I guess I owe you guys an explanation...

News hot off the presses! (sort-of)

Moderator: BioHazard

BioHazard

I guess I owe you guys an explanation...

Post by BioHazard »

It's been a while since anything has happened here so I thought I'd let you in on what's going on.

I don't have time to work on these projects anymore. I just got a new job so that has been sucking up a good bit of my time. It's not a lot, but I don't want to come home from a hard day of programming to sit down and do more programming. Only on a rare occurance will I open up VC at all.

Not only that, but now that I have made the switch to Linux, writing Win32 software has kind of become one of those situations where it's something of no benefit to me. Just like the software I write for work. If I can't run my own software, it's hard to justify writing it. Especially since I don't get any donations or anything to make spending the hours and hours of development time worth it. (a huge mega-awesome super thanks to the 3 of you who did donate!). I don't mean to sound selfish. I hope you understand.

What will happen to my software? Well, I'll finish KwikStrip 2.5 and then release all my software (even my testing stuff) into the open under the GPL. That way someone else can pick up things like ZDL and hopfully finish what I started. I will be glad to answer any questions regarding the source code because my style is known to be fairly um, hard to read. I will also probably re-organize most of the software on my site due to the fact that most of it is totally broken and crappy.

It seems I'm moving on, I hardly ever touch ZDoom anymore, in fact, it has been at least a month since I played it last, much less edit for it. I have a job, new responsibilities, a huge list of work-related tasks to deal with, among other things. Will I leave the community? Of course not. You guys are almost like family (as sad and nerdy as that sounds :? ), I'll still moderate ZDF and I'll still hang around here, but my knowledge of ZDoom will eventually wane to the point of being trivial. I'll still try to help when I can, but I'm going another direction. Maybe if the planets align and pigs start flying, I might write ZD tools under Linux, but don't hold your breath. I give you my word though: This is not the last you will hear from me.

Will bio.drd stay around? I don't know, hopefully I'm important enough to the community that Grubber won't delete me just because I put doom and my software on the very-very back burner. I'll try to keep updates coming, but they will probably be an occasional blog update or a random blurb. I'll do my best. I'll still be active on the rest of DRD, so I'm not going anywhere where you won't see me.

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but all good things come to an end. (or at least slow down)
Last edited by BioHazard on Wed Oct 04, 2006 19:07, edited 1 time in total.
wildweasel
DRD Team Admin (Inactive)

Post by wildweasel »

Well...at least you'll still be around.
Enjay
Developer
Developer

Post by Enjay »

Well, that's both good and bad news. Good that you've got a decent job and you've got new directions to go in but bad that you'll (understandably) be slowing down your input to things Zdoom related. Good luck with all your new commitments though.
grubber
Site Founder

Post by grubber »

There's a new opportunity for you (in Linux): you can write cross-platform software ;)
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Grubber wrote:you can write cross-platform software ;)
Yes I could, and I plan on doing so, but then it will take up more memory due to loading extra libraries. Who would want to run KwikStrip if it uses up 16MB?
MasterOFDeath

Post by MasterOFDeath »

GTK KwikStrip *shudders*
BioHazard

Post by BioHazard »

Actually, I really don't plan on doing KwikStrip for Linux due to the inconsistency and general lack of Icons. Are they ICO, PNG or what? I'm confused.

Return to “From Bio's Desk”