a few bug reports:
the bugtracker wrote:Add Drag and Drop support for applications/files. Dragging an item to the arrow would add the item or open the add item box depending on a user setting. Dragging a button or item to another button would change its location.
I split this up into 2 bugs, 40 is far past what I want KwikStrip to do. Sure it would be nice, but it would require massive amounts of changes to support it.
I have considerd 42 already and forgot to add it to the list. Still, it's a bunch of code, but I won't have to hack up the engine.
the bugtracker wrote:Holding a button, moving off the button, then back onto the button does not re-depress it.
Right, exactly how I coded it. Moving off a button makes you move onto another button. Therefore, changing the ID variables. Adding this feature would be quite difficult.
the bugtracker wrote:Does not snap to the side of the window if a window is docked or undocked from the right side of the screen.
There is no way to fix this as KwikStrip gets no notification when something docks on it's side. Unless you mean something else?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

What's strange is that Metapad and other Win32 apps move over just fine when a window is docked on the right side. It doesn't seem like anything is notifying them of anything.
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Just to clarify what you are asking for; Kwikstrip is running. Then you - for example - Move your taskbar to the right side, kwikstrip gets covered up when it should move itself so it's visible?

I watched the window with Spy++ and it didn't receive any messages when something covered it up. The only messages it gets are the expected WM_PAINT and WM_ERASEBKGND when you take whatever it is back off it.

I could have it reposition itself every second or so by using WM_TIMER, but that would just be extra load on your system for almost no reason.

Is there some window/wndclass style/flag I can set to make the window be notified of stuff like this?
DoomRater

Post by DoomRater »

Essentially, yes. This is more annoying for someone like myself who docks his buddy list on the right side of the screen.

I noticed it replaces itself after going into configuration and exiting from it. Anyway, the only thing I can suggest is to ask the Gaim people about it.
Shinjanji

Post by Shinjanji »

At the very least, just make a shortcut key/button/whatever that tells KwikStrip to reposition itself.
TheDarkArchon

Post by TheDarkArchon »

Bug: KwikStrip does not adjust it's posistion when changing the resolution.

(Yes that's me on the desktop :P)

Return to “From Bio's Desk”